It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:51 pm

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Trouble with MyBios setup
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:24 pm 

I'm using version 4.8.06 and having trouble setting up mybios. I'm following the video step by step, but when I get to the last part of the setup I must be making a mistake. I create Fat 32, erase partition, and hit "no" for erase images. After naming drive #1 MYDOS I hit return. Then hit "c" for change, name partition#A and Drive #1. Upon doing this a message appears that says "Error! drive # used/wrong" Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Trouble with MyBios setup
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:04 am 

Can you upload a screen-shot?
And a link to the video, please.
So I can redo your steps here.

In 4.8.06 this message comes when you try to give an already used drive ID to a partition.
For example partition B has drive ID 1, you can not give partition A also ID 1.
You first need to change partition B to - (nothing) or swap ID's from A and B.

In my screen-shot I tried to change partition D to ID 1.

Grtz,
Sijmen.

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:47 pm 

Thank you for the reply. The video is this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQodgRABCUA&index=3&list=PLimLJt4BQCt-7chB7e9RKVHwhNiPdH73S. Attached is the picture I took. I got the MYIDE II basically to download and play 8 bit games on my XEGS. I am a total noob when it comes to 8 bit computers, but since I never had one as a kid, I picked up a XEGS to play all the great 8 bit games I missed. According to the video to set up the MyBios I go to setup, initialize, choose manual, choose automanual, yes to create fat 32, enter, then enter again, erase partition yes, erase images no, hit key "m" for make, drive #1, size #65535, d for density, name? MYBIOS, hit c for change, parition #A, drive #1 and this is where I get the error message in the pic. Thank you.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa257/illtiger1/MyBios.jpg?t=1455227786

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:21 pm 

Why do you want to change it to drive #1 since it already is drive #1?

That is what you are doing by that last step.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:03 pm 

Sysop, no idea why. I'm just following the instructions on the Atarimax video to set it up. On 1:15 in the video, he says to hit C for change after he names it MYDOS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQodgRABCUA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:06 am 

Aha!

You found a flaw in the instruction movie.
When you look very carefully you'll see he first indeed makes a partition and indeed during that proces he types a 1 and then size.

But.... he decides very fast that he wants to do it differently so he cancels and starts over.

You can see that when he created the partition there is a dash next to the D on top of the screen where the partition info is.

When you do what you did youll see there is already the 1.

In fact what you do is already enough. You created the partition and set the drive number in one pass.

Tucker probably thought it was more clear for the user to do it in two passes but indeed his spoken instructions and visual actions are not very clear there.

You can continue with that partition like the error did not occur.

Please let us know how that went.

Greetz Marius

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:57 am 

Thank you very much for the reply. So basically, to make it clear, I think what your saying is to set the drive #1 to size #65535, set density to d and name it then I'm done. I then save and don't need to go through the change step. I'll give it a shot. Thank you again!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:09 am 

That is right.

Fool around with it. You also could mount it to another Drive # ... then you can still boot from a SIO drive and your MyBIOS partition is then on Dx: (The drive you mounted it to)

I'm a MyIDE user since the very beginning, and MyBIOS comes from a long long way, and it is developed to an extremely versatile and very well running operating system. Don't forget though, that when you want the biggest compatibility on running games/demo's ... you'd better fill the FAT32 partition or use a version of MyBIOS in ROM.

For not too complicated software, the FLASH version of MyBIOS (what you are probably using now) probably meets your needs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:55 am 

Yes, after I set up MyBios and MyDos, I plan on formatting the Fat 32 using my CF and Windows and adding games that way like the video shows. I think I may have to do some other things to run atr files, but I'm not there yet.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:19 am 

Don't miss the excellent .R16 conversions here on the forum which you can put on your FAT32 partition.

There are some great conversions, which are better than XEX conversions.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:05 am 

Just picked up the r16 conversions. What is the difference between these and the xex versions?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:41 am 

illtiger1 wrote:
Just picked up the r16 conversions. What is the difference between these and the xex versions?

The MyIDE ][ interface has 512KB SRAM. Those R16 files are loaded into that SRAM, and then started. The Atari handles this SRAM like a regular cartridge.

The fun is that the R16 conversions are (because of the previous explanation) almost identical to the original ROM files. So there are no concessions to the game.

Most XEX files are as good as the original, but some games aren't.

There are also games like Karateka and other games, that require more memory in your atari when they are XEX files. The original cartridge did run on 64K atari, so does the R16 file.

There are also games available that were only released on disk (or tape) that are not available as XEX or not available as XEX for 64K atari (games like The Goonies or Conan or Summer Games). Those are all available as R16 file, so you can run those on your 64KB stock atari. You don't need to modify your atari for those games.

Of course... when you would modify your atari with a MyBIOS eprom inside, you can run all those games also as ATR file (an image in the MyBIOS image portion) but since a while I am only interested in unmodified, original, stock Atari 8bit computers.

So when you can get R16, use that... it's the best you can get!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:46 am 

Very interesting. Thank you for the information. I picked up all the r16 files I could from the thread on this forum. When I put my son down for his nap in an hour or so I'm going to try to get the MyBios working along with MyDOS and Fat 32. Can't wait to try the games. Might have to cancel Valentine's Day plans with the wife to get some gaming in tonight!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:47 am 

Another thing...

I use my Atari a lot for coding. I'm using Mac/65 a lot and best experience with that Assembler is when it is a cart.

With MyIDE ][ I can run the R16 version of Mac/65 so my MyIDE ][ is suddenly acting like an original Mac/65 cartridge.

That is one of the key features I like so much!

I did a few conversions to R16 myself. I converted the disk only games Johny's Trouble and Cropky to R16.
I used a routine programmed by JAC! for that.

In my collection I have almost all possible add-ons for atari 8bit (I have SIDE2, IDE+ 2.0, Blackbox, Sio2SD, Sio2USB, Sio2IDE, Sdrive Nuxx ... and much much more) ... and all this stuff has pros and cons. I must be honest... for me personally the IDE+ 2.0 gives in the end the best overall performance as a harddisk interface. But, the MyIDE ][ is the most versatile device from the list (some people call it the Swiss Army Knife) and it also is the best interface when you want to do experiments with coding.

I switch between MyIDE ][ and IDE+ 2.0 all the time. I can not decide which one I want to keep for single user solution, so I use them both, together...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:52 am 

illtiger1 wrote:
Very interesting. Thank you for the information. I picked up all the r16 files I could from the thread on this forum. When I put my son down for his nap in an hour or so I'm going to try to get the MyBios working along with MyDOS and Fat 32. Can't wait to try the games. Might have to cancel Valentine's Day plans with the wife to get some gaming in tonight!

If you run into XEX games that do not want to run, let me know... Some XEX games refuse to run from the FAT32 loader.
But I created a solution for that.

If you are able to patch them yourself (look for the thread about that on this forum) you can do it yourself of course, but if that is too much abracadabra for you, let me know... I would be glad to help you!

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next