It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: IDE interface with Wizztronics working?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:05 pm 

So I've installed the Wizztronics 256K upgrade into my 800XL, and things seem to be fine. I did solder and install this myself, with my meager soldering skills.

Feeling inspired, I have tried to install the IDE interface into this computer as well. The internal version.

For the life of me, I can't seem to find a CF + IDE->CF adapter combination that will work. I've been trying a mix of 48M, 2GB, 4GB, 6GB, and 8GB CF's from various brands with 3 versions of CF+IDE adapters. Half will let me autodetect the CF, and will hold a partition. When I attempt to install Dos (from MyDOS cartridge), I get 139 and 161 errors either during I)nitialization or during H)copying.

I'm wondering if my problem is one of the following:
1) Faulty Wizztronics installation (The computer seems very stable and will play other game cartridges)
2) A timing or other incompatibility with the Wizztronics and MyIDE interfaces
3) A timing or other incompatibility with the CF's themselves (type II?)

I am not using any CF that has been listed elsewhere in the forum as working, so I'm leaning towards #3, but I'd like to rule out #1 and #2 first before I continue trying to source other CF's...

I don't have a scope, but I do have a multimeter for whatever that's worth.

Thoughts appreciated.

Post subject: Re: IDE interface with Wizztronics working?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:18 pm 

I would lean towards a combination of 2 and 3. Number two needs ruling out first before you go spending more money on CF cards (been there and got the t-shirt).

Since I started writing a SpartaDOS X MyIDE driver, I performed Mathy's timing mod on the Atari:

http://www.mathyvannisselroy.nl/blackbox.htm

(under "Fixing Phi2 the Proper Way"). Prior to that (using a Rev. 3.1 external MyIDE cart), I wasted a considerable sum of money buying CF cards in the belief incompatible media was to blame. I bought four and not one of them worked. That's not to say every card I own works now I've stabilized the Atari, but two of them work perfectly and another one's weakening.

Mathy's mod isn't for the feint of heart (mine involves a 3-high stack of ICs behind Pokey), but it works. I'd be very suprised if one of your existing CF cards didn't work after you performed the mod.

Getting MyIDE to work properly often involves a lot of frustration and head-scratching (not to mention a lot of soldering), but once it does work, it's great.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:02 pm 

I used to have Wiztronics 256K (but now have Hias'/Bernd's upgrade) and an internal MyIDE kit (not Atarimax) in my 800XL. I also initially got errors 139 (but don't recall getting 161).

I was advised to not use pin-20 power and to opt for direct power tapped at the power switched. This cured all my problems.

I've successfully used a Simpletech module (similar to the Transcend ones) and then an IDE to CF adapter (one of the ones pictured in another thread here) with a 2GB SanDisk Ulltra II CF and also a 1GB Dane-Elec Xs CF.

BTW, I was also advised to avoid the Mexico manufactured CPUs due to a weak/fault PHI2 but I've since tried one without issue.

Hope this information helps.

-Steve Sheppard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:45 am 

Home-made MyIDE or bought from atari-max?

Most issues are power related. Old atari PSU's are getting flacky.....

If this doesn't solve the problem, go for the modding version.
Here is were my knowledge ends, I have no to little problems with my PAL systems.

My 800xl with 4Mb/internal IDE (homebrew) and 2.5"HD works 100% error-free.
(800xl-REV-B pcb)
I wired the interface directly to the CPU.

Success,
Sijmen.

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:51 am 

Some updates below. Thanks all for the tips.

mr-atari wrote:
Home-made MyIDE or bought from atari-max?

Bought from Atari Max. Dos version 4.3i.

mr-atari wrote:
Most issues are power related. Old atari PSU's are getting flacky.....

Yeah, I suspected that might be an issue. I'll try finding another one.

mr-atari wrote:
If this doesn't solve the problem, go for the modding version.
Here is were my knowledge ends, I have no to little problems with my PAL systems.

I actually did try one part of that mod (pin 4->pin 13 of the 74LS08). It hasn't seemed to make any difference. I'm tempted to try see if I can detect a faulty CPU with the blow-dryer test.

mr-atari wrote:
My 800xl with 4Mb/internal IDE (homebrew) and 2.5"HD works 100% error-free.
(800xl-REV-B pcb)
I wired the interface directly to the CPU.

Success,
Sijmen.

Thanks for the tips. I tried looking for a drive with less than 1A load rating and found nothing. I'll be keeping my eyes open. Trying external drives on external power supplies netted me similar results, so I'm not optimistic going with a HDD will solve anything.

I'm still going to try to replace the PSU, but I'm left with the same results after the timing fix mod:

I can Initialize a disk (720SD),
but trying to H)copy to it gives me either error 169 or 139.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]