It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cart game compatibilty
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:24 pm 

I am thinking about picking up a couple of the flash carts but I was wondering what the percentage of compatibility is for cart games is?
Just a general percentage number would be cool.

Thanks,
Mitch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:55 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

For file games its very high, since most file games do not require DOS or special loaders. Most of the ones that initially didn't work have had patched versions posted. You can find an archive of them here, along with man 'fixed' versions.

http://ape.dyndns.org:8084/

Whole disk games are another matter. I'd say 50% without modification, but only single disk games. Games with multiple disk sides are a special case and have to be converted manually to run from cart.

Using Eric's MakeMenu software works best with whole disk games, since it will try to automatically enable any required patches and will also let you pack as many disk games onto a cart as will fit.

There are a lot of pre-loaded images in the 1mbit and 8mbit forums if you don't want to make your own images.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:57 am 

Thanks for the info Steve. Which group do the cartridge games fall into? I'm guessing the early ones would be more likely to work but how about the bankswitched 32/64/128K games?

Thanks,
Mitch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:52 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

You'll find all the cartridge games in the XEX/EXE/COM file section. The file versions are all cracked so they should run from cartridge fine.

Bank switched carts are a special case, but most of those are available as file versions too, in which case they should run fine.

BBSB is a good example. Its a pretty huge bank switched rom cart, but there is a good file version that runs on any 64k computer.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:18 pm 

Hmm, OK, I see that a lot of the 8/16k cart games are in there but I don't see very many of the 32/64/128K games. Is there some place else I should be looking?

Mitch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:51 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

You could try here:

ftp://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/

Also some of the super-cart games were converted by Fandal and posted to AtariAge recently:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.ph ... opic=92544

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.ph ... pic=111968

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.ph ... pic=112335

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.ph ... pic=114126

And some more:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.ph ... le+version

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:58 pm 

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Mitch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:26 pm 

Anyone seen conversions for Mean 18 or Midi Maze? All I have are the 256k versions.

Mitch

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:32 am 

Mitch wrote:
Anyone seen conversions for Mean 18 or Midi Maze? All I have are the 256k versions.

Hi Mitch,

I converted them myself from the SunMark's MegaCart format to XEGS format. Actually it is quite easy. Just put every odd 8KB block (except the last) in a new file and append the 2nd 8KB block to the end.

Every XEGS cart can be converted to a MegaCart cart of double size. MegaCart uses banks of 16KB mapped to $8000-$BFFFF while XEGS uses banks of 8KB mapped to $8000-9FFFF and the last bank is always mapped to $A000-$BFFF. So to convert an XEGS to MegaCart copy every 8KB XEGS bank to the first half of a MegaCart 16KB bank and put the last XEGS bank in the second half of every MegaCart 16KB bank.

Attached the XEGS versions of MidiMaze and Mean18.

Regards,

Robert

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:53 pm 

Cool, thanks for the info and the BINs. :)

I'm guessing these will not work on the flash cart though, correct?

Mitch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:45 am 

Mitch wrote:
Cool, thanks for the info and the BINs. :)

I'm guessing these will not work on the flash cart though, correct?

Mitch

You're welcome. And indeed, the AtariMax flashcard is not XEGS cart compatible. The flashcard uses 8KB banks mapped to $A000-$BFFF. It is thus very difficult to convert an XEGS cart to flashcard because it involves replacing XEGS bankswitch code with flashcard bankswitch code. That the banks are mapped to different addresses and the lack of the $8000-$9FFF cart space makes it difficult.

The help file of the Atari800Win emulator contains a section with a description of all supported cart formats and their working. In the index: Cartridge images (CAR, ROM, BIN)

Robert

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]