It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: An Off-topic question about Atari OS and Dos
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:35 pm 

Hi,

I just wanted to know if someone had the idea of burning a new OS to replace the original rom (like Warp+ from Steven) but with both an OS and a DOS. I mean, if I look at the OS rev B, there is 6K free that can be used to put a Dos in the same eprom as the OS. The idea would be to change a couple of bytes in the OS to let him boot on a real drive but if nothing is booting (drive off or no boot disk), the OS would copy the DOS into RAM and run it. Maybe DOS A+ or DOS XL would be perfect because the DOS.SYS is less than 6K and contains a command line interpretor.

Thank you,

EbiGuy

Post subject: Re: An Off-topic question about Atari OS and Dos
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:30 am 

ebiguy wrote:
Hi,

I just wanted to know if someone had the idea of burning a new OS to replace the original rom (like Warp+ from Steven) but with both an OS and a DOS. I mean, if I look at the OS rev B, there is 6K free that can be used to put a Dos in the same eprom as the OS. The idea would be to change a couple of bytes in the OS to let him boot on a real drive but if nothing is booting (drive off or no boot disk), the OS would copy the DOS into RAM and run it. Maybe DOS A+ or DOS XL would be perfect because the DOS.SYS is less than 6K and contains a command line interpretor.

Thank you,

EbiGuy

Hmm you should rewrite a lot of code, this would not be worth doing it. DOS is small and loads quick from floppy. Just upgrade your diskdrive with a speeder like Happy or Speedy.

The Speedy 1050 upgrade even boots DOS from the diskdrive when no disc is in the drive.

TXG/MNX

Post subject: Re: An Off-topic question about Atari OS and Dos
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:18 pm 

ebiguy wrote:
Hi,

Thank you,

EbiGuy

The BiboMon (original from CompyShop Germany, now owned by ABBUC) has a full SD/DD DOS in ROM (FMS Routines, no Menue, but CLI in the Monitor).

Bobi-Mon is a 16K/25K bank-switched ROM replacement including DOS, Monitor and Assembler.

Maybe it is possible to Open - Source the code, then you can take the DOS part and put it in the 6K.

Best regards

Carsten

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]