It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Application Bundled with DOS for EXEPACKER
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:40 pm 

Applications sometimes need a DOS to load and save data. If you load an application from the Exepacker Menu, you don't have a DOS.

Here is a small Doc on how to bundle a DOS with an application for the Exepacker.
http://atariwiki.strotmann.de/xwiki/bin ... undled+DOS

Atari-Artist and Design Master are used as demo applications.

Have fun with AtariMax!

Carsten

Last edited by cas on Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:11 pm 

I am dragging this back out because I am making a cart that needs a DOS to load, but like stated on this website: "The Atari Cartridge Specification defines that with Bit 1 and Bit 2 of the Option Register $BFFD/$9FFD CARTFG the Cart can choose whether a Diskboot should happend or not. Unforuntaly the AtariMax Software don't allow to set this behavior."

I also do not want to have to pack in a DOS for this. That will tie me to whatever DOS I pick, and isn't a great idea.

The program I am trying to pack is Synassembler. It resides from 9C00-BC1F. I made a cart using the -exepacker, and forcing a Warmstart. It will come up and run, but no DOS. I tried holding down Option, and adding an autorun.sys that was just the command jmp $A000. It loads DOS, and then jumps to the cart, but once I hit Synassembler, it warmstarts, and the dos evidently loses the fact that DOS is loaded. I listed from 0700-1D00 (where the Synassembler manual stated DOS 2 should be loaded) and it's there.

I checked 000A-000D. It contains 9F 17 40 15 when Synassembler is loaded from disk. When cart ver is loaded its 00 9C 90 E7.

Some success:
Evidently my original Synassembler disk is using Dos2.5. I have put my Autorun.sys (jmp $A000) on a Dos 2 disk, and booted with Option down, and Dos loads, and then the cart runs. I select Synassembler, and enter Monitor mode. I put in 1540G, and it initializes DOS. I can then use the disk drive. But, if I type in DOS, it's all she wrote from there. Dos runs, but the machine locks up after a System Reset, and it does not recognize there's a cart installed.

So how do I get the computer to recognize that DOS is loaded into memory, or at least use a Dos other than 2.0S? Or Steve, can there be a way to set the flag from the software? I guess I could try a hex editor and see if I can modify the "image" put onto the cart, but that doesn't sound too promising.

Any ideas that don't involve packing in a DOS to the cart?

EDIT: I pulled up the .car file and it looks like the flag byte for the cartridge is set to 1. Any ideas as to why this isn't allowing the disk to boot? I also ran the cart in the emulator, and pulled up the memory BFFA-BFFF and it's 00 A0 00 01 00 A0 . This should be allowing the disk boot.

Post subject: Re: Application Bundled with DOS for EXEPACKER
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:45 pm 

Hi,

cas wrote:
Applications sometimes need a DOS to load and save data. If you load an application from the Exepacker Menu, you don't have a DOS.

Here is a small Doc on how to bundle a DOS with an application for the Exepacker.
http://www.strotmann.de/twiki/bin/view/ ... MaxWithDos

Have fun with AtariMax!

Carsten

I followed this link, and did not find the information. :( Is there a new link for this information.. I am trying to bundle DOS so I can Save a file to Memory or ramdisk.

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Application Bundled with DOS for EXEPACKER
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:52 am 

roye wrote:
Hi,

cas wrote:

http://www.strotmann.de/twiki/bin/view/ ... MaxWithDos

Have fun with AtariMax!

Carsten

I followed this link, and did not find the information. :( Is there a new link for this information.. I am trying to bundle DOS so I can Save a file to Memory or ramdisk.

Thanks,

Hello roye,

the information is now at
http://atariwiki.strotmann.de/xwiki/bin ... undled+DOS

Best regards

Carsten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:10 am 

Thanks for the link.. :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]