It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Creating a 1mbit MaxFlash cartridge with 16K games
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:41 am 

I was jumping through hoops trying to create a 1mbit cartridge using cartridge rom images of 16K games with them failing.
Examples would be failing of Miner 2049er, BC's Quest for Tires, MissPacman, etc..
Then I fired up SpartaDos 32g as disk1 and a game ATR as disk2 and then created a blank formatted with no dos, disk 3 in Ape.
I then copied the game .com files I wanted to disk3 and using a utility in linux called atr2unix, I extracted the files from the atr I had created with the games I wanted.
Then I used MaxFlash_Studio to make a cartridge programming ATR with those executable 16K files.
I had no more errors about the 16K games then and even added Atari Basic and Atari Editor Assembler to the contents.
The only game that did not work was Gyruss and that could have been due to not getting it as an executable file.
I was never a big fan of Gyruss though, so I figure I will add some other games to fill the cartridge.
Currently, my programming atr image contains MsPacman, BCs Quest for tires, Miner 2049er, Pole Position, Atari Basic rev c, Atari Assembler editor, and Gyruss (not working), with room to spare.
And this is on a 1mbit MaxFlash cartridge!
I am not into the ins and outs of bank addressing to be able to put Mac65 and Action on the cartridge. I have tried using various rom images and have had no luck there. As a matter of fact, when I would select Mac65 on the test cartridge, another game would load.
I assume this had to do with bank selection and placement on the cartridge.
But anyway, what I am getting at is that if you have problems creating a working game cartridge with 16K games, try using the executable game files instead of the rom images.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]