It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:24 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Getting started with MyBIOS, MyDOS and MyIDE
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:54 am 

Hi!

I've had my My-IDE][ for a while now and have it permanently plugged into my 800XL. I can load games just fine and so far I'm very happy with it. But I'm also curious about what all the other screens do that I see when I choose "My BIOS" from the startup screen.

It shows me I have a MyBIOS version from 2013-01-05, which is My-BIOS-F2 4.8.05. Is there any documentation that tells me how to use the options in the MyBIOS menu? I have general questions like:
- I don't have a physical disk drive. Can I access my Compact Flash card from here?
- When I copy a file, what is the syntax for writing the source and destination?
- With the My-IDE][ attached, and a Compact Flash installed, can I access it as a disk drive from Atari Basic?

Things of that nature.

When I press the 'Help' key I get to a MyIDE screen. I can add a disk here, but I have no idea how to use it.

I hope there's someone who can point me to a document or a video where these things are explained a little bit.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Getting started with MyBIOS, MyDOS and MyIDE
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:29 am 

Did you download the manual from the forum?
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1310

Perhaps you want to upgrade the flash-content to something newer?
http://www.mr-atari.com/Mr.Atari/MyIDE-ONLY/
It also has the 4.8 bios versions and up, so you won't be missing stuff.
#7 is the last update.

In short:
The partitions you make are basically disks, normally accessed from a physical floppy-drive.
So when you make a partition with ID=1, it acts as D1:
Any access to SIO (serial port) and addressing D1: is patched to your CF-card.
That is the function of MyBIOS. The rest are nice menus to navigate you through.

After making a partition, you need to format it and put DOS on it.
This can be done with the MyDOS present on the cartridge.
After that, you can "boot" it and save/load basic programs you make.

Grtz,
Sijmen.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:47 am 

Thanks Sijmen! That's the manual I was look for :) I'll have a careful read through it.

Thanks also for the links to the updates

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:24 am 

Hello, I am new the board, but have been using Atari 8-bit computers since the beginning ( and still do ).

I posted this already in the "now available for sale" , but thought I would copy my post/questions here as it seemed contain recent posts.

Just wanted to ask a few questions .. I'm sure the answers are somewhere on this board, but thought I would post a current message

1) Is the MyIDE-II still available for sale ?

2) I am located in Canada, so I would prefer a better way of shipping than just 'Air Mail' ( possibly with a tracking # )

3) Is there a way of reading the 'Atari' partition of the Compact Flash card in a Windows based PC ? So that I could 'backup' some Atari files to my Windows PC ?

- If not, what is the easiest way to 'backup' or copy Atari files to a Windows based PC ?

Thanks in advance for any help !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:21 pm 

stockshooter wrote:
w questions .. I'm sure the answers are somewhere on this board, but thought I would post a current message

1) Is the MyIDE-II still available for sale ?

2) I am located in Canada, so I would prefer a better way of shipping than just 'Air Mail' ( possibly with a tracking # )

3) Is there a way of reading the 'Atari' partition of the Compact Flash card in a Windows based PC ? So that I could 'backup' some Atari files to my Windows PC ?

- If not, what is the easiest way to 'backup' or copy Atari files to a Windows based PC ?

Thanks in advance for any help !

I can't answer all of your questions but the AtariMax IDE-II is (also) sold from the USA, so if it's still available it shouldn't be a problem to ship it to Canada I presume.

When you receive the MyIDE-II you get a compact flash cart that has a FAT32 partition on it. You can simply plug the compact flash cart into a Windows PC (or a Mac) and copy files to and from it. Using the FAT32 loader on the MyIDE-II cartridge you can load these files in your Atari computer. It's actually really easy.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]