It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: any chance someone could make an intellivision multicart?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:30 pm 

Hi everyone,

I am well aware of the LTO product and i know there was some ancient solution before that, but LTO has been out of production for at least a year now. I know chip shortages and covid were a drag, but i think there's other factors going on with that cart and i just have less and less faith we'll ever see them made again.

So I just figured anyone with the knowhow to make awesome products (like atarimax stuff) I have the 128-in-1 cartridge. I just wonder with that knowhow, it might be plausible to create a similar product for intellivision? There is a backlog probably of hundreds of people waiting for an LTO that are waiting for a solution. The LTO seems to be the only game in town and I'd love to see that change.

What's more, the LTO is a unit with built in memory.. not open ended SD design so there is room not just to make a duplicate product, but a better one. Something that doesn't need any special software. Just the ability to read an SD card and display the games on screen to select. The LTO shows it's certainly possible to achieve this.

Thanks,
Caleb

Post subject: Re: any chance someone could make an intellivision multicart
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:33 am 

Just saw this. I concur wholeheartedly. Perhaps if enough people clamored for this, it would garner support. There has to be a pent-up demand -- not due to a recession, but the sheer lack of product. AtariMax makes the Intellivision Dumping Adapter. Now if they'd only make the SD Multi-Cart. Who is more capable? Who has more experience? Who has more product support via the community? No one. Thank you for starting and continuing this conversation.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 11:41 am 

Who would I talk too about making something like this at AtariMax?

I do have some news on this.. another product does exist that will act as an SD multicart.. however the LTO cartridge does have some whistles and bells this alternative lacks (added chips / capabilities for some advanced homebrew games), but for those of us who just want an SD solution for basic / typical roms..

this is a kind of swiss army knife SD multicart but they have intellivision support and that's what was much needed.. https://store.backbit.io/

That said it's only taking preorders so it's not out yet, but AtariMax could still get in this market easily and have a way to make a considerable mark in the intellivision community and homebrew developers!

Thanks,
Caleb

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:15 pm 

part12studios wrote:
Who would I talk too about making something like this at AtariMax?

I suppose you could go to the AtariMax website and send an email to Steve. Although as busy as he is, you may not get a response. It would surprise me if he hasn't already given it some thought. I'm sure he likely has reasons why he hasn't pursued it yet.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 5:10 am 

Yea I inquired about some stuff before but never got a response so yea i imagine they have their reasons for not already having something. i'm hoping the backbit fills this gap. they are taking preorders and word is things will be shipping in June so hopefully this materializes soon and i can stop caring about LTO so much.. I would still get one for it's unique capabilities but not at the scalper prices.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 7:25 am 

Yes. I forgot to thank you regarding the information about backbit. I will definitely look into it.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 7:47 am 

anytime. i love supporting all of these great innovators, but i also just want to make sure the community is informed of all options. we all love our retro games! :)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:46 pm 

Well, I decided not to wait. I never heard back from LTO and while I love AtariMax products, I've not read even a hint of an Intellivision Multi-Cart; so I elected to backorder the Backbit Pro. At least, I should have at least one INTV M-C locked in before they become obsolete again.

Thanks again, part12studios, for the tip! :)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:18 am 

Yep I took the plunge as well. In spite of having a bunch of different consoles, the intellivision was my first game console as a kid and ironically the last multicart i found.. in fact it's really the ONLY system I had an trouble finding a multicart for. Well the Odyssey 2 took a little asking around on this forum, but once i found the person, the rest was pretty easy. It was still a fraction of the searching / effort compared to the LTO..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:33 pm 

I expressed interest to RetroHQ who makes the Lynx and Jaguar carts, and the 7800 one about to come out that also adds RGB output on the cart itself. They said it was on their list to consider, so I'd express interest to them to let them know. Though it does sound like the backbit is a good solution for now. I was lucky to be in the forum when LTO was upcoming and got one from the first batch, so I haven't been looking desperately but would like something on hand if there's ever an issue with the LTO. Also, having to use Windows (not all my machines found it) to upload roms isn't as nice as popping in an SD card.

There have finally been 2 new controllers for Intellivision by the way. RetroGameboyz released a small arcade-style stick with 3 buttons and a number pad. However it is only 8-way as opposed to the 16-way pad on the real one. However, most games only have 8-way (or less) movement, and a few that use 16-way are still playable, you just don't move in as many directions.
There's also a new circle-pad that is 16-way from Côté Gamers which is held horizontally like an NES controller - you can even get a left handed version of it. You can swap the disc out for a stick but that limits it to 8-way. They sell an adapter to use it with Intellivision 1 as well. I have 2 of the RetroGameboyz sticks and ordered two of the pads, which are still on backorder. RetroGameboyz definitely delivered faster, but I'd love to try some new 16-way pads finally!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]