It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Where is the maxflash software (image)???
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:51 pm 

O.K., I downloaded the zipped files from the site and unzipped them, but I see no .atr image to mount in virtual D1: or make into a floppy disk. All I see that remotely looks like anything is a flash.com file, but A.P.E will not recognize it as an Atari utility program and allow me to load it from the mirror directory. All I want to do for now is to get a maxflash image that someone made and listed here, so i can try out my cart, and there is so much lacking in the instructions. It says to put the maxflash software in Drive one of a real floppy drive or A.P.E virtual drive, but it doesn't say where to get the program. :cry: Is it talking about the actual image I want to put on the flashcart and the software for copying it from drive 1 to the flashcart is already built in? That's not what the instructions imply, which is the problem, as most of the instructions seem to be for someone who knows what to do already, not for a newbie. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:13 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

For some pre-made images you can get started with look in the 1mbit and 8mbit flash cartridge image forums.

Each message in those forums has a pre-made image attached that you can download and run. They are pre-compiled ready to flash ATR programming images.

Steve

Post subject: (The FLASH utility)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:16 pm 

I'm talking about the flash program itself, the program disk I'm supposed to have to put in the disk drive and boot it up to erase and reprogram the cartridge with the flash images?!? The thing that get's it ALL started?!? The program that there is a screen shot of in step 2 of the instructions? on the screen shot it says "Atarimax Flash utility build." Is this program built into the pre-compiled image or is it a seperate program that you load and then you is to transfer the pre-compiled images to the flashrom?!? It doesn't state anything about it in the manual, it just says to put the program disk into drive 1, hold option and it boots. This is what I mean about having to know what to do before you read the instructions that are supposed to teach you what to do. I'm getting very frustrated. Partly becuase I've been trying to just find this program all day and didn't get a reply to this post al day until you replied recently, with an answer that doesn't help me a bit. I don't understand what you are saying.

Post subject: Re: (The FLASH utility)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:28 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Gunstar wrote:
I'm talking about the flash program itself, the program disk I'm supposed to have to put in the disk drive and boot it up to erase and reprogram the cartridge with the flash images?!? The thing that get's it ALL started?!?

The program that there is a screen shot of in step 2 of the instructions? on the screen shot it says "Atarimax Flash utility build." Is this program built into the pre-compiled image or is it a seperate program that you load and then you is to transfer the pre-compiled images to the flashrom?!?

Is this is the image you are talking about?

That program is part of every ATR image you see in the flash cartridge image forums. When you boot that ATR image, you will get that screen, allowing you to program your cartridge with the contents of the programming image.

These 'programming images' are pre-compiled ready to use flashing images that will self-program your cartridge with thier contents when booted.

Quote:
It doesn't state anything about it in the manual, it just says to put the program disk into drive 1, hold option and it boots. This is what I mean about having to know what to do before you read the instructions that are supposed to teach you what to do. I'm getting very frustrated.

The best thing to do, before attempting to make your own images, is to download a few of the ATR images from the forum and try programming your cartridge with those.

Just load the programming image into drive #1 via SIO2PC and boot from that with your cartridge inserted.

Quote:
Partly becuase I've been trying to just find this program all day and didn't get a reply to this post al day until you replied recently, with an answer that doesn't help me a bit. I don't understand what you are saying.

I'm sorry my answer was not as helpful or as prompt as I would have liked it to be. If I still didnt clear things up please let me know.

Thanks

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:05 pm 

Sorry ti be testy, I know it's not your fault I didn't get a response very quickly, it's not that, it's that it's such a simple thing that would take one sentence to say in the instructions that would make it INFINATELY more clear and I would have had everything running in ten minutes this morning instead of spending all day trying to find this "program" that isn't named and just shows a screen shot, not explaining it's included in flash images. Obviously I'm just incredibly stupid or something though, if no one else has complained about it before.

I finally figured out that that utility is on the flash images. It would have been NICE if the instructions stated that instead of just refering to it as the "program" and showing that screen. I naturally assumed it was an entirely seperate program I couldn't find in any of the downloaded files.

