It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: ATR Images won't load into APE/1MB Carts fail programming
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:47 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:37 pm
Posts: 10
Location: Massachusetts
I'm not on here too often but I still work on my Atari computers regularly. My kids still love 'em too!

In fiddling around with the flash (1 & 8MB) carts, the biggest issue I've had is the ATR Flash images that won't mount into the APE Disk Interface. The CAR images work fine in the test version of Atari800Win but when I try to mount the ATR the "file field" just comes up blank. I have 2 XP Workstations and both do the same thing. (Yes, I installed my APE on both boxes, but only because the images weren't mounting.) :)

Has anyone else experienced this?

The other issue is that I have not had much luck with the 1MB carts on my 130XE (or my 1200XL for that matter). It starts to program the cart but consistently fails. Sometimes it gets through more passes but still fails in the end. The 130XE does fine with 8MB carts.

I have gotten a couple of carts to program on my 1200XL with some patience, but most have failed. The successful ones work on the 1200XL but still will not run on the 130XE.

The 130XE runs anything else flawlessly, including the 8MB flash carts.

Has anyone seen this sort of thing? Any suggestions would be great!



_________________
- Jim D.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:59 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:47 pm
Posts: 27
I think I know what you're talaing about...I've had that problem, as well as some atr files cause the program to lock up, and I have to ctrl-alt-del and shut APE down and start over.
What I found is (sometimes) the APE software doesnt like the length, or a certain character in the filename - like a "(" or a ")"
Try shortening the filename, and limiting it to letters only. See if that helps.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATR Images won't load into APE/1MB Carts fail programmin
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:50 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:55 am
Posts: 1035
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Jim,

What version of APE are you using to load the images? Are you using NTFS or FAT32, and are the image files marked as read-only or 'system'?

I can exchange your cartridges for you if they are not working well. There have always been some computers that just dont like writing to things over the cartridge port (cpu timing), but there were some batches of flash cartridges that are more picky than others.

Steve


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:13 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:37 pm
Posts: 10
Location: Massachusetts
jetset wrote:
I think I know what you're talaing about...I've had that problem, as well as some atr files cause the program to lock up, and I have to ctrl-alt-del and shut APE down and start over.
What I found is (sometimes) the APE software doesnt like the length, or a certain character in the filename - like a "(" or a ")"
Try shortening the filename, and limiting it to letters only. See if that helps.


Thanks for the suggestion. I tried some "simpler" file names and, so far, that seems to do the trick in APE.



_________________
- Jim D.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATR Images won't load into APE/1MB Carts fail programmin
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:19 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:37 pm
Posts: 10
Location: Massachusetts
classics wrote:
Jim,

What version of APE are you using to load the images? Are you using NTFS or FAT32, and are the image files marked as read-only or 'system'?

I can exchange your cartridges for you if they are not working well. There have always been some computers that just dont like writing to things over the cartridge port (cpu timing), but there were some batches of flash cartridges that are more picky than others.

Steve


Hi Steve,

Last version of APE I got from you was 2.1.1.
The system is WinXP SP1, NTFS.
The image files have no special attributes set.

Seems APE doesn't like certain sequences of characters in filenames. The images load OK in Atari800Win+ but not in APE. However, I tried the suggestion above and it seems to work OK for APE.

Thanks for the offer to swap-out the 1Meg carts. I am going to try a couple of things with them first and if I have no luck with them, I will contact you about sending them to you to check out.

Thanks!

- Jim D.



_________________
- Jim D.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:10 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:47 pm
Posts: 27
densonj wrote:
jetset wrote:
I think I know what you're talaing about...I've had that problem, as well as some atr files cause the program to lock up, and I have to ctrl-alt-del and shut APE down and start over.
What I found is (sometimes) the APE software doesnt like the length, or a certain character in the filename - like a "(" or a ")"
Try shortening the filename, and limiting it to letters only. See if that helps.


Thanks for the suggestion. I tried some "simpler" file names and, so far, that seems to do the trick in APE.


What's funnier is, once the APE software recognizes the shorter named file, you can (probably) change the filename back to its original name, and it will also work fine.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:40 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:55 am
Posts: 1035
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
If the path + filename is over 100 characters, it will do that. :(


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:44 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:37 pm
Posts: 10
Location: Massachusetts
classics wrote:
If the path + filename is over 100 characters, it will do that. :(


Yes, I do have the software buried down a couple of levels so I could be passing that threshold. I'll keep that in mind.



_________________
- Jim D.
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: