It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: MyIDE Image Manager feedback
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:20 pm 

timjonesuk wrote:
I do have some feedback, though you probably already know this:-

I love feedback on the programs! Already most of the features are because one person wanted a better utility than I originally provided.

Quote:
-I notice the hard drive is accessed on paging the screen down, which can take some time when you have a quite few games like me.

Unfortunately, due to memory constraints and the way I originally designed the program it scrolls pretty slowly. You can use CTRL-arrows to move a page at a time, which is considerably faster. That's what I do. Maybe I will look at using extended memory in a future version.

Quote:
-The Search engine is case-sensitive, which isn't a big problem.

Do you want a case-insensitive search? How about an option in the utility menu to toggle case-sensitive searches?

Quote:
-The ability to mount images on to 8 drives would be great, as I found out afterwards I needed to install my multi-disk games first.

There's no easy way to do this, and it doesn't mesh well with Sijmen's "Image" concept. With the old version of the MyIDE OS, I could have done this (and almost did... but I didn't think anyone would want it.)

You do have to make sure that you copy all the disks of your multi-disk games in order, otherwise they won't work with the specially keypresses (CTRL-SHIFT-1 to 9).

Quote:
And a quick query, how do I delete Images. "DEL" appears next to image, though do I need to use some other tool to actually delete it or is this not implemented yet.

Yes, there is another program that would have "defragmented" your images and also sorted them. The sorting part works great, but the defrag part doesn't work so great, especially with the new version of the OS. I haven't even looked at why it doesn't work yet.

For now, you can re-use the slots your deleted images take up by using the [M]odify command.

Thanks for the feedback!

Are you using the new flashcart myide OS, or the older internal one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:08 am 

Ah yes, I discovered this weekend that I could use "m" to modify and copy over the images. Which is even better in my opinon(and programatically easier than a deletion).

A Case-insensitive search would be much better me thinks(catches both cases).

Also when browsing games, any chance of a SHIFT-(Letter) - to list all games under that letter(just like PC-Image in APE).

I think the above additions would make major improvements, now that I have a huge amount of games on my hard drive.

How about a hot key to boot straight into your image selector program, even when a game has booted etc(Like a soft reset). I'm probably being niave suggesting this!

A program to dump a entire hard drive image to a PC and vice-versa would be fab, but of course thats just being greedy!

Thanks for all your work on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:09 pm 

timjonesuk wrote:
A Case-insensitive search would be much better me thinks(catches both cases).

I'm going to put an option in the utility menu for this.

Quote:
Also when browsing games, any chance of a SHIFT-(Letter) - to list all games under that letter(just like PC-Image in APE).

I'll look into this... you can already catergorize your images and display only specific categories. If you are only going to have games, you could find some creative way to use the categories to do this....

Hmmm, how about CTRL(or SHIFT maybe)-letter moves you to the first image that starts with that letter immediately?

Quote:
I think the above additions would make major improvements, now that I have a huge amount of games on my hard drive.

How many do you have? Are you interested in a program to back up an entire HD's contents, and also restore it? I was knocking around the idea of maybe doing one. Oh... I read further and see that you are. ;)

Quote:
How about a hot key to boot straight into your image selector program, even when a game has booted etc(Like a soft reset). I'm probably being niave suggesting this!

This can't really be done with my program easily. You could go directly to Sijmen's boot routine from any program since his code is in ROM. Hey, anyone interested in a utility to import/export the descriptions from/to Sijmen's new boot routine?

Hmmmm, maybe I will rework the defrag/sort program... make it into a utility program that sorts, imports/exports between my method and Sijmens and does backup/restore of the data on the HD... The defrag doesn't work anyway and I've already spent dozens of hours trying to debug it. I'm sick of it and would like it to just go away I think. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:13 pm 

I've added the option for case-sensitive and case-insensitive search and also fixed a small bug in the search routine. There still exists the issue that you cannot scroll back up in the search routine very well.... that is a design issue unfortunately and won't be fixed anytime soon.

If you are using the 3.4F version I can upload it for you to try out. If you are using 3.1e/i... you have to wait. I am going to release the latest image manager, etc for that version too, but I am developing on the flashcart MyIDE OS for now.

I've just sketched out a program to backup and restore the hard drive to an PC-MIRROR drive. I'll start working on it soon.

My plan is to allow backing up the configuration, partitions and image space seperately, or altogether. Also, you could restore each seperate or all at once.

I'm still hoping for a myide+high speed io bootrom! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:09 pm 

I have a basic implementation of the backup utility done. I've removed the "defrag" routine and am putting together a utility that does sorting of the image table, as well as backup/restore of all MyIDE information on a hard drive.

I'm going to allow backing up and restoring the config information, partitions and images space either seperately or all at once. It will be pretty slow since that's a lot of data potentially, but I don't think users will do it that often. Still it will allow someone to make a killer setup and then zip it and put it up for download. Instant image space full of games, demos and utilities!

Unfortunately, I never got around to registering my copy of APE and I either didn't know, or forgot that you cannot write to a PC-MIRROR drive with the eval/shareware version. Ooops. When funds allow I'll register it and finish the utility.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]