It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Dumping carts with Maxflash
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:47 pm 

I was wondering how well the compatibilty is for dumping carts? I have around 90 A8 carts and I thought I'd try dumping them but the manual was somewhat vague about it. I figure the non-bankswitched carts shouldn't be a problem but some of the oddball ones might.
Are there any formats that are known to not work?

Thanks,
Mitch

Post subject: Re: Dumping carts with Maxflash
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:21 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Hi Mitch,

Except for Bounty Bob Strikes Back, I believe all the common banked and unbanked cartridge formats you might come across should be listed on the Dump menu. BBSB should dump fine too, but I forgot to add it and haven't had time to revisit it yet.

Steve

Mitch wrote:
I was wondering how well the compatibilty is for dumping carts? I have around 90 A8 carts and I thought I'd try dumping them but the manual was somewhat vague about it. I figure the non-bankswitched carts shouldn't be a problem but some of the oddball ones might.
Are there any formats that are known to not work?

Thanks,
Mitch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:27 pm 

Is there a reason why I should be getting a large amount of bad dumps? I think about 25% of my dumps are either all FF or have a partially corrupted file. :(

Mitch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Sounds like the carts are not making good contact. Try pulling the cart back a little inside the connector after you insert it. The USB programmer does not have the plastic frame that stops the cartridge from being inserted too far like a real Atari computer does, so its possible to push the pads on many carts past the point where they are making good contact.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:56 pm 

OK, I'll give it a try.

Mitch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:57 pm 

OK, that helped a bit, cleaning the cart contacts helped as well on a few stubborn ones. :wink:

Next question, I'm trying to dump a right slot cart (Monkey Wrench) and it doesn't want to give me anything but FFs. I've cleaned it multiple times but still no go. The cart worked the last time I had my 800 out. :?
Any ideas?

Mitch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:45 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

If you dump it as a right cartridge and a left cartridge, does it produce the same empty file with all 0xff?

I think a 'right cartridge' should have 8k of data in the 8000-9FFF range if you dumped it as a 16k 'left cartridge'. I don't have a Monkey Wrench cart here to test it with though.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:56 pm 

I didn't think about trying it as a left cartridge. :oops:
I just dumped it as a left cart and got 4K of blank space and 4K of data. Dumped as a 16K cart and it has 12K of blank space and 4K of data. It seems like dumping it as left cartridge was the correct option.
It just seems weird to be dumping a right cartridge as a left one. Oh well, at least I've got a clean dump now. :)

Mitch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:44 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Its a bug in the programmer firmware. I'll try to fix it and upload an update soon. Until then if you need to dump a right cartridge just dump it as 8k left cartridge and the dump should be fine.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:33 pm 

Here's a link to my A8 cart dumps in case anyone is interested in them. A few unusually ones in there. http://www.atari7800.org/a8/A8%20cart%20dumps.zip

Mitch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:40 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Hey thanks, its nice to have some of these. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:19 pm 

I'm trying to make images from my small collection of cartridges.

I tried dumping a few last night but when opened in notepad, all I got was the same character repeated over. The cart images crashed in an emulator.

I tried the suggestion of pulling the cart back slightly in the connector and it seems to work. I got a dump of Activision's River Raid which loads into the emulator, at least as far as the title screen.

However I've no idea if I'm doing things correctly.

Should the Maxflash Cartridge studio recognise the cartridge when inserted? Is there an option to backup a known/listed cartridge or do I need to know the size of the cartridge ROM in "k" to begin with?

I dumped River Raid using the 8k/left cart option but I just took a stab and guessed at this. How will I know if a cart is 8k, 16k or bank-switched, etc.?

Am I missing something obvious or is the dumping operation a matter of trial and error? From previous posts in this thread, it sounds like the dump menu would list known cartridges and set the correct parameters to ensure the cartridge is dumped completely.

Regards
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:20 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Hi Mark,

When you insert the cartridge, it should light up the 'LEFT' or 'RIGHT' indicators on the Maxflash Studio status panel if it is an 8k profile cartridge, or both if it is a 16k profile cartridge.

For larger bank-switched cartridges, you just have to go with whats already known about the cart, since except when accessed at special locations which are different for each type of cart, they typically appear as normal 8k or 16k carts.

You can also try looking up the cartridge type here:

http://www.atarimax.com/jindroush.atari ... artdp.html

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:28 pm 

classics wrote:
When you insert the cartridge, it should light up the 'LEFT' or 'RIGHT' indicators on the Maxflash Studio status panel if it is an 8k profile cartridge, or both if it is a 16k profile cartridge.
Ah. I had guessed this was to indicate whether the cartridge was an Atari 800 LEFT or RIGHT slot cartridge. I did wonder but had never noticed both being lit at the same time.

From the earlier post, I thought perhaps the Studio software would read a unique checksum and set the appropriate settings or even list the inserted cartridge as a known original.

I'll go back and play with a few more cartridges to see if I can get both indicators to light.

Is this feature documented anywhere?

Regards
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:15 pm 

Make sure your cart contacts are clean as well. I had a few that wouldn't dump properly due to tarnished edge connectors on the cart.

Mitch

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next