It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:53 pm

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: MyIDE-Tool (ATR->MyIDE-device) for Linux/Windows-XP!!!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:07 pm 

Edit: The latest version of MyIDE Tool (V0.30, released 11/11/2007) can be downloaded from my homepage http://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/
Please use this version instead of the older development versions mentioned in the discussion here.

I just uploaded a first beta version of MyIDE Tool for Linux/Windows:
http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/myidetool-060426.zip

With this tool you can directly access a MyIDE harddrive connected to your PC (either direct IDE connection or a via an USB cardreader or external USB/firewire enclosure), backup your MyIDE partitions/images to ATR files and/or write ATR files to MyIDE partition and image space.

So far I ran several (successful) tests with my 512MB Sandisk CF card in an USB cardreader with Linux (Debian Woody, kernel 2.4.32 and Debian Sarge, kernel 2.6.14) and with Windows 2000.

Have a look at the README.txt for more details.

Please be extremely careful with direct harddrive access! Direct harddrive access requires Administrator/root privileges and you can easily trash your PC if you write data to the wrong drive!

In general, it's a good idea to test the read-functionality first and then store a backup of your MyIDE harddrive in a safe place in case anything goes wrong.

@Sijmen: Could you extend fdisk so that it writes a signature to the partition table sector? Something like the string "MyIDE" at offset $80 or so. Then I can reject write access if no valid signature is present.

BTW: It's absolutely necessary that you've set up your MyIDE harddrive correctly. I.e.: the heads/sectors values you used when partitioning the harddrive must match the physical drive parameters. If you used wrong values (eg. 10 heads instead of 16) operations will fail.

Please report any success/failures and always keep in mind that this software is still beta :-)

so long,

Hias

Last edited by HiassofT on Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:24 am 

Here's a new version of the MyIDE Tool:
http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/myidetool-060430.zip

This version also supports writing movies (for Mr. Atari's movieplayer) to your MyIDE harddrive. Copying a movie is now only a matter of a few seconds instead of hours!

Just use the '-m' option and specify the starting cylinder, the video-file and the sound file. For example:

myidetool /dev/sda -m 800 atari_matrix_64x216.mov atari_matrix.raw

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:03 am 

Here's a new version: http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/myidetool-060511.zip

Only a few changes since the last version:
- Partition list also includes the total number or sectors per cylinder (heads * sectors per track)
- Drive active bits are now (hopefully) used correctly
- Moviewriter prints total number of frames written

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:39 am 

dir_marillion wrote:
4rth question Please refer me the command line that I should use to myidetool.exe (I am using windows xp) for copying for instance 20 ATRs from D:\ to the second partition D2 of my CF.

This is not directly possible with MyIDE Tool. You could, for example, copy the 20 ATRs to 20 image slots (eg myidetool \\.\PhysicalDrive2\ -i 1 -w D:*.atr), or extract the 2nd partition to your PC and then use some ATR manager software to copy the files from your ATRs to the extracted ATR and then write back the ATR to your 2nd partition.

Please check out the README.TXT for further information, it's all explained in detail there.

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:30 pm 

First Question:
256Mb CF is for Atari 128Mb (it uses only 8 bit, not 16 bit).
3 month ago we still had 3.4F, please update to 3.5F
The "F"-BIOS supports upto 8 logical drives and (cylinders-256) maximum images.
For 256Mb, 980/16/32 C/H/S: 32Mb of logical drives and 362 images

Second Question:
Go to dos, press 2 for DIR D2:, to load press L D2:name.ext

Third Question:
Yes you can. Just repeat the quick-manual with your DOS of chooce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:07 am 

dir_marillion wrote:
Hias, I am sorry but as I cannot understand your explanation, just let me know the command that I should use to upload an ATR 16 or 32MB to the D2 partition of the CF.

Which part of the README.TXT was unclear?

Actually it's very simple and straight forward:
First use "myidetool --list" to determine which physical drive your CF card is. Then all you need is to use this physical drive as the first parameter of myidetool. For example:

myidetool \\.\PhysicalDrive2 -p 2 -w image.atr

(this writes image.atr to your second partition)

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:25 am 

The 3.5F you can download from the forum.....
Just boot the ATR file while holding OPTION.
Answer YES on the question are you sure.
http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum ... .php?t=357

In my previous post i said 32 MB of logical driveS. So not ONE drive.
Maximum for the Atari-standard is 65535 sectors 256 byte/sector. Thus 16 Mbyte.
You have 32 Mb, So you can make 2 drives of 16Mb, or what ever combination of drives/sizes.

Cheers,
Sijmen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:08 am 

HiassofT wrote:
dir_marillion wrote:
myidetool \\.\PhysicalDrive2 -p 2 -w image.atr

(this writes image.atr to your second partition)

Hello Hias,

I have used your utility. It makes moving large files very fast. My problem is the movies seem to be corrupted.

I use a line like
myidetool \\.PhysicalDrive1 -m 800 atari.mov atari.raw

I get the movie and the sound sometimes comes out, but they all have artifacts on screen and the sound comes in and out. I can do a movie capture if you like to see what I mean. I have a 512Meg CF card. This is the 1st time I have gotten the movies to display anything. Also, I am using the last 3.5F with BXL and M65. I have not tried to load the movies through Sijmens method with SIO2PC since it take so long.

Thanks for making a great utility. I was just starting to look for one like it.

So can we mount the partition images in an emulator? I have not done this yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:47 am 

AlmostRice wrote:
I have used your utility. It makes moving large files very fast. My problem is the movies seem to be corrupted.

