It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: ACE80-XL to Flashcart?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

If there is no source you would need to disassemble the program and relocate the code to run a A000-BFFF instead of 8000-9FFF. If its using the RAM in A000-BFFF you would need to change those references to 8000-9FFF.

If there is source you may just need to change the .ORG directive from 8000 to A000 and check to see if its using any RAM, moving those references if needed.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:48 pm 

Steve:

So here's the story (per ACE80 author's notes):

"Try the copy of ACE80XL.EPR from the disk ACE80D1.ATR, which has the 4K ROM image. Do the replacing, remove the header, and flash it into the upper half of the 8K bank. I don't have an AtariMax cart so I don't know the flashing details, but I do know that ACE80XL ROM has to be in the address range $B000-$BFFF."

Required operating address-range seems to coincide with your recommendation. I have attached the corresponding modified "ACE80-XL-noHDR.EPR" file/s, with the following changes:

1. Removed 6-byte header (first six bytes) from original ACE80XL.EPR
2. Change "CRTOFF" equate value from $D508 to $D580, for properly "shutting down" the flash-cart. On actual file, pair is ($08,$D5) to ($80,$D5), only ONE occurrence found.
3. Save the file, with resulting 4096 exact byte-count (this is where I ENDED).

4. NOTE: there is another equate called "CARTON", which can be perfectly modified on the above file, in order to specifiy the cart's "bank" #, but for now remains at the original value ($D500, being the "00" the actual/residing bank of ACE80XL within the FlashCart).

5. NOTE: there is another ACE80XL.EPR file (also attached here) that was originally "padded" by the author to 8,198 bytes (including header) which I modified with the exact same procedure as above, in order to bring it to 8,192 byte-count. This file was supposed to take into account later OSS Carts, which required this mapping, and can be used if the 4K-size is not workable.

Now, as for the rest of the steps, I am supposed to flash the smaller 4K-version (per author's decription) in the "upper half" of a given operating 8K bank, inside of the 8Mb FlashCart, which I am not remotely sure how to do, nor how to specify.

Let me know if this additional step is possible (or not).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:18 pm 

Have you checked my posts from page 1? I posted a working image of a 1Mb flash cart version of the file, programmed and then redumped via the USB programmer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:57 pm 

Stephen wrote:
Have you checked my posts from page 1? I posted a working image of a 1Mb flash cart version of the file, programmed and then redumped via the USB programmer.

THANKS, Stephen, for your follow-up.

Yes, I did check before your 1Mbit cart-dump, and tried to load it in Altirra, and IT DOES NOT work (with any of the cart. profiles selected, including the FlashCart 128K/1Mbit.

I will try to burn the .bin file on my 8Mbit cart, and see how it goes.

F.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:26 am 

Faicuai wrote:
Stephen wrote:

THANKS, Stephen, for your follow-up.

Yes, I did check before your 1Mbit cart-dump, and tried to load it in Altirra, and IT DOES NOT work (with any of the cart. profiles selected, including the FlashCart 128K/1Mbit.

I will try to burn the .bin file on my 8Mbit cart, and see how it goes.

F.

Well, as suggested by Stephen above, I burned the provided .BIN on page 1 and *it did not work*, once burned on the 8Mbit cart, and fired up on the Atari 800XL. I just get a black-screen and nothing else.

Any trouble-shooting comments/suggestions are more than welcome.

THX!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:28 pm 

thewhiz wrote:
Claus Buchholz, author of the ACE80 and ACE80-XL 80-column cartridges has posted all of the files necessary to make a cartridge, including his source files, docs, etc. These are posted at AtariAge at
http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.ph ... 9666&st=40

The only problem is the code is set up to put into an OSS "Black" bank-switching cartridge (or another work-alike). As designed, it loads its code into ram, then the cartridge turns itself off. Perhaps someone could adapt this to a 1 Mb cart? The actual code only requires 4KB

I have an original ACE80-XL cart, and I knew from the minute I first tried it, it is quite a bit faster than the usual 80-column software programs. For that reason, I think it is "special" and would be nice to provide a new flashcart "home" for it.

Anyone up for the challenge? (Way over my head...)

-Larry

FYI !! . The Flashcart is a pirating of the ACE80 cartridge software and anyone attempting to use, promote, or sell it is in violation of copyright laws. Amiable Computer Enhancements owns the copyrights and I am requesting that and all forums (starting with this one) remove these types of promotions from their pages or they run the risk of prosecution by not just Amiable but all companies still in business. VCC and I are trying to bring the ACE80 cartridges back to the Atari community now so please don't hinder us doing that. Thanks & Beware. The owners are watching!

moderator wrote:
There is nothing to download from this topic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:17 pm 

Go away gavin, acting like lance !! this was released years ago !!

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2