It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: 32 in 1 OS 800xl garbled video display
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:55 am 

Hi,

I think I need some help here. I recently upgraded my Atari 800XL with the Wizztronic 256k upgrade. Prior to that I had booted the machine to verify that it was working. Seemed to be. Then I did the upgrade. Again I verified that the machine booted. Everything seemed to be okay.

Then this morning I installed the 32 in 1 OS upgrade. When I went to boot the machine it seemed a bit flaky, random letters, numbers and symbols started appearing. After turning it off and then back on with the select button down as instructed to bring up the 32 in 1 OS menu it seemed to boot okay. I selected one of the options, I think it was the Omnimon xl. After about 30 seconds the display began to garble. I shut it down and waited for about 2 minutes then booted back up. This time after only a about 10 seconds the menu display garbled.

Okay says I, go ahead and check your solder points. I found one on the R40 that was not soldered well, no bridging, in fact not enough solder. Got in a hurry I guess. So I fixed that. No change. Display still garbled after only 10-20 seconds.

So says I, remove the 32 in 1 OS board and put back the original OS chip. I left the jumper wires soldered, just unplugged from the board. Booted the machine and it came up to the Basic "ready" prompt nice and pretty as you please. Then I waited. And waited. Then after about a minute maybe two the screen garbled again. :cry:

Now I'm not saying anything is wrong with the 32 in 1 os board, but I didn't notice the garbled display before. What else could cause this type of display problem? How could soldering three wires to the ends of those three resistors cause this?

Post subject: Re: 32 in 1 OS 800xl garbled video display
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:40 pm 

It could be bad RAM maybe...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:05 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

It could also be a bad connection, possibly at the OS ROM socket. Does the computer go right back to the READY prompt if you power cycle it?

Soldering on those points could not cause any damage unless you had the power supply/tv cables/external devices attached while soldering the unit. In that case it is very easy to damage a component from static discharge, but the direct heat on those locations is not a problem.

If the computer does go back to the READY prompt each time you power cycle it, check for loose connections by wiggling the wire harness while the ready prompt is displayed. You can also try applying a little finger pressure on the module. If either causes the display to garble you are getting close to finding the problem.

Did you have any previous expansion boards installed in the OS rom socket? If square header pins or wire wrap pins were previously inserted into the socket, the socket will be damaged and have poor connections with the interconnect pins on the module.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:43 pm 

I'll check the ram upgrade again. Someone else in the AtariAge forum is also indicating could be ram issues.

Definitely did not have power to the machine when I was soldering. First thing I learned in Navy solder training. :lol:

It reset as normal w/o the 32 in 1 os board, but was still giving garbled screen after a couple minutes of display. I double checked the original OS chip fit in the socket when I rolled the upgrade back. It was a good fit. So I don't think it is a socket issue. Like I said I don't think it is 32 in 1 os upgrade. Just happened about the same time I think. :(

Could it be a power issue? Not enough? But wouldn't the display just go dark? It's only got the ram upgrade in it right now. No 32 in 1 board. Those 256k ram chips shouldn't be drawing that much power.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:57 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

If it is ram the screen might go dark because ANTIC cannot read the display list from RAM. If you have another XL swapping the 64k DRAM chips from that unit would be the easiest way to check.

If it were power I would imagine the problem would not go away from just resetting the computer. Also if measure around 5v steady from the power supply then it is probably OK.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:04 pm 

Found problem :lol: It was a bad keyboard. Was working with a couple different 800xls trying to ts and mixed up keyboard assemblies. Problem went away. 32 os in 1 mod is rock solid now. :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]