It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:06 pm

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: My Atari XEGS hates Flash Media! D:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:24 pm 

hi!
so, works with an old 20gb 2.5" laptop hdd with whining noisy bearings, and other Hard Disks.

Does not work with any CF adapter, or flash module. I have tried:
Transcend 4GB ts4gdom44v-s industrial 44 pin flash module
Kingston 1GB CF
Sandisk Ultra 4GB CF kingston 256MB
lexar 64MB CF
and a Kingston 1GB module (different from other 1GB)
2x different CF to IDE adapters.

2x different 5V Power Supplies (some generic Dlink 5V 2A, and Atari Version)
and have supplied 5V to adapters from a separate power supply (came with a usb to ide or sata adapter)

I'm pretty sure it's not power related. and I'm sure it's not the install that faulty because it all works fine with a 2.5" ready to fail laptop hdd.
Some Googling told me might be PBI interface thing and so, will update when I get extra circuit built and installed. Thought I'd drop a line here to tell my tales of woe ;)

some recent pics: http://zark.homeserver.com/atari_xegs/100_0136.jpg and the rest http://zark.homeserver.com/atari_xegs/

Post subject: Re: My Atari XEGS hates Flash Media! D:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:47 am 

Hi Zark,

Hmmm, having a quick look at the pictures, I see your 40-44pin adapter (?) has a missing pin-20.
That one (to gether with the 5volt enable jumper) is used to get 5 volt to the flash-media.
Without power, no media ;-)

Nice XEGS :-)

Later,
Sijmen.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:22 pm 

Yeah, I didn't add the missing pin. But the flash is a 44pin and the extra 4 pins are used for power.

Yeah I like the XEGS, was always envious of it when I had the 130XE back in the day, being a teenager and wanting it for Gaming :D

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:24 am 

You could try to switch the wire-hookup from GTIA (30 and 33) to CPU (39 and 36).

The O2 (CPU pin 39) is unbuffered and timing of that signal is sightly different.

Later,
Sijmen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:50 pm 

OK, This Works!

Some kinda timing issue then.

Sorry it took so long to do something about this ... you know Life sometimes does that. :roll: :lol:

Anyway, now using a Transcend 4gb 44pin ide flash module, and re-learning how to do this. Had to solder up an 44 pin adapter to USB IDE Adapter and now can plug into my Computer and do something.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:58 am 

Argh!

Every time I iNit and use auto, I get different values :/

Know of any Timing fixes for the xegs? I found this: http://www.mathyvannisselroy.nl/blackbox.htm#fixingphi2 but doesn't mention the xegs

Could it be the CPU?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:13 am 

I see 2.5 years between previous post.
Not sure if it helps, but perhaps you need to update the MyBIOS to the latest version.
There are some fixes in the init-core for bad IO's.

Later,
Sijmen.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:00 pm 

Ah, noticed newer firmware, but don't have any other way of loading stuff up to execute the update. This still does work with a 2.5" hdd I have, but locks up my idea drive manager D: maybe I'll try a 40gb hdd I have lying around.

Would the pbi fixes work? Like the ones on http://www.nleaudio.com/css/stabiliz.htm ? I went ahead and ordered various ic's like 74ls04, 74ls74, and 74ls14 listed on http://www.mathyvannisselroy.nl/blackbox.htm ... but they don't list anything for xegs, which I presume is because it doesn't have an exposed pbi interface ;) and I ain't smrt enough to do this without help.

Also, my cpu passed the 'test' shown on http://www.retrobits.net/atari/altcpu.shtml , where basically run a count while hair drying the cpu! Lol I felt kinda funny doing this, but wanna exhaust all possibilities. Fyi cpu is c014806-35 and http://www.visual6502.org/wiki/index.ph ... AA,_ANE%29 table shows as unstable. Either way, think I'll hit up best-electronics-ca.com for another one (and few other goodies).
Also, checked if gtia was flaky China one, and seems to be ok as well.

So, based on flash destructions and other usability reasons, I'll be looking at a sio2pc usb and ape as well ;)

edit to fix url

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:42 pm 

Ok, based on another forum here at atariage... erm atarimax ;D viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1090 one guy said mod #1 at http://www.nleaudio.com/css/stabiliz.htm works, so... decided to become smrtr and whip out the schematics and see what the mod does.

Since the xegs is based on the 65xe, the 74ls08 pin 2 and 4 are the same between machines! The 130xe/65xe it's u18 and xegs it's u9 so in theory, this might help alleviate my woes. Gonna try this and see what happens, and hopefully not release the magical silicon smoke! :shock: :roll:

If not, back to the Schematic Boards! and attempt the other mods. Hopefully this is a timing issue and these mods will help fix it!

