It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cut and Paste Flash Images?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:14 pm 

I'm looking for an easier way to create flash images than with PERL scripts.
The root of this is (was) not being able to successfully install PERL on my XP system. But it got me thinking -- perhaps within some common categories such as a single 8K or 16K cart, one can just cut and paste the relevant data into an existing flash image program? I haven't tried this, but perhaps someone else alreay has? By doing this one would have several "templates" to insert new data into. And no PERL scripts required.

Post subject: Re: Cut and Paste Flash Images?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:23 am 

thewhiz wrote:
I'm looking for an easier way to create flash images than with PERL scripts.
The root of this is (was) not being able to successfully install PERL on my XP system. But it got me thinking -- perhaps within some common categories such as a single 8K or 16K cart, one can just cut and paste the relevant data into an existing flash image program? I haven't tried this, but perhaps someone else alreay has? By doing this one would have several "templates" to insert new data into. And no PERL scripts required.

Hi,

Please, download MakeMenu at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=158054
This program does everything without running the PERL script of MaxFlash kit.
And it's much more friendly than inserting data into "templates" !
And MakeMenu supports all 8K and 16K cartridges.

TheWiz, just a few questions.
- Did you know about MakeMenu ?
- If you knew it, what did you understand about its purpose ?

I understand that many AtariMax users do NOT know about MakeMenu. I can see it because there are very few downloads compared to the number of guys registered in this forum.

Steve, what would be the best way to advertise MakeMenu ?

Eric.

Post subject: MakeMenu
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:11 pm 

Hi-

Thanks for the info & link to MakeMenu. No, I had not heard about MakeMenu. I'll give it a try. -Larry

Post subject: Re: Cut and Paste Flash Images?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:14 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

ebiguy wrote:
Steve, what would be the best way to advertise MakeMenu ?

A quick tutorial on how to set up the kit using MakeMenu would probably help.

I'd be happy to place it on the main page ahead of the current documentation, which is probably scaring most people away anyway.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:30 am 

I bought today an 8 Mbit cartridge and I was worried with all that PERL thing. Thanks for the advice. MakeMenu is the name!

:-)

Post subject: Lost in a sea of installs/options/switches.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:53 pm 

Hi Eric and Steve-

OK, I tried (again). I downloaded plugins for Firefox so that I could get VBSCRIPT. And I needed VBSCRIPT so that Active PERL would install. Then I tried to run MAKEMENU with the Maxflash Software Kit. and ultimately got "Lost in a sea of installs/options/switches."

I think what would help me *immensely* is a *complete* step-by-step example from *start to finish* for some program to be put in a flashcart.
And maybe along the way a brief note here and there about WHY we are doing certain steps.

Then, perhaps (later) the instructions can be partially updated for other types of image-making. (?)

Hope you will help me and (likely) others in the same boat.
-Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:11 pm 

Larry,
I am confused as to why you had to download VBscript to install perl. I went to the link Steve has on the doc page, and downloaded the install. I then opened a command prompt and ran the exe. It asked a gew questions and installed Perl on my recently rebuilt XP machine.
Isaac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:12 am 

Hi Isaac-

Yes, I used the same link, but when I tried to install ActivePERL, it aborted and gave an error message that I needed to first install VBSCRIPT from MS. Presumably your machine already has it installed -- perhaps from the Windows install CD or Service Pack installs? After I jumped through several hoops (plug-ins, "Genuine Advantage", etc.) they let me D/L VBSCRIPT. Then PERL installed without incident. -Larry

Post subject: Re: Lost in a sea of installs/options/switches.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:22 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

thewhiz wrote:
Hi Eric and Steve-
OK, I tried (again). I downloaded plugins for Firefox so that I could get VBSCRIPT. And I needed VBSCRIPT so that Active PERL would install.

The MSI file they use does require Windows Installer, which is probably causing the dependancy on vbscript.

thewhiz wrote:
Then I tried to run MAKEMENU with the Maxflash Software Kit. and ultimately got "Lost in a sea of installs/options/switches."

If you are going to use MakeMenu, all you need to do using the command line version is run a test build to make sure everything is installed properly.

./maxflash.pl -testbuild

If that succeeds then you can move on to setting up MakeMenu.

thewhiz wrote:
I think what would help me *immensely* is a *complete* step-by-step example from *start to finish* for some program to be put in a flashcart.
And maybe along the way a brief note here and there about WHY we are doing certain steps.

I'll create a quick start document showing how to use MakeMenu instead of compiling using all the command line kung-fu.

The current documentation is too technical and confusing, bordering on useless for people just getting started.

Steve

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:10 pm 

Thanks, Steve! I look forward to seeing the "new & improved" quick start docs.
-Larry

Post subject: Re: Lost in a sea of installs/options/switches.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:22 pm 

classics wrote:

thewhiz wrote:

(snip...)

I'll create a quick start document showing how to use MakeMenu instead of compiling using all the command line kung-fu.

The current documentation is too technical and confusing, bordering on useless for people just getting started.

Steve

Did anyone ever make up the "Quick-Start" guide to using Make Menu to make flash images? I still think it would be very useful to lots of folks -- certainly to me. I have several things I'd love to put into the 6 carts that I purchased, including Turbo Basic XL.
-Larry

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]