It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Front-end for AtariMax kit
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:05 pm 

Hi,

Here is an alpha version of a front-end for AtariMax kit. The purpose of this software is to build a cartridge image easily. You drag&drop files from Windows explorer and then you select 'Run in the emulator' or 'Build cartridge' from the popup menu.

The next version will probably be on SourceForge.

Could you test this version and give some feedback for the next version.

Be sure to install Atari800WinPlus version 4.0 or higher if you want to try your cartridge in the emulator with just a click. The .CAR format generated by the front-end is compatible with Atari800Win.exe version 4.0 not with Steven's one. Steven's Atari800Win.exe version 3.x is using other values to detect 1Mbit and 8Mbit cartridge type.

Please, download the latest version at
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=158054

Thank you,

Eric.

Last edited by ebiguy on Mon May 15, 2006 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:35 am 

I couldn't get the drag and drop feature to work. What type of file do you have to drag over? I tried executable files because I thought that's what your program is needed to make a cart image or does it take something else?

My setup Windows 2000-SP4, AthlonXP 2400, 1.5gigs Ram.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:53 am 

oesii wrote:
I couldn't get the drag and drop feature to work. What type of file do you have to drag over? I tried executable files because I thought that's what your program is needed to make a cart image or does it take something else?

My setup Windows 2000-SP4, AthlonXP 2400, 1.5gigs Ram.

Hi,

First, create a cartridge using the popup menu.
Then, in Windows explorer drag Atari binary files and drop them on the cartridge title (not on the empty part of the window) because the program lets you create several cartridges and drop files on the cartridge you want.
After, you can move files from a cartridge to another one using drag and drop inside MakeMenu.
At last, select a cartridge and choose run in Atari800WinPlus.

The only real problem of this version is that it does not save your work. I am working on this feature. Each time you quit MakeMenu, you loose all your cartridge definition.

Hope it helps.

Eric.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:51 pm 

Hi Ebiguy!

I'm sorry, but I'm just not getting it.

I ran "Make Menu" and I set path configurations.

That leaves me with an empty box. The only options are

"File" to "Quit"

"Options" to "Path Configuration" "Interactive Maxflash.pl" or "About"

The bottom says "create a cartridge then use drag & drop from Windows Explorer."

So, I have a cartridge made, through the usual Atarimax way... I have the .ATR (Maxflash image), the .BIN and .CAR files. None of those will drag & drop into the white box.

What's my next step?

You say "create a cartridge using the popup menu" but I don't see a pop-up menu? Should there be something showing on this big, white box?

Thanks,
Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:25 pm 

Atari Smeghead wrote:
You say "create a cartridge using the popup menu" but I don't see a pop-up menu? Should there be something showing on this big, white box?

Sorry, my fault. I should have written "create a cartridge using the context menu by clicking on the right mouse button".

I know that there is no documentation.

One more point. MakeMenu is for creating cartridge images (.car and .atr). It is not intended to edit those files !

I just see that when you press the "..." button on the right of "Choose Output Folder" in the configuration dialog box, a dialog is displayed which ask for AtariMax folder. This is a mistake. In this box, you should select a folder where you want your cartridge images (.car and .atr) be created.

Maybe this was too early to release a version but I wanted to get feedback as soon as possible.

Thank you for trying,

Eric.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:27 pm 

Ah, the right-click did it, didn't think of that one :)

Tried it out again and seems to work well. I used the .car files on AWP 4.0 and I'll tryout the maxflash image when I get a chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:29 pm 

Okay, I got the right-click thing now.

I clicked "Add a Cartridge" and named it "102305." I dragged and dropped a few .xex files to it.
I clicked "Properties" to "Options" and turned on -altptr, -cheese, -cart, -exepacker.
I clicked "Build cartridge" and it tells me...

"Error while opening 102305.bin" which is odd, isn't it? I thought it didn't create a .bin file, only .car and .atr files? Do I need to have a .bin file in order for this to work?

All it created is a .bat file.

I'll tell ya, I can see where this will be a really nice and convenient program, once you get the bugs worked out and the documention written for those of us who need extra help! :D

Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:04 am 

Atari Smeghead wrote:
I clicked "Properties" to "Options" and turned on -altptr, -cheese, -cart, -exepacker.

In the options dialog box, you have to click on checkboxes or enter "additionnal" options in the last line. For -cheese and -altptr, just click on these checkboxes. Options -cart and -exepacker should NOT be specified because MakeMenu always generates XXX.car and XXX.atr files. It detects if you dropped exe files or atr files and knows if it has to issue a -exepacker or a -diskpacker. So, in your example, just click on options but do not add additionnal ones.

Atari Smeghead wrote:
I clicked "Build cartridge" and it tells me...

"Error while opening 102305.bin" which is odd, isn't it? I thought it didn't create a .bin file, only .car and .atr files? Do I need to have a .bin file in order for this to work?

All it created is a .bat file.

