It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:02 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: 32-in-1 OS
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:15 pm 

Ok, there doesn't seem to be a forum for the 32-in-1 OS, so I'm posting about it here since I'm concerned about it's use with Myide anyway. My question is this: On the 32-in-1 OS there are the Myide OS's. Are these only for internal Myide's and my cartridge version just totally bypasses the 32-in-1 OS? If so, then this also means that I can't use the Warp+ OS with Myide right? I pray that all these concerns I'm having can be resolved as it's all looking very bleak to me! :( I bought all this stuff from AtariMax with the intention of being able to use it all at once: Warp+ OS, Myide for HD, and ATOS desktop with SpartaDos. As it stands, from the way things seem to be, I won't be able to use any of my AtariMax products together!?! If so, they are all pretty much useless to me seperately! :shock: Please tell me that I'm just freaking out becuase I'm new to all of this and that it will work together once I get a handle on it all, PLEASE!

Post subject: Re: 32-in-1 OS
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:44 pm 

Gunstar wrote:
On the 32-in-1 OS there are the Myide OS's. Are these only for internal Myide's and my cartridge version just totally bypasses the 32-in-1 OS? If so, then this also means that I can't use the Warp+ OS with Myide right?

Both Internal and External MyIDE OS's are included on the 32-in-one - so you can choose the one that is right for you. I also understand that you can change the OS's yourself if you have both a 32-in-one and MyIDE External, although some expertise may be required.

You can use Warp+ OS with MyIDE as far as I know, although I don't think it will auto-boot. You may need to have a special version of the OS burned into your 32-in-one that includes the Warp+ capabilities along with the MyIDE auto-boot.

Alternatively, you can put the APE Warp drivers on your MyIDE hard disk, and use the MyIDE External (autobooting) OS. This is probably the best scenario (and what I'll be doing).

With regard to ATOS desktop with SpartaDos:

"SpartaDOS 3.3a does work with a EPROM (or the 32-in-1 flash OS upgrade) though!"

I personally don't know whether SpartaDOS supports large partitions and/or subdirectories (anyone?) - one post indicates that large partitions are supported. Some of the utilities such as Fdisk may require Mydos, but you can use an ATR image of that disk when needed.

There do seem to be a few people here experimenting with Spartados and ATOS so do a seach for either of those terms and see what's happening.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:20 pm 

Thanks for the info, I'll look into what you'v mentioned. As for ATOS, I know for a fact that it was made to be used with SpartaDos and not MyDos, the author has a specific apology at the beginning of the documentation to Mydos user's and states that unless a there are enough people that request a Mydos version, one will not be made; the user bse is to small to warrant the time and effort. And from what I can tell personally, not too many people want to use ATOS. I don't know why, as I think it's a remarkable desktop that far exceeds any others ut there, and It's come highly recommended from me on several occasions when people have asked about 8-bit desktops. The only reason I can think of, which is an obvious reason, is that it requires a 16MB of disk space. But with A.P.E&SIO2PC being such an inexpenxive solution to this problem, and there seem to be a lot of A.P.E users, I don't think this should be a reason as to why people don't seem to care about ATOS. As for SpartDos, yes, it can handle everything that Mydos can and possibly more (though I've never used Mydos). It can handle 16MB partitions and has subdirectories, etc. It's very much like and just about as powerful as MS-dos with near identical command line structure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:43 pm 

Greetings,

I suppose that what it comes down to is whether ATOS will step on the memory space needed for MyIDE's drives, and whether Spartados can communicate with MyIDE partitions. I think it can - please see the ATOS/Sparta related discussion over at Atariage, as this topic has come up. While ATOS was written with Spartados in mind, MyIDE was created with MyDOS in mind, so there may be complications.

As for why not use ATOS, for one thing, it's not easy to find. The web site seems to be down, and locating it was fairly difficult for me. I did manage to locate it, and plan to try it out with MyIDE when I can figure out how to transfer the ATR over to a MyIDE partition.

Mostly, all that I need is a way to load files, and perhaps some method of more efficient file management. I got Diamond GOS to try out for that purpose, since it looks like the ST. I'm not going to try to run too many serious applications on the 8-Bit, mostly games and utilities I think.

Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:40 pm 

I couldnt get Diamond to work with SpartaDos and hence didnt try it with the internal MyIDE I have.

Diamond is a bit slow on the file display and drag/drop actions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:42 pm 

goochman wrote:
I couldnt get Diamond to work with SpartaDos and hence didnt try it with the internal MyIDE I have.

Diamond is a bit slow on the file display and drag/drop actions.

That's strange. Admittedly it's been 15+ years since I've used Diamond GOS (lost the cartridge years ago in a move) but I'm still alomost positive that I used SpartaDos with Diamond. I think it was 3.1 or 3.2. But I think I remember people talking about using SpartaDos X cartridge on the Diamond GOS pass-through port with Diamond. But maybe I'm mistaken about that. I was disappointed with Diamond anyway as it's applications were far to slow and buggy, I never even finished one piece of artwork with Daimond paint with out it crashing and losing everything and the same is true with Diamond write, I'd get about a page into writing and it would start freeking out and crash. It's parsor couldn't keep up with even the slowest typest anyway. It was a great idea that just didn't do it for me, though maybe it all came down to my using SpartaDos with it all those years ago...never thought of that til now...It said it was compatible, so I always figured the problem lied with GOS rather than DOS...

ATOS does everything that I had anticipated Diamond to do all those years ago, and it does it in a stable environment, at least compared to Diamond. It just requires 16MB that's all. :idea:

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]