It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Soft OS switcher for 32in1 OS
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:34 am 

First off - big thanks to Steve (classics) for providing example code for communicating with the 32in1 OS PIC.

I've started work on a disk-loadable OS switcher for use with the AtariMax 32in1 OS.
Normally, you have to power your machine off/on and hold Select to be able to choose another OS, but this utility allows choosing another without having to do that.

Attachment:
OSSw3.zip

Attachment:
OS Selector 1.jpg

* Also, I've created a "Warmstart" option so that you don't lose your program, and an option to reboot the disk without clearing the current RAM contents. Note that changing OS version on the fly could cause software instability, so use with caution.

** Additionally, the utility allows switching Basic off or on for non-coldstart operations, and also allows you to reset the default banking condition of an inserted AtariMax Flashcart.

SPECIAL NOTE: * Warmstart and reboot without RAM-Clear still work-in-progress.
** Basic switching and Flashcart features not yet implemented.

The program currently loads around $9400-$9AFF so anything you have there will be wiped.

Also note that standard OS equipped machines can use the features of this utility, except of course for the changing OS part.

Future plans:
. make "Lite" versions which will switch to a specific OS image with no other options.
. create a configuration utility which lets you customise the menu to match what your 32in1 has - for those people who have created customised 32in1s or running older versions with different entries.

I've also posted this at AtariAge... I'll probably do more frequent updates there, and just post any major landmark releases of the utility here.

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Post subject: Re: Soft OS switcher for 32in1 OS
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:17 pm 

Now this is nice to see... Thanks for putting in the effort!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]