It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 8Mb carts
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:42 pm 

have anyone tried to port Ultima III to 8Mb cart - similar to the way Ultima IV had been ported (but maybe with music)? it's only two disk, and for some reasons it's more playable than U-IV, at least for me... ;)

or maybe someone created the 8Mb image for M.U.L.E. (400/800 and XE compatible) already?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:04 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

I didnt get much interest in U4 so I didnt do any more, but there isnt any reason it wouldnt work.

The first step would be to modify U3 to work without any disk swapping, one disk in each drive. After that it will work with the -multidisk option, then further mods would be required to make it save/restore from flash cart.

I did make a completely 800 compatible flash cartridge image of MULE, but its a custom job for the 1mbit cart, wont work on an 8mbit cart.

Steve

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:29 am 

classics wrote:
The first step would be to modify U3 to work without any disk swapping, one disk in each drive. After that it will work with the -multidisk option, then further mods would be required to make it save/restore from flash cart.

i'm not sure, but probably U3 has an option to run from two drives... i have to check it out. the save and restore is done from the second drive.

tell me, is there any more detailed manual available on the 8Mbit cart? how do you exactly do bankswitching, do you have to set any registers to be able to write to the flash, and so on?

classics wrote:
I did make a completely 800 compatible flash cartridge image of MULE, but its a custom job for the 1mbit cart, wont work on an 8mbit cart.

oh, yeah, i know that. that is what makes me sad that i bought 8Mb without further checking, what software is available on which cart...

is conversion between 1Mb and 8Mb possible? what are the differences, exactly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:31 pm 

classics wrote:
The first step would be to modify U3 to work without any disk swapping, one disk in each drive.

This part seems easy. After the title screen animation, it loads some additional code from the program disk. At $1082 is the routine that checks for a keypress to continue after you have inserted the scenario disk. I patched this with:

lda #02
sta $bac9
nop
nop

and it seems to work. You can patch your program disk by searching for:
20 18 B8 C9 FF F0 F9

patch it with:
A9 02 8D C9 BA 1A 1A

Quote:
After that it will work with the -multidisk option, then further mods would be required to make it save/restore from flash cart.

That I have no clue how to even begin. Can you write up a mini tutorial on how to do that?

Ok, I just tried it and I have an Ultima III cartridge that works, all except saving anything to the player disk!

Another one I tried yesterday was Gauntlet. I got it working from two drives pretty easily, but this thing is twiddling portB about a dozen times, so I think it must be using RAM under the OS. I commented out all the portB writes and it boots, but eventually crashes with some garbage on the screen. Oh well. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:46 pm 

classics wrote:

Hi Steve

Can you make available that M.U.L.E. image for the 1Mbit cart? I want to play M.U.L.E. without the hassle of using a disk drive...can you help?

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:40 am 

M.U.L.E. for the 1Mb cart is available as a part of the flashcart manual. check the www.atarimax.com and go through the manual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:12 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

lbaeza wrote:
classics wrote:

Hi Steve

Can you make available that M.U.L.E. image for the 1Mbit cart? I want to play M.U.L.E. without the hassle of using a disk drive...can you help?

Regards

Sure, this is essentially the same image thats created in the 'mule cartridge tutorial', except I added a delay so that you read the 'now landing on planet IRATA' message.

BTW if anyone wants a 'mule cartridge' with the label above, just PM me, same price as a standard label 1mbit cartridge.

Steve

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:24 am 

classics wrote:
Sure, this is essentially the same image thats created in the 'mule cartridge tutorial', except I added a delay so that you read the 'now landing on planet IRATA' message.

OK The other night I spent it playing M.U.L.E. with a couple of friends. I programmed my 1MB Flashcart using my 800XL, and setup my other computer, big ol' 800, so we could take advantage of the 4 joysticks ports.

Anyway, one of my friends is an experienced M.U.L.E. player, not like me. So he noticed that in this Maxflash version of the game, some graphics are missing. For instance, no mules are shown at the corral, except when you pick up the mule. And when you catch the wampus, the screen gets full of garbage, with only your character on the middle of it. After that, you push the trigger and continue playing (no computer crash).

Besides these details, we spent a nice night playing M.U.L.E. But I keep asking what could be wrong with the conversion?

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:59 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

I think the source disk I originally used was slightly corrupted. I noticed the mules missing too, but it doesnt seem to effect gameplay.

Sounds like a good excuse to do it all over again. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:15 pm 

I noticed the same problem when I was playing MULE on the PC with the latest version of Atari800Win Plus. Perhaps the .atr file that I have is corrupt also.

Steve, Did you ever redo your image?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:57 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

I have not redone the image since then, though I intend to at some point... time time time. :(

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:46 pm 

Does someone have a link to a trusted disk-image for Mule?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:06 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

If you get one please let me know, I'm not sure which image out there is 'perfect'. I know some have the bad graphics, some have problems running on XL computers and some dont work right in tournament mode. :(

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:24 am 

I have a original disk. with copy protection.
But when you load it from a MD-disk it runs!

want a ATR?

Cheers,
Sijmen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:03 pm 

Here is a copy of the ORIGINAL electronic art diskette.

The original has the copy protection on sector 720, but when you
copy the image like it is (MD medium 1050 density) to a real 5.25"
or image-slot on your MyIDE-drive it works 100% :D

I have checked the copy and it is perfect, no flaws. :!:

Perhaps somebody can help me. JarJar and I made a dutch version 10
years ago and in the program we found the text "Do not steal!", but in
game-play this does not appear..... :?:
Unfortunately the disk was lost in time, perhaps we make a new one in
the coming 10 years :lol:

Happy MULEing!
Sijmen.

P.S. At the STATUS SUMMARY screen, pressing OPTION&START will
let you restart the game (with optional difficulty change)

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next