As for the exposing an eci/pbi interface... bah forgot it... Metalguy66 said in https://atariage.com/forums/topic/14212 ... __hl__xegs that the MMU needs to be swapped, and welp... don't wanna make a spaghetti inside the xegs. If I really want/need to expose the eci/pbi interface, I'll get another Atari 8-bit and leave this one for gaming :lol:

BTW, Schematics are here: http://jsobola.republika.pl/schematy.htm Polish people smrtr than me :mrgreen:

And... this is so much FUN! :D although somewhat frustrating, but... it's a computer and they don't always do what we want and takes a little longer to force it :mrgreen:

Edit: Argh, jumping pin 2 to pin 4 didn't fix nuttin! in fidsk, iNit and auto doesn't work, while manual setttings don't save. Also when trying Timing from CPU (I soldered extra leads to MyIDE made from a cd-rom audio cable) instead of GTIA, I get a HD-Error. And Mod #2 probably doesn't apply to the xegs, as there is only one BIOS, and mod #3... welp gots no eci ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:57 am 

Change to another IDE_media I would say.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:39 pm 

Pfft... what!!? lolPush on untill either MyIDE or XEGS is busted! :mrgreen:

Besides, I got it FIXED!

While perusing the 800xl, 130xe, 65xe, and XE Sys Schematics for that Polish site, I realized that there are *many* errors! and that the 800xl seemed to be the most accurate where Mod#1 actually attached to the right pins in the schematic. where the other pins listed on various sites showed them being pinned to unused invertors or gate or whatever, or attached to an un-related Trig0? weird... so...

Copied 800xl's circuit on the xegs, where pin7 from Antic (o0) to pins 4 and 5 on 74LS08; and pin37 on Sally (o0) to pin 6 on 74ls08. then jumpered pin 2 and 4 on 74ls08 for Mod#1 to work.

But, stuff was still flaky, and switched back to 2.5" HDD... and it Didn't SPIN-UP! Holy Cow, I think I'm onto something so... looking at MyIDE and PCB, specifically the +5v and the traces are awfully thin and so added an extra wire from pin1 and pin28 to power jumper. Also, re-soldered Socket pins to PCB, and 2.5" hdd spins up, and Flash Media works!

so... not sure which fixed this, Voltage or Stabliz/800xl mod... as I don't wanna go back fiddle anymore 8)

anyway, here's some more sexy inside pictures:
Attachment:
IMG_00000637_hdr_30.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_00000625_hdr_30.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_00000638_hdr_30.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_00000626_hdr_30.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_00000628_hdr_30.jpg

edited to resize pics, and another resize

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Last edited by ZarK on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:40 pm 

yeesh, I should have made those pictures a little bit smaller ...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:12 am 

Yes, please remove, re-size to 25-33% and re-upload the pictures.....

Great to hear it now works!

:-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:44 pm 

I removed Robert Puffs Stabliz Mod #1 and XEGS seems stable. I can jiggle MyIDE and it works/broken when I test it (jiggled while off then power on to test of course). Think I might add a slight wave to each pin, hopfully not bending them to help the pins make contact with the socket.

Also, want to report my findings on using Sally pin39 didn't help, and made things worse. According to Jerzy Schematics, this is same O2 signal but when I measure impedence, it ain't even close to 0 Ohms. So I found another error in jerzy's Schematics :mrgreen: This Guy suggested using Antic pin 29 but, this is GTIA o2 feed pin30 :P :lol: Argh, it'd be nice if there were acurate schematics!

So, to re-iterate, note sure if the 800xl mod on O0 singla fixed things or if it was a loose connect on socket, and am not reverting the 800xl mod :oops: I Guess there is something to be said about solder chips on PCB, and that is no loose connections! ever have a CV Adam?

Imma stubborn fellow with enough smarts to take things to long way before giving up LoL! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:19 pm 

Update:

This stile needs the Puff Mod, had problems making partitions and even had HD-Error! whoa...

So, on atariage forums MetalGuy66 and Candle suggested a 74HCT123 circuit for PHI2 O0 signal ... more learnt me on the innies of the atari like a master learns a dog to pee :lol:

So, the 'proper' way to do this is to place this 74HCT123 circuit between MyIDe and Sally PHI2 O0? any thoughts or issues to this plan? Currently digging through my junk looking for a 74HCT123 :/ in meantime I'm sticking with Puff Mod#1 and 800xl AND gate mod.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next