It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Using SIO2PC with flash cart
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:37 am 

Hi all,
I`ve been using my SIO2PC with the Atari 800xl for a while, but am now considering getting some 8mb flash carts.
Do I need to buy the USB programmer, or can I use my SIO2PC to make a multi cart of games ? - if so, are there any guides I can read to how this is done, if it`s too involved for my old brain, I may just go the easy route & get the USB programmer !

Many thanks !

Post subject: Re: Using SIO2PC with flash cart
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:13 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Using the SIO2PC is possible, it just takes (much) longer to program a cart and there are more steps.

To use the SIO2PC to program a cart, make your cart normally in the Maxflash Studio software. Test it, etc. Once you have it the way you want it, that's where the two methods diverge.

For USB you would just attach the USB programmer and cart, press program, and a few seconds later, the cart is finished.

For SIO2PC you go to the File->Export menu and export your collection to an ATR programming image.

You then load the resulting ATR image into your SIO2PC/APE software, drive #1. Insert the flash cartridge into the Atari computer attached to the SIO2PC device and boot from drive #1. The programming ATR image will start and slowly in-circuit program/erase the cartridge, reading the data in chunks over SIO2PC.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:10 pm 

classics wrote:
Using the SIO2PC is possible, it just takes (much) longer to program a cart and there are more steps.

To use the SIO2PC to program a cart, make your cart normally in the Maxflash Studio software. Test it, etc. Once you have it the way you want it, that's where the two methods diverge.

For USB you would just attach the USB programmer and cart, press program, and a few seconds later, the cart is finished.

For SIO2PC you go to the File->Export menu and export your collection to an ATR programming image.

You then load the resulting ATR image into your SIO2PC/APE software, drive #1. Insert the flash cartridge into the Atari computer attached to the SIO2PC device and boot from drive #1. The programming ATR image will start and slowly in-circuit program/erase the cartridge, reading the data in chunks over SIO2PC.

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve, I'll get some flash carts & give it a go :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:41 pm 

@Classics
steve,

can you make a second ATR version that uses the warp3x speed reading routines to to speed up the programming process? it looks like a simple fix.

I understand using the bog standard routines so as not to have the headache of Ataris that still have the caps in and a full daisy chain. But almost everyone knows or can do the fix and having the choice would make a lot of happy Atarians.

Cheers,
_The Doctor__

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]