It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Trouble w/ Zeppelin, Drop Zone & Chambers of Zorp
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:58 pm 

Hi! Friendly neighborhood Smeghead here. :D

I am having a couple of weird glitchy problems with two games in multicart format. I was wondering if anyone had any solutions.

Drop Zone works perfectly fine on the 800 but on an XL/XE, if you hit the spacebar for a smartbomb, it either doesn't work or it crashes the game...
Or sometimes, the game crashes at start-up.

Chambers of Zorp plays fine, but has some graphical problems, like garbage characters on the title screen and on the top and bottom of the screen during game play, around the score.

Anyone with some voodoo out there?

Thanks,
Randy

Last edited by Atari Smeghead on Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Trouble with Drop Zone & Chambers of Zorp
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:58 am 

Atari Smeghead wrote:
Hi! Friendly neighborhood Smeghead here. :D

I am having a couple of weird glitchy problems with two games in multicart format. I was wondering if anyone had any solutions.

Drop Zone works perfectly fine on the 800 but on an XL/XE, if you hit the spacebar for a smartbomb, it either doesn't work or it crashes the game...
Or sometimes, the game crashes at start-up.

Chambers of Zorp plays fine, but has some graphical problems, like garbage characters on the title screen and on the top and bottom of the screen during game play, around the score.

Anyone with some voodoo out there?

Thanks,
Randy

I tried Chambers of Zorp and found no problem (at least as a 8Mb cart under the emulator). Could you post your Chambers of Zorp file so I can check ?

Ebiguy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:00 pm 

Ebiguy,

I've finally had some time to test all the possibilities.

The copy of Zorp I was using was the .XEX file from Fandal's site. Once I downloaded the .EXE from AtariMax's site, it seems to work fine!

***Nope, it is exactly the same. What's annoying is that the .BIN file from the multicart works fine with an emulator, but has garbage characters on both the XEGS and the 800.***

Also, here's what I've found out on the Drop Zone problem. If I use the -OSB switch, Drop Zone will crash or act unpredictably with the emulator. I still need to do more testing in a real situation, but so far, it still won't work right on the XL/XE in real life, no matter which switches I flip.

But, I'm going to do more testing.

Again, thanks!

Randy

Post subject: Zeppelin, Drop Zone and Zorp troubles...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:21 pm 

Also, the .XEX and .EXE copies of Zeppelin that are out there are both cracked versions. They start on Level 7 and crash more often than not. That's the frustrating part... they work occasionally, but moreso on the XEGS than the 800. I compiled it into the multicart using -altptr and -osb. I haven't tried it any other way.

But, of course, they seem to work fine under the emulator but not on the actual computer. Man...

Anyone have a non-cracked version of Zeppelin?

Thanks,
Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:00 pm 

Okay, I have a little more info on what's up with Zeppelin.

There are basically two versions floating out there. One, which was most likely the first crack, starts at Level 7 automatically. There's no way to change that. That file, attached here, is around 24k. I found this one on the XL Search site.

The newer version, at around 29k, is the Jolly Roger hack... says "cheat facility written by the ace, Jon.C" and has options for lives as well as changing the level number. This one is from Fandal and AtariMax site.

The Jolly Roger hack is the one I am having difficulty with on the Multicart. I have not tried the other one, since really, what's the point of having a game that makes you start at Level 7?

If anyone has the expertise to get the smaller version working on Level 1, that would be the best, really.

Thanks,
Randy

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Last edited by Atari Smeghead on Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:34 pm 

Atari Smeghead wrote:
That file, attached here, is around 24k.

Where is the file !

Bye,

Eric.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:02 pm 

ebiguy wrote:

Where is the file !

I didn't realize that if you preview a post, the attachment disappears.

I attached the "original" hack to the last message, and I'll attach the "Jolly Roger Cheat" hack to this one. If one is easier to "fix" than the other, either would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Randy

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:00 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

The problem with chambers of Zorp is the program isnt zeroing out the memory its using before it uses it, it expects it will all be zero at load time.

Dropzone crashed a couple times at startup in the emulator, but with the new kit on a real cart, its not crashing at startup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:23 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Here is the fixed Chambers of Zorp:

http://ape.dyndns.org:8084/A-C/Chambers ... xed%29.exe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:24 pm 

Again, thanks for the help! I'm planning on recompiling all of my Multicarts, using the new Maxflash. Maybe Zeppelin will work fine as well.

I'll let ya know!
Randy

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]