It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Maxflash with real cart images (not exe's)?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:03 pm 

Title says it all. The Maxflash toolchain doesn't seem to have any mechanism for loading actual ROM images from real carts, just cracked files. I'm having pretty mixed success with the quality of the exe files I can find (lots of them just plain fail on my 800), but have easy access to the original ROM files at sites like atarimania.com.

What am I missing? Surely this works, somehow...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:20 pm 

The MakeMenu program from ebiguy (search the forums here, you'll find it) allow some cartridge images to be used. Not all cartridge images are going to be able to be used due to different banking schemes (the larger cartridges will have trouble).

Post subject: Real Carts
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:03 pm 

I have SpartaDOS X 4.42 in a Maxflash cart so it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:51 am 

Shawn: makemenu is a front end for the existing toolchain, which I have working just fine and appears *not* to have an option for loading "bare" cartridge ROMs (I'm talking about plain 8k cartridges here, not bank switching ones). Am I missing something?

And bf2k+, my understanding is that your copy of SpartaDOS is a port, not an image of the original cartridge.

Post subject: SDX 4.42 cart
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:23 am 

AndyR wrote:
And bf2k+, my understanding is that your copy of SpartaDOS is a port, not an image of the original cartridge.

I don't know the answer to that. I'm not sure what you mean by a port.

It is whatever the current SDX development group is releasing. It comes as an ATR already built for flashing. You basically boot the ATR image and it burns the MaxFlash cart automagically. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:58 pm 

AndyR wrote:
Shawn: makemenu is a front end for the existing toolchain, which I have working just fine and appears *not* to have an option for loading "bare" cartridge ROMs (I'm talking about plain 8k cartridges here, not bank switching ones). Am I missing something?

The version I have allows you to add .rom files to the menu. When you right click on your cartridge, and select "add some files in <xxxx>", the drop down for file type includes *.rom.

Quote:

Maybe or maybe not a "port" in the normal sense of the word, but it's been specially built to deal with the bank-switching of the Atarimax cartridge. Most of the larger cartridges (128k XEGS cartridges for instance) have a different bank scheme, so the code needs to be changed for them to work with the Atarimax cartridges.

In the atari there are 2 memory areas for cartridges to be banked into: $8000-9FFF and $A000-BFFF, 8k each-using both of them allows a 16k cartridge to be banked into the memory address space. The Atarimax cartridge only uses the $A000 8k bank, where other types of cartridges use both the $8000 and the $A000 bank. As you can probably appreciate, changing existing code to take that into account would be very difficult.

Post subject: Making a maxflash image from SDX
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:18 am 

Shawn Jefferson wrote:
Maybe or maybe not a "port" in the normal sense of the word, but it's been specially built to deal with the bank-switching of the Atarimax cartridge. Most of the larger cartridges (128k XEGS cartridges for instance) have a different bank scheme, so the code needs to be changed for them to work with the Atarimax cartridges.

Assuming I have the correct ROM image, how would I make this into an ATR for flashing the MaxFlash? Makemenu wants to put a menu on the cart...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]