It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




 Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: .ATR .COM .EXE file question
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:07 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:50 am
Posts: 52
Location: Lansing MI
Hello,

If I am reading the documentation correctly... if I wanted to use game ROMs with .ATR extensions, I can only put one file on the cart. Is this right? I can't pack multiple .ATR files onto a cart?

I see that I can put as many .EXE files on a cart as will fit, but what about .COM files? The reason I ask is that there's a game, Aztec (not Aztec Challenge) that I found on .COM format but not on .EXE. If I can pack multiple .COM files onto the cart, can I mix and match .EXE and .COMs? Or can I convert a .COM to a .EXE?

Thanks!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: .ATR .COM .EXE file question
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:25 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:55 am
Posts: 1035
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Atari Smeghead wrote:
Hello,

If I am reading the documentation correctly... if I wanted to use game ROMs with .ATR extensions, I can only put one file on the cart. Is this right? I can't pack multiple .ATR files onto a cart?


An ATR is a disk image. There are a lot of mutant ATR image running around that were created with a exe-to-atr converter, I assume these are the files you are talking about. They are a small disk boot loader + the original EXE file.

If you wanted to pack that onto a 1Mbit cartridge you would only get 1 on the cartridge with the current kit. The current kit functionality with ATR images is more geared toward full-disk sized images.

If its one of those really tiny EXE-to-ATR converted files, just look in the archives for the original EXE version.

Atari Smeghead wrote:
I see that I can put as many .EXE files on a cart as will fit, but what about .COM files? The reason I ask is that there's a game, Aztec (not Aztec Challenge) that I found on .COM format but not on .EXE. If I can pack multiple .COM files onto the cart, can I mix and match .EXE and .COMs? Or can I convert a .COM to a .EXE?


COM, EXE and XEX files are all the same thing. The script will automatically process any valid Atari execuable no matter what file name extension it has.

Check the links in Chapter 9 of the documentation. There are a few archives there full of EXE files that together pretty much cover all the games you might find in EXE format.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:09 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:50 am
Posts: 52
Location: Lansing MI
Let me ask you this... If I have an .ATR version (one of the "tiny" ones that was perhaps converted from an .EXE) but I can't find the .EXE of it out there, is there a way to convert an .ATR to an .EXE?

There are a couple games, specifically, that I would rather put on a Multi-Cart, as opposed to using a whole cartridge. They are....Aztec and Dandy.

However, I just realized that the .ATR files for both of those are 91k, so I suppose that IS the majority of a 1Mb cart. But still... anyone have .EXEs of those two?

Also, anyone have Karateka or Aquatron in .EXE format?

Also also, what does the .gz at the end of some .atr files signify?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:45 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:55 am
Posts: 1035
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Atari Smeghead wrote:
Let me ask you this... If I have an .ATR version (one of the "tiny" ones that was perhaps converted from an .EXE) but I can't find the .EXE of it out there, is there a way to convert an .ATR to an .EXE?


Possibly.. not definatly. It depends on how it was converted and if the original EXE structure is intact, or if the program mutated it somehow.

If you post the files in question I will take a look at them.

Atari Smeghead wrote:
There are a couple games, specifically, that I would rather put on a Multi-Cart, as opposed to using a whole cartridge. They are....Aztec and Dandy.

However, I just realized that the .ATR files for both of those are 91k, so I suppose that IS the majority of a 1Mb cart. But still... anyone have .EXEs of those two?

Also, anyone have Karateka or Aquatron in .EXE format?

Also also, what does the .gz at the end of some .atr files signify?


If they are 91k then they are probably full disk games. I only have those games in disk format.

I believe Karateka areas from disk as you progress so its unlikely that will be found in exe format.

gz files are gzipped with the GNU Zip utility. You can get gzip and gunzip free at www.gzip.org for pretty much any platform :)


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

cron