It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:56 am

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:31 am 

Hello Guys,

I'm still working on my new player.
It auto-detects the drive size and you need to input: screen-ratio, start-cylinder, size (frames).
Then the movie will be shown/looped.

But, it's not finished yet......
I have difficulties in supporting slow IDE-drives.
First setup was slowing down the movie, but 15% is too much, so I now work on a skipping sectors of the video-frames.

I was planning to include screen-ratio and size in the first 2 video or audio-bytes.
Need to redo all my demo's then....

Kind regards,
Sijmen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:49 am 

AlmostRice wrote:
Thanks Hias, I was just looking at the code when you said it was for the internal MyIDE.

Sorry, my fault. This was a copy of my current development/testing code and I forgot to mention that I changed it to match my setup...

Quote:
I just recompiled with the changes to the player. I left the MHD and MSC the same because I have 16 heads and 63 sectors too. I only change the port to $D500. It works perfectly now. Thank you Hias. Your tools save me so much time.

You are welcome!

BTW: I also didn't use the movie-player before I wrote myidetool, but then I realized that Sijmen's movie player is a really cool thing! The sound/video quality is very impressive!

so long & have fun,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:00 pm 

HiassofT wrote:
BTW: I also didn't use the movie-player before I wrote myidetool, but then I realized that Sijmen's movie player is a really cool thing! The sound/video quality is very impressive!

I am very impress with MyIDE and the viewer. I never thought my Atari could do this with sound. The only thing missing was a tool to directly access the CF card like MyIDEtool and something to directly access the ATR partitions and images from Windows. With MyIDEtool and the Mac65 version of 3.5F, I can finally have some fun with MyIDE. Thanks Sijmen for updating the roms with some great tools.

Also my original problem was I had gotten an older version of 3.5F when I received my cart. It took me a long time to realize this and replace it with one from this forum.

Toan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:59 pm 

AlmostRice wrote:
Also my original problem was I had gotten an older version of 3.5F when I received my cart. It took me a long time to realize this and replace it with one from this forum.

Toan

This is something I always wanted to say also !
There are many different versions with the same revision number.
I think the version should change even if only 1 byte is changed inside the OS.
Otherwise, you never know if you have the latest version.
Of course there is the date but it would be so much easier to have a unique version number for each binary !

Thank you,

Eric.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:21 am 
Hello Hias,
I read the manual for myidetool. Please check the steps (jpg by attachments). I have myidettol and 3 ATRs (of 16MB each) on PC partition C and I am trying to copy them to 3 partitions of my PhysicalDrive1 (which is my 256MBCF). As you can see all of my partitions on CF are 65535, except the final which is smaller.

As you see on 3.jpg it returns me an error.

Could you suggest me how I could copy theese 3 ATRs to 3 different CF partitions ?

Thanks

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:53 am 

director wrote:
As you see on 3.jpg it returns me an error.

Could you suggest me how I could copy theese 3 ATRs to 3 different CF partitions ?

You have to use "myidetool \\.\PhysicalDrive1 -p 1 ...".

"-i 1" sets "image slot" mode, but as you don't have image space activated you get an error. The error message "illegal partition number" is misleading, this should actually be "illegal image slot number". Stupid copy-and-paste bug...

I'll fix this and upload a new version the next days.

so long & thanks for the bug report,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:57 am 

Here's a new version of Myide-Tool: http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/myidetool-060622.zip

It fixes a few (minor) bugs:
- When using image space functions (option "-i", "-L") it checks if image space is enabled and prints an error message otherwise
- The movie-writer now stops at the first error (eg when trying to write beyond the end of the harddrive) and reports the number of correctly written frames

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:58 am 

And yet another, new version: http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/myidetool-060627.zip

This version includes a nifty new feature for all users of compact flash cards who are also fans of the movie player:

Compact flash cards (and also other harddrives implementing the compact flash command set) can be configured to 8-bit PIO mode. In this mode, it's possible to access the full 512 bytes of a sector, instead of wasting half of the drive space. This means: movies take up only half the space as before and you are able to use the full capacity of your CF-card (at least for storing movies, MyIDE partitions and disk images can't take advantage of this mode - at least yet :-).

