It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 am

Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Help with using multi disk ATR or ATR in general as imag
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:48 am 

Lotharek suggests that I may have an old CPLD core, that in turn requires JTAG programming .... so now to get this thing to work I bought a burner and shortly a xilinx programmer (I do have an old laptop with parallel port so maybe the parallel cable is all I need).
Obviously U1MB JTAG plug is non standard, it doesn't even use 2.54mm pitch headers but the smaller 2.00mm, so even if I get the parallel cable I'll have to fabricate an adapter.

We'll see, I'm running thin on patience at this stage.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:54 pm 

Now you are able to boot images from your MyIDE image part, you could put ATR images directly from your PC with the right tools on your MyIDE CF cart.

With that in mind you could be able to flash the Ultimate 1MB with a new OS using the image part of MyBIOS.

I don't want to throw oil on the fire, but I have had better results with R1 of MyBIOS (even when using MyIDE II cart).

MyBIOS R1 (and R2) are very compatible, and very good substitutes for the standard OS. I do not have any experience with SIDE, but from what I saw on the movies about SIDE I am pretty sure that MyIDE with the MyBIOS-menu (on the fly swapping and all that) is the better choice.

I hope Sijmen (mr atari) will get time to fix the small bugs there are left in the MyBIOS versions, but even without those fixed, it's a powerful solution.

I have no experience with JTAG and U1MB. Let us know how you're doing with the home made cable...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:32 pm 

Sysop*Marius wrote:
Now you are able to boot images from your MyIDE image part, you could put ATR images directly from your PC with the right tools on your MyIDE CF cart.

With that in mind you could be able to flash the Ultimate 1MB with a new OS using the image part of MyBIOS.

I don't want to throw oil on the fire, but I have had better results with R1 of MyBIOS (even when using MyIDE II cart).

MyBIOS R1 (and R2) are very compatible, and very good substitutes for the standard OS. I do not have any experience with SIDE, but from what I saw on the movies about SIDE I am pretty sure that MyIDE with the MyBIOS-menu (on the fly swapping and all that) is the better choice.

I hope Sijmen (mr atari) will get time to fix the small bugs there are left in the MyBIOS versions, but even without those fixed, it's a powerful solution.

I have no experience with JTAG and U1MB. Let us know how you're doing with the home made cable...

Not so fast, the flashing ATR is > 512K and as such cannot be mounted in the image portion, it has to be mounted as a partition, but it also requires SDX support, I tried to boot an SDX rom with MyIDE2 drivers thru FAT32Loader but it simply didn't work, it got stuck somewhere.

The only reason I had for SIDE2 was for reflashing and put R2 on U1MB, now I have first to try and update the CPLD to see if that unblocks my case, then I'll see.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:20 am 

Sorry for misunderstanding but I meant a partitionslot not an imageslot.

You also should modify the config.sys of the Sdx partition so you could use the Mybios SIO vector instead of the SDX SIO vector.

I have to search for the right setting.

And last: I did not try R2 with SDX But I know this workaround is successful with Mybios R1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:25 am 

What ever version of MyBIOS suites, is the one you take :)

The new R2 will be a bit sophisticated then the current.
But there are some new nasty bugs that I can't seem to fix.
So the release will be later then expected.

Cheers,
Sijmen.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:57 pm 

Take your time Sijmen, kills those pesky bugs :twisted:

I managed to "boot" thru FAT32Loader an SDX rom with the right config and the myide2.sys, so I had a flashing ATR set as D1 in partition space and eventually it came up.
But in order for flashing of U1MB to succeed the U1MB BIOS has to activate SDX support so there's a little bit of clashing but eventually it kind of work.

On a different note I verified and reprogrammed the Xilinx [an XC95144XL] CPLD on my U1MB and it didn;t help, still mounting ATR via SIDELoader over a SIDE2 gets me to Basic.

I got a couple of extra U1MB ROM images from Lotharek but it didn't help, meaning I flashed them and I still got the exact same issue ..... not sure anymore if it's my XEGS [maybe a different revision !?] or SIDE2 or U1MB .... I'll keep on trying, I repeat the main point is to be able to reliably flash U1MB via a FAT32 ATR file [on MyIDE2 I must go thru the partition space and the first time around I had to put R2 via eprom burner]

Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4