O.K., I did managed to finally get an image installed on the flashcart (Ultima IV). I tried more times than I can count on my 130XE to insert the cartridge without it crashing the program that's supposed to be protected against failing when the cartridge is inserted. One time it finally didn't crash and recognized the flashcart, it recognized it as a 4Mb cart instead of 8 and the whole process failed. Well, after attempting it on my 1200xl, which actually didn't crash even on the first attempt of plugging the cart in, it recognized it as an 8Mb cart and start the erase and load procedure. It failed, several more times. Luckily my 1200 has the Warp+ 32-in-1 OS in it, so I tried the whole procedure again after switching to the Warp+ OS. This time everything finally worked fine (at least the utility said it did) but when I turned off the computer, waited the 5 seconds and turned it back on, it would go back to loading the utility instead of running the cartridge. So, I tried it in my XE, worked fine. So I changed my 1200XL 32-in-1 to XL/XE rev. C mode and the cartridge worked fine. So, is it what is loaded onto the flashcart that deterimines if it will work with a certain OS or not(it's Ultima IV that's incompatible with Warp+ and not the cart?), or, will I only be able to reprogram it with Warp+ and then have to reset the OS back to a standard Atari OS to run it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:34 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

To some extent it does matter what OS you have enabled, with some programs.

Ultima IV is a custom image with a lot of modifications, not really a standard kit image, so its a little more restrictive.

Multicart type images will have much less restriction, since make of them are pre-loaded with a copy of OSB, which is installed as the OS at boot time.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:40 am 

Gunstar: it sounds like you are running a flashing ATR and then inserting your cartridge? You will save yourself lots of aggravation if you leave your cartridge in, and hold down option when you boot your machine (which bypasses the cartridge on almost all maxflash cartridge images and boots the disk.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:27 pm 

Shawn Jefferson wrote:
Gunstar: it sounds like you are running a flashing ATR and then inserting your cartridge? You will save yourself lots of aggravation if you leave your cartridge in, and hold down option when you boot your machine (which bypasses the cartridge on almost all maxflash cartridge images and boots the disk.)

what you are talking about only works if something has been programmed onto the cartridge. If it's new and empty, like mine was, you can't do that.

As I stated above, I finally got U4 image loaded, but I also tried to load the 8mb test images 1&2 and Randy's images 1&2 about ten times apiece, with Ape warp OS, Warp+ OS, XL/XE rev. B and C and 1200xl revision 10, and every attempt recieved a "programming failed" response and nothing on the cart. This is turning into a real pain in the *ss for me. This thing is useless to me if I can't ever get anything installed on it. :? I'm not sure, but maybe it's becuase you have to use the same OS the image was created with to get it to install properly? I'd sure like to know what OS people have the most trouble with and which they have the most success with. I'm about to give up with this damn thing and sell it off on E-bay. :x (I don't really want to, it's an ingenious product, but I I can't get better success (better than about a 1% success rate so far), then it's not worth the trouble. It seems to do everything right and verify all the writes, right down to the last "sector" and then it always ends in a "program failed." :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:02 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Sounds more like a problem with the machine or the flash cartridge.

Some computers have timing problems that only exibit while programming the cartridge, or it could be the cartridge itself.

Check your other thread for a suggestion.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:31 pm 

Gunstar: don't let a bad cart sour you on the flash cartridge. It's a very handy Atari gadget!

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:19 am 

Shawn Jefferson wrote:
Gunstar: don't let a bad cart sour you on the flash cartridge. It's a very handy Atari gadget!

Good luck!

To quite the contrary, I was becoming sour quite quickly on instructions and software (becuase I was trying to follow them to the letter and having about a 99% failure rate) that I felt were very user unfriendly, but if my problems have been due to a faulty cartridge, then the instructions and software were not to blame and are vindicated, and hopefully replacement of the cartridge will be headache free. I'm an electronics guy, not a programmer, but I know that bugs or "ghosts in the machine" are common with both as well as manufacturing mistakes that can slip by. Even the highest quality product lines have lemons once in a while. But I have yet to try out the diagnostic program today, so nothing is definate yet.

Post subject: Please can this be made sticky?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:24 am 

as I spent a few hours searching whether to upload an .atr, boot from dos first or to look for and set up maxflash and so on... if this topic was made sticky it'd 'Switch a light on' for a few visitors I'm sure.

thanks!

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]