MyIDE tool now supports writing movies in this new, compact mode with the new '-mc' command line option. The syntax is identical to the '-m' option. For example:

myidetool \\.\PhysicalDrive1 -mc 1500 atari_tron_demo_80x172.mov atari_tron_demo.raw

To play movies, you need a special movie player. The original player by Sijmen won't work. I've included an extended version of the movie player in this release. It's located in the 'src' directory and named 'movie.src'.

Please have a look at the readme and the source code of the movie player for more details. Basically, you just have to un-comment the 'CFMODE=1' line (to enable compact flash mode) and adjust the other settings at the very beginning of the file to match your setup. Then use ATasm on your PC to assemble the player. For example: "atasm -omovie.com movie.src".

so long & have fun with this new feature,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:23 pm 

Thanks Hias,

So how do we make our own .mov and .raw files? I guess I have room for more now. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:08 pm 

AlmostRice wrote:
So how do we make our own .mov and .raw files? I guess I have room for more now. :D

Some time ago I asked Sijmen how he created the movies, and actually it is/was a very complicated task. You need to convert the movie into single frames (grey only, with a reduced sice, and 8 FPS) and then put it all back together into a .mov file. Creating the sound isn't too much easier: resample it to 6.144 khz mono, run it through a compressor/limiter, then convert it to 4 bit resolution and finally add 16 (pokey volume only flag) to each value - this is what the .raw file is.

I thought a little bit about automating some of these tasks but unfortunately didn't have the time to do some tests or start coding. I hope I find the time to do it, I already have quite some nice ideas and that would be really cool :-)

Anyways, in case I find some nice solutions I'll let you know!

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:23 am 

Sorry, I do not have a DIY movie-kit (yet). It's almost impossible for a outsider
to use my crummy programs to convert AVI to MOV and WAV to RAW.

There is no straight forward software to do so. You need PC-tools to convert a movie to usable AVI and WAV files
and then 2 Atari programs run from a emulator to do the conversion. (1Ghz minimum PC required).

The most difficult part is getting sound audioble in a 4 bit wave and secondly the correct frame-cut to match the Atari screen-ratio.

Also I'm reworking my player/converter to match a auto-detect/play function.

Cheers,
Sijmen.

Post subject: Trying to Figure This Out...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:50 am 

So, I haven't actually received the hardware or the CF -> IDE adaptor yet, but I have a question already...

I'm not clear how you format the CF or IDE in Atari format so that this application can read and write to the directory.

If I am understanding this right, I'll hook up the CF or HD to the MyIDE interface, plug it into my Atari, and there will be some ROM utilities in the cart that I will then use to do an Atari FDISK of the CF or HD...

Once that is configured, I'll be able to either plug the HD or CF into my PC, and using this application, be able to transfer .ATR image files to the CF or HD... Then, I go back to the Atari, and it should see the image files as individual disks, right?

I know this is kind of a high level summary, but do I have it about right?

Or can I do everything from this application? For example, insert a CF in my card reader, configure and format it as an Atari drive, copy over my .ATR files... then plug it into the MyIDE adaptor, plug that into my Atari PC, and go?

Sorry for the Noob questions... but... I'm completely green on Atari 8 bit stuff and still trying to figure out the ropes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:04 pm 

Hi,

You have it absolutely right!

First you need to FDISK the drive/CF with the FDISK loaded from cartridge.
Then go with your drive/CF to your PC and transfer what you want.

The software from Matthias can not format or partition.

The 'slower' route is by using APE/SIO2PC to transfer data to the drive/CF using your Atari itself.

Cheers,
Sijmen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:46 pm 

mr-atari wrote:
Hi,

You have it absolutely right!

First you need to FDISK the drive/CF with the FDISK loaded from cartridge.
Then go with your drive/CF to your PC and transfer what you want.

The software from Matthias can not format or partition.

The 'slower' route is by using APE/SIO2PC to transfer data to the drive/CF using your Atari itself.

Cheers,
Sijmen.

I've opened a single thread on my issues because I don't want to clutter this thread up. I'm going to respond there.

Post subject: MyIDE Tool V0.30 available
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:13 pm 

Hi!

I've uploaded a new version of MyIDE Tool to my homepage http://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/

This version supports Shawn Jefferson's MyIDE Image Manager (version 4.1 or newer is required).

so long,

Hias

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next