It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: flying in the dark
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:31 am 

I just bought the APE SIO2PC USB interface and APE v3.0.11 (which I believe is the latest version), and I am trying to find out if there are any instructions out there somewhere. The only documentation I've been able to come across is for v1.17, which is completely out dated. I've e-mailed the author but have not received any response.
I finally did get everything up and running (after a trying experience with the drivers), and I figured out how to boot my 800XL from APE. I made a disk image of one of my old floppy disks with ProSystem, but I cannot find, let alone load it with APE.
I'm also trying to find a way to open some of my old games/programs using Windows, once they are converted to disk images.
I'm very new to this old school to new school thing, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Added note: Does ProSystem work with the APE SIO2PC USB interface? The only way I can get it to work is to launch it from APE. When I try to launch from the ProSystem icon I get the message "cannot connect to COM1. check settings, even though it's already configured to COM1.

I also am having problems creating a blank disk image with APE. After selecting the proper drive (1050, enhanced density...etc) and clicking "create", the create new image screen pops up and I get stonewalled. There doesn't appear to be any way to input a filename or any way to proceed. Again, I am working off some instructions I found that are at least 7 years old, and from a much older version of APE....I believe it's APE 98.

More issues :cry: I have 4 1050 disk drives and now I can't get the interface to work properly unless I turn off the first one in the chain. I thought it might be a bad sio cable or even a bad drive, so I eliminated the drive and switched cable....but no go! everytime I try to boot from APE while the first drive is on I get boot errors. Also, ProSystem will no longer work, even if I launch from APE....same error ~~ can't connect to COM1....check settings. This is beginning to get rather frustrating, especially with no product support available :(

Post subject: Re: flying in the dark
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:41 pm 

the ape rs232 sio interface replaces the disk drives..... if you load an image into ape slot D1: then a real drive attached as D1: must be turned off... ape is emulating the drive and supplies the data to the atari

now if you wish to use the pro system to create a real Atari disk for use in a real drive. you need to put a blank disk in the real drive and turn it on.... now the prosystem can scan for the drive... and then you can create real disks from atr or pro images

usb version is self powered no need to have atari on....
rs232 is sio powered so turn on the atari let it time out... then turn on your drives you can then have a prosystem disk making party

Don't forget empty the ape slots and to shut down or put ape to sleep when booting from real drives with real disks.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]