It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Possibly a stupid question...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:23 am 

Is it possible to save games with a flashcart at all? I am trying to play Ultima I and have the .atr images for side 1 (program) and side 2 (character). I load up the game, use the usual routine to get to side 2 (SHIFT-CTRL-2) and then create a character. After 'writing' I switch back to side 1 (program) and it goes to main menu. Attempting to use 'continue' (which I'm not even sure I would have to do anyway) doesn't take me to any file at all. I am attempting to override this with an actual disk to write to, but I'm having separate disk issues that I'm working on elsewhere.

Is it possible to save a game on a flashcart, or is it something that is implemented in the code specific to the .atr files, meaning these files don't have them or something? Do I have to use a disk drive at all or can I save to the flashcart?

Post subject: Re: Possibly a stupid question...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:14 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

The flash carts don't support random read/write access, memory has to be erased in large blocks, so games that save data to disk have to be specially modified or they will see the disks as read-only.

I did an Ultima IV conversion to flash cart and an Ultima III flash cart image is available as well, in the 8mbit cartridge forums. The other ones, as far as I know, have not yet been modified to save to flash cartridge.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:00 pm 

Ultima II has been done as well. There is also a version of Temple of Apshai Trilogy that will save to flash cart.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at Ultima I and creating a version that writes to flashcart. Can you post the ATR files that you are using?

Thanks,
Shawn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:58 pm 

Shawn Jefferson wrote:
Ultima II has been done as well. There is also a version of Temple of Apshai Trilogy that will save to flash cart.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at Ultima I and creating a version that writes to flashcart. Can you post the ATR files that you are using?

Thanks,
Shawn

Look at this site for Ultima I --- and get the V2 versions of program and player..

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.pht ... ima#Ultima

These are the ones known to be xe/xl compatible.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:00 pm 

The v2 versions I downloaded do not work in the emulator with the XL OS, but do work with OSB.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:39 pm 

roye wrote:
Shawn Jefferson wrote:

Thanks,
Shawn

Look at this site for Ultima I --- and get the V2 versions of program and player..

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.pht ... ima#Ultima

These are the ones known to be xe/xl compatible.

They work but you can't save. Going to the character screen only pops you back to the main menu without actually doing anything. Those are the ATRs I am using BTW.

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]