1- The first step in MakeMenu is to generate a .bat file which contains the command line for maxflash.pl.
2- Then this command is run. At this point, you should see a DOS command window appears, executing maxflash.pl. The result sould be a .bin and a .atr file. maxflash.pl does not generate a .car file because it is incompatible with Atari800WinPlus version 4.0.
3- Then MakeMenu converts the .bin into a .car file to get the compatible .car file with Atari800WinPlus version 4.0

So, if MakeMenu complains about the .bin file, it means that maxflash.pl did not generate it.

Did you see the DOS command window (even for a short period of time - one second) ?

If the answer is No (no DOS appears), then your problem may be a configuration problem.
Could you check in the main menu ("Options" then "Path configuration") that the first path is correct (Locate 'maxflash.pl')

If the answer is Yes (a DOS appears), then there is probably an error during the execution of maxflah.pl. To see it, maybe you can check in the main menu ("Options" then "Interactive maxflash.pl"). This way, the DOS command window will be interactive.

Atari Smeghead wrote:
I'll tell ya, I can see where this will be a really nice and convenient program, once you get the bugs worked out and the documention written for those of us who need extra help! :D

Thank you.

Eric.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:50 pm 

ebiguy wrote:
It detects if you dropped exe files or atr files and knows if it has to issue a -exepacker or a -diskpacker. So, in your example, just click on options but do not add additionnal ones.

That's quite an amazing feat! I was also very impressed by the fact that when I added "Mr. Do" to the games list and removed -altptr, I received a warning. "File has segments which can override loader. Try -altptr."

Re: "Error while opening 102305.bin"

ebiguy wrote:
So, if MakeMenu complains about the .bin file, it means that maxflash.pl did not generate it.

Did you see the DOS command window (even for a short period of time - one second) ?

If the answer is Yes (a DOS appears), then there is probably an error during the execution of maxflah.pl. To see it, maybe you can check in the main menu ("Options" then "Interactive maxflash.pl"). This way, the DOS command window will be interactive.

Eric.

As far as I can tell, I have the proper Maxflash.pl file linked.

Okay, here's what I've found out. If I do not turn on any switches, AND I turn on the Interactive Maxflash.pl, it will run. If I click -Altptr and/or -cheese, it will give the .bin error. If I do not have the checkmark next to the Interactive Maxflash.pl, it will not run. I can, very briefly, see "bad command or file name" on the DOS window.

Would it help to know what version of stuff I have?

I am impressed by another thing. I see that the order I drop games into the program is exactly how they appear on the multicart! That's been giving me fits for a long time, since it grabs the physical location on the hard drive and doesn't care what the file is called. That's a brilliant touch!

I hope my testing helps you some.

Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:19 am 

Atari Smeghead wrote:
ebiguy wrote:
If I do not have the checkmark next to the Interactive Maxflash.pl, it will not run. I can, very briefly, see "bad command or file name" on the DOS window.

This is a new hint ! Could you check that perl.exe is in your path.

If you are under Windows 2000 or XP, you should look at the properties dialog box of "My computer" and check if the PATH variable contains someting like "C:\Perl\bin".
If you are under Windows 98, check that the PATH variable in your autoexec.bat file contains something like "C:\Perl\bin".

To see if it's really a PATH problem, you can also try to get the "bad command or file name" error in MakeMenu and then run manually the .bat which is created by MakeMenu in the output folder. It should generate the same error. Edit the .bat and add the full path for perl.exe. For example, change perl.exe to C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe (if your Perl is in this folder) and run the batch again. If you get a different error, it means that it is a confirmation of the PATH problem explained above.

Hope we will find your problem. It's hard to help when I don't see your configuration !

Eric.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:54 am 

Hi,

I think I have found your problem. I changed a couple of things in this version:
- fixed cartridge build feature (I hope...)
- fixed a bug on bad segment detection
- added PORT B write detection
- added a message when user does not drop files on a cartridge

Still no save (will probably come next week)

Thank you,

Eric.

Last edited by ebiguy on Mon May 15, 2006 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:06 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Eric,

Wow what a great contribution, thanks. :)

I've just returned from vacation and will give this a try!

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:52 pm 

Thanks for this software!

Maybe I'm missing something, but are you allowed to drop straight ROM images to the flash cart (direct dumps from the cartridges)? I tried do that and it didn't like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:00 am 

warerat wrote:
Thanks for this software!

Maybe I'm missing something, but are you allowed to drop straight ROM images to the flash cart (direct dumps from the cartridges)? I tried do that and it didn't like it.

You probably downloaded the file in this thread. It was a beta version with very few features. So I removed the file.

The project is now on SourceForge and can be downloaded at
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=158054

In this version, you can add ROM files, binary files, and single sided ATR/XFD files. If you build a 8Mbit cartridge, you can also include one 1Mbit cartridge.

You can build 1Mbit, 8Mbit and MyIDE+Flash cartridges.

There is also another loader which lets you make directories (useful for 8Mbit cartridges where 50 to 100 fles can be added). You have to use this new loader (called SuperMenu in the software) to be able to add ROM files and 1Mbit files.

There is no dcumentation. Sorry. So, feel free to ask any questions

Eric.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]