It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Copying image to floppy disk
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:06 pm 

From searching topics here, it looks like my 1050 drive needs to be D1:. Also, it sounds like my current BIOS version of 4.8.05 will not transfer the image properly to the floppy disk.

Which 4.8 MyBIOS would you recommend that I use? I am staying away from the 4.9 versions since they still appear to be beta versions. I see 4.8.06 and 4.8.B3 which sounds like it was almost 4.8.07.

In addition, where is a copy of 4.8.05 in case I want to flash the cartridge back to the stable version in case I have problems with the newer MyBIOS versions? Are there any known problems with the 4.8.06 or 4.8.B3 versions?

One last question: how long does the BIOS flash take? I know I am not supposed to interrupt the process, but I would like to know the expected time so I know when to start expecting that I have messed up my MyIDE-II.

The main reason I would like to do this is to give a floppy disk to a friend who has the original MyIDE product so giving him a floppy would be the easiest way to give him the PD games.

Bob C

Post subject: Re: Copying image to floppy disk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:15 am 

Here you can find the latest 4.8 MyBIOS (-0.6)
Also the last beta B3, yes indeed it was going to be the -07 version.
Both versions run OK, I prefer the B3.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1310

4.9 still is in beta, the version of Halloween last year seems OK enough.
There are some issues, but you better read the topic.

There is also a 4.8 version released for the original MyIDE-version BTW.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1318
(Sharing most of the same code as for MyIDE-][ 4.8.05)
Also here you find a almost finished 0A-version, that is perhaps the best one.

Flashing MyIDE-][ using a 512k .bin file from the atarimax-fatloader
takes about 20-30 seconds. High-lite the file and press control-F, i remember.

Let me know if this info was enough.

Later,
Sijmen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:28 pm 

As usual, you have been very helpful. I was able to install the new BIOS version without a problem. I am currently running 4.8.B3. I did read the notes on 4.9 previously which confirmed to me that I want to wait until 4.9 is out of beta before I run it.

Some of the key commands have changed, but it has felt very familiar. I was concerned about reverting back to 4.8.05 in case I had problems with B3. However, so far, I have not seen any differences. I will try using the copy from the CF to the SIO (floppy) this week.

My friend with the MyIDE original version lost the ability to use the Option-Select-Start combination to enter the MyIDE menu. I wanted to make sure the same thing did not happen to me since I need to be able to change drive numbers in case I want to try loading SDX onto another partition.

I did notice on both BIOS versions that I cannot run images for Operation Blood, Tagalon, or Xybex that I found on Atarimania. Until now, I have been able to run everything that I loaded into the Image Menu.

Also, in the documentation, does it tell me the correct size to use in the MyIDE menu to emulate a floppy ATR? Right now, I think I am making the sizes too big and wasting space.

Thanks again for the BIOS updates. I especially appreciate the longer delay before the initial MyBIOS screen disappears. In 4.8.05, it felt like a video game where I needed quick reflexes to choose the correct option before it would do a normal boot.

Bob C

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:52 am 

Thanks for the feedback :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:20 pm 

I tried to copy an image to my SIO device (1050 drive set as D1). Unfortunately, I have not been able to successfully copy an image to a floppy disk. I have tried multiple PD images (Dimo's Quest-New Year's Day edition, Electro Maniac, Ramp Rage v1.2) without success. I have been using 4.8.B3.

With Electro Maniac, I see a DOS directory but the disk will give me a couple of SIO beeps and just hang my XEGS. This happens with the other images I try that do not even show me a DOS directory. I have tried running the game from the 1050 as D2 to see if it would run once the XEGS has booted into MyDOS. Unfortunately, I get the same results where attempting to run the program will hang the XEGS.

I did create a DOS boot disk simply to make sure my XEGS would boot from the floppy as D1. That disk worked perfectly.

Do you have any tips to make this work? It would be useful for me to transfer image games to floppy to copy the PD games for other people with original hardware. Thanks for your help.

Bob C

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:01 am 

Hi Bob,

Strange, I just downloaded the bin-file and flashed my cartridge.
And it seems to work here.

Started the BETA-F2 version, boots as -B3.
Hold START, loads image-menu.
Select Image, put disk in 1050, look at density, press S or M (format) then Y(es).
Press < (copy CF->SIO), then Y(es).
Copy starts and finishes.

1050 is set as D1:

Cheers,
Sijmen.

P.S.
It seems that -06 can't copy from CF->SIO, perhaps that was one of the bugs I solved back then.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:43 am 

Thank you for trying it. I will try again this evening. I thought maybe the floppy disks were bad, but they worked for other things.

The copy does appear to work, but I am not able to use the copy after it is created. I did try the same steps.

Bob C

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:31 am 

Good point, I only checked if the copy function went through the steps.
:-)

I tried again, empty disk, never used before.
Format MD, copy MULE to SIO.
Boot from floppy.

Boots just fine, MULE can be played.

So I can confirm that -B3 copies CF to SIO just fine.

Later!
Sijmen.

P.S.
5 minutes later.....
I tried side B in SD too.
Format, Copy, Boot, Works.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:42 am 

Thanks for testing this. I will try with MULE this evening if I have time. If that still does not work, then I know the problem is with my equipment. I have access to other 8-bit machines that I can try.

Bob C

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:02 pm 

I downloaded a MULE art from Atarimania. It was a single-sided disk when I loaded it into the Image Space. I made sure MULE booted and I could get into the game. Then, I attempted to copy the disk to my 1050 drive using the SIO function. I used your steps except that I formatted the drive as single-sided to match my image. Unfortunately, the SIO copy just accessed the 1050 briefly and locked up the XEGS so I had to shut it off. I even took out the MyIDE-II to see if that made a difference when booting from the floppy.

My workbook that I flashed includes the following BIOS versions:

F2-4.8.B3
FE-4.8.0A
F2-4.8.06
FE-4.8.05

I just want to make sure that I downloaded the correct version. In addition, I am using a 64K XEGS with an unmodified (no Happy upgrade) 1050 drive.

If I have downloaded the correct workbook and your drive is just like mine, I will have to try the process at a friend's house where I can change everything but my MyIDE-II. Then, I can start adding back items and see when it starts failing.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Bob C

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:42 am 

Yeah, the image you have is fine.
All versions you have are corrent.

Just so you know, all versions will run on MyIDE-][, -FE is for MyIDE-1/][ dual-support.

I just pulled a standard 1050 out of my stock.
I love my stack of 11 drives, all versions present :-)
Booted into IMAGE, format M (works fine), < (oh man, this is extremely slow...... 4 sectors/second.....), done.
Booted this disk, runs fine.

So perhaps there is something wrong with your 1050?
Or perhaps a XEGS is incompatible with MyBIOS, I doubt that..... You never know :-P

Later!
Sijmen.

P.S.
I can reply next Sunday the earliest.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:49 am 

Thanks again for all of your help. Now that I know I am not making any mistakes, I will try additional testing on 15 August when I will have access to different drives and a 130XE. That will tell me if the copy process either does not like an XEGS or simply needs more than 64K. I can also try my 1050 on his 130XE and see if the copy works.

Bob C

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:01 pm 

Today, I had a chance to try the SIO to floppy copy using my friend's 130XE and 800XL. The problem is my 1050 drive. The copy works perfectly when I used his XF551 drive. We also had problems booting a copy-protected original floppy disk using my 1050. Therefore, the person who sold me the 1050 is either going to give me a replacement drive or find out why this drive is failing and fix it.

Thanks again for your help.

Bob C

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]