It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Problem with 32-in-1 OS!!! PLEASE HELP!!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:36 pm 

I've had the 32-in-1 OS for quite a while now, and it had been working perfectly, my 1200XL in which it is installed has not been used for about 6 months, it has just been standing ready on my desk for that time. I decided to boot it up again recently, as I missed using it. Well, I switched it on, and it seemed to work at first, but then I started experiencing strange behavior from the computer, and it crashed, then I rebooted and I held select as I usually do, to decide on the OS I wanted to use, but it wouldn't changed from APE Warp+. I reboot and I get the blue screen with a static (not blinking) curser at the top of the screen and that is it. Nothing else happens, the system is locked up. Now, when I tried to hold down the select button while turning on the power to access the 32-in-1 OS menu, the menu comes up like normal, but once again, EVERYTHING is locked up and I can't choose an OS. Down at the bottom of the screen where it says "current OS in use" or whatever, it says COMMUNICATION ERROR. Has the 32-in-1 OS gone bad? Maybe the eeprom or whatever lost it's data? I've taken the 1200 apart and everything is as it was, no loose wires or cold solder connections, all chips are mounted properly, etc., I unplugged and reseated the 32-in-1 OS chip and board, and tested the computer again, and now all I get is the grean screen of death. I've double checked all connections, solder points and chip seating. I think part of the upgrade may have died. :cry:
I've dealt with bad OS chips before with an 800 and the symptom was the same green screen of death. Can I send my 32-in-1 back for testing? At least I could get it fixed/replaced or eliminated as the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:38 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Do you have an XL/XE OS rom?

If so remove the 32-in-1 module and put the standard XL/XE OS ROM in its place.

If the computer behaves as a normal 64k XL then you should send back the 32-in-1 module for repair or replacement.

Drop me an e-mail at classics@atarimax.com to arrange the return.

Thanks

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:56 pm 

classics wrote:
Do you have an XL/XE OS rom?

If so remove the 32-in-1 module and put the standard XL/XE OS ROM in its place.

If the computer behaves as a normal 64k XL then you should send back the 32-in-1 module for repair or replacement.

Drop me an e-mail at classics@atarimax.com to arrange the return.

Thanks

Steve

What about all the jumpers and jumper wires and resisters and pins that were changed/cut/removed/added during installation? Won't those changes screw things up for the standard XL/XE OS? (1200XL installation)
Wouldn't I have to completely reverse the procedure for the standard OS chips to function properly again?

And if it's not the OS, what are other failures that have the symptom of a green screen when turning on the computer? Anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:50 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Just unplug the connector and remove the module, then replace it with a standard XL/XE OS rom. You do not need to remove any of the jumpers or other modifications, if the module is the problem it should behave like a standard 64k XL/XE computer with your OS ROM inserted.

Otherwise, I would first check the voltage output on the 1200XL regulators. The 1200XL has two 5v regulators and its not uncommon for one to fail, leaving half the computer with no power.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:40 pm 

Thanks! I'll look into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:44 pm 

classics wrote:
Just unplug the connector and remove the module, then replace it with a standard XL/XE OS rom. You do not need to remove any of the jumpers or other modifications, if the module is the problem it should behave like a standard 64k XL/XE computer with your OS ROM inserted.

Otherwise, I would first check the voltage output on the 1200XL regulators. The 1200XL has two 5v regulators and its not uncommon for one to fail, leaving half the computer with no power.

Steve

Are you saying that I only need to remove the module, and not the other replacement chip; what is that one for? Is that one Basic? The stock 1200 doesn't have basic, but there are still two chips. I don't recall which sockets (order) the two chips go into; I have the co60616A and co60617A. Looking at the PCB from the front, which goes into the bottom and top OS sockets, the bottom is the one with the module in it, and the top has the chip with the cut pin 26 on the 32-in-1 OS. And with the 32-pin sockets, the 28-pin chips are shifted to the right? It's been a while since I did this mod, and don't recall and I can't seem to find any 1200 motherboard pictures. Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:41 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Actually I meant the OS ROM from a XL or XE other than the 1200XL, like a 800XL or 130XE.

The rom for those machines should be a 28 pin device that will fit in the same socket as the Warp+ OS module.

If you want to use the original 1200XL split ROMs you would have to undo the upgrade.

The other chip is BASIC, which you should leave in since a 800XL or 130XE type computer would have that.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:05 am 

Yeah, see, that's what I thought, which is why I've been specific in pointing out that the 32-in-1 is in a 1200XL. All I have are the OS roms from my 1200XL that I replaced with the 32-in-1 upgrade. I certainly don't want to undo the entire mod, and I'm 99% sure it's the 32-in-1 that is the problem becuase of the way things died with the computer booting fine, but the 32-in-1 wouldn't let me change out of the current OS, then froze upon bootup, and only allowed menu access, but would then freeze up with the "communitcation error" status, and then complete and utter failure with the green screen of death. Can't I just send the 32-in-1 back to you to be tested? So I don't have to undo the entire mod, which I intend to keep whether the OS needs fixing or not, I don't want to undo and redo the entire mod just to "test" my computer, testing the 32-in-1 OS is much simpler. You must test these things before shipping them right? So aren't you setup to easily retest mine? Oh, and I tested both my 5v power regulators and they are fine.

P.S., I'm willing to pay for shipping both ways and anything else. Just let me know and I'll e-mail you to continue this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:13 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Gunstar wrote:
Can't I just send the 32-in-1 back to you to be tested?

Yes, please e-mail me to arrange the exchange at classics@atarimax.com

Gunstar wrote:
You must test these things before shipping them right? So aren't you setup to easily retest mine? Oh, and I tested both my 5v power regulators and they are fine.

I have a similarly modified 1200XL of my own I can test the new one in before sending it out.

Quote:
P.S., I'm willing to pay for shipping both ways and anything else. Just let me know and I'll e-mail you to continue this...

There is no service charge or return shipping charge for warranty service. :)

Thanks

Steve

Post subject: 32-in-1 OS Communication Error
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:02 am 

Hello Steve,

I just read this posting for the first time and I have a similar problem with my 32-in-1 OS. It says Communication Error...but I still get the menu options showing all of the OS'es. I can also still pick one that I want.

I was wondering (and hoping), would reprogramming the OS (super-cool) with the 8MBit card clear up this problem, or do I have a chip that is going bad?

Thank you very much!

Fred Aulgur
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:31 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

It sounds more like a problem with the diode or the MCU on the Warp+ OS board, flashing will not change it.

Look at the diode on your Warp+ OS board, make sure it is installed in the same orientation as the photo here:

http://www.atarimax.com/warpos/document ... e_glam.jpg

The black stripe should be toward the * mark on the PCB and the wiring header.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:36 am 

I sometimes get the "communication error" messages too, but choosing an OS fixes it for next boot. I think it has something to do with drawing too much power maybe? When I was seeing this happen, I have the following hooked up:

32-in-1 OS
256k memory upgrade
MyIDE cart
SIO2PC (powered from Atari)

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]