I use a line like
myidetool \\.PhysicalDrive1 -m 800 atari.mov atari.raw

If your CF card reports 16 heads, this is most certainly a problem with the movie player. Sijmen's original movie player had problems with 16-head drives, so he skipped the 16th head (and only wrote data to the first 15 heads). The myidetool doesn't handle this, instead I have changed the movieplayer so that it should work fine with 16 head drives.

Here's the source code of my version of the movie player http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/avi16.src

It's in ATasm format, you can assemble it on your PC using the following command line:
atasm -DSTARTCYL=800 -DFRAMES=1234 -omovie.com avi16.src

Just change the STARTCYL and FRAMES settings so that they match your setup (eg. set STARTCYL=x to the number you used with myidetool and set FRAMES=y to the number of frames reported by midetool).

Quote:
So can we mount the partition images in an emulator? I have not done this yet.

Yes, just extract the partition/image data to ATR files, they should work fine with an emulator.

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:37 am 

AlmostRice wrote:
I get the movie and the sound sometimes comes out, but they all have artifacts on screen and the sound comes in and out. I can do a movie capture if you like to see what I mean. I have a 512Meg CF card. This is the 1st time I have gotten the movies to display anything. Also, I am using the last 3.5F with BXL and M65. I have not tried to load the movies through Sijmens method with SIO2PC since it take so long.

I'm worried about the artifacts.... What Atari do you have? The movies use
GTIA-mode with 16 gray-tones. And there is a whole batch on 800XE and
65XE systems sold by Atari with this BAD GTIA-chip.....
You have HONG-KONG and TAIWAN, one of them have the buggy
(reproduction) GTIA-chip.

This bad GTIA-chip also gives (sometimes) problems on the data-bus and crashing the MyIDE-protocol....

Cheers,
Sijmen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:42 am 

mr-atari wrote:
I'm worried about the artifacts.... What Atari do you have? The movies use
GTIA-mode with 16 gray-tones. And there is a whole batch on 800XE and
65XE systems sold by Atari with this BAD GTIA-chip.....
You have HONG-KONG and TAIWAN, one of them have the buggy
(reproduction) GTIA-chip.

This bad GTIA-chip also gives (sometimes) problems on the data-bus and crashing the MyIDE-protocol....

Cheers,
Sijmen.

This was using the warerat modified 800 with xl/xe os. The system has GTIA . I will test it on a 800xl this evening when I get home.

No difference with my 800xl.

Would there be any difference between PAL and NTSC?

Last edited by AlmostRice on Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:37 pm 

HiassofT wrote:
If your CF card reports 16 heads, this is most certainly a problem with the movie player. Sijmen's original movie player had problems with 16-head drives, so he skipped the 16th head (and only wrote data to the first 15 heads). The myidetool doesn't handle this, instead I have changed the movieplayer so that it should work fine with 16 head drives.

Here's the source code of my version of the movie player http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/avi16.src

It's in ATasm format, you can assemble it on your PC using the following command line:
atasm -DSTARTCYL=800 -DFRAMES=1234 -omovie.com avi16.src

Just change the STARTCYL and FRAMES settings so that they match your setup (eg. set STARTCYL=x to the number you used with myidetool and set FRAMES=y to the number of frames reported by midetool).

I am using Sijmen's viewer and I think my CF card is using 16 heads. I will have to check when I get home.

I have created the file movie.com but I am unable to move it onto the Avi16_new.atr image. And the program does not work with MyDos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:58 pm 

AlmostRice wrote:
I have created the file movie.com but I am unable to move it onto the Avi16_new.atr image. And the program does not work with MyDos

What didn't work? I just did a quick test (loaded MyDOS at D1: and created a DD ATR with movie.com in D2:) and it worked fine.

BTW: This source code is configured for an internal MyIDE Interface (port $D100) and for a CF card / harddrive with 16 heads and 63 sectors.

If your setup is different, change the PORT=$D100 to PORT=$D500 (if you have an external MyIDE Interface), MHD=$B0 to $A0 + <number of heads> and MSC=$40 to <number of sectors + 1>.

HTH & so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:41 pm 

HiassofT wrote:
AlmostRice wrote:
BTW: This source code is configured for an internal MyIDE Interface (port $D100) and for a CF card / harddrive with 16 heads and 63 sectors.

I have an external MyIDE cart. That might be the reason why it does not work. I have since been able to move the files from the PC to the Turbodos image.

I also have used Sijmen's player to work with my CF card. I used his utility to move the .mov and .raw files. Its slower, but the images and sound look like Sijmen's site for about the one minute. Using your utility to transfer the movie, I the images are sometimes distorted and the sound come in an out. Both using Sijmen's player.

I used this line to put the movie in the CF card.
Quote:
myidetool \\.\PhysicalDrive1 -m 800 atari.mov atari.raw

>

HiassofT wrote:
If your setup is different, change the PORT=$D100 to PORT=$D500 (if you have an external MyIDE Interface), MHD=$B0 to $A0 + <number of heads> and MSC=$40 to <number of sectors + 1>.
Hias

Thanks Hias, I was just looking at the code when you said it was for the internal MyIDE.

>

I just recompiled with the changes to the player. I left the MHD and MSC the same because I have 16 heads and 63 sectors too. I only change the port to $D500. It works perfectly now. Thank you Hias. Your tools save me so much time. I had problems using Sijmens tools and it took too long to load the movies that I gave up.

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next