It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: SIO2PC-USB : Which version and works with XF551?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:10 pm 

I have an unmodified 130XE computer connected to a XF551 drive and I have some questions on adding a SIO2PC-USB to this.

1a) Does the SIO2PC-USB work with a real drive like the XF551? I want to assume "yes" but would like to verify with users this is the case. In my mind I picture the XF551 drive as D1 and the SIO2PC-USB as D2. The assignments ought to be reversible so the XF551 drive can be D2 and the SIO2PC-USB becomes D1.

1b) Along 1a above, are there any "gotcha" tips and tricks to be aware of? Maybe there is a certain order of powering up devices or connecting them?

2) Does the SIO2PC-USB work when there are other peripherals in the chain? For example, could I have a XF551 drive, a 1027 printer, and a SIO2PC-USB on the end of the chain?

3) I see there is a dual SIO port version of the SIO2PC-USB device. Does this version have any advantage over the single SIO port version? I understand the dual version may allow it to be in the middle of a SIO chain whereas the single port version must be at the end of the chain.

4) What have users done about installing their SIO2PC-USB devices in a case? I see the single SIO port version has some mounting holes around the SIO connection. Are there any mounting holes in the dual SIO port version? Perhaps the mounting holes are hidden under the connectors.

Atarimax's solution here is on the premium side of the scale as reflected by the price. I'm OK with that as long as Atarimax provides a complete turn-key solution that saves me from cutting cables and hacking together a custom solution with my soldering iron and heat-shrink tubing. My expectation is I am up and running within 30 minutes of opening the package.

Your insights would be greatly appreciated! :)

-=- Boris

Post subject: Re: SIO2PC-USB : Which version and works with XF551?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:27 am 

Hi Boris,
1a Yes.
1b No idea, installation of the device driver before connecting it I guess.
2 Yes
3 What you say, dual can be chained.
4 Mine has no holes. Also I have mine lying around, not cased. Works just as fine.
Last, about 30 min installation, that is up to yourself, no idea if you have experience with setting up the atarimax.
But in principle, its plug-and-play, the only thing you need to do is install drivers and setting up APE.
Grtz,
Sijmen.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:49 pm 

Thanks for your feedback, mr-atari! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:37 am 

I want to follow up on my own message here.

I ordered a SIO2Pc-USB kit and it works brilliantly! It works perfectly with my XF551 drive too. I can have both drive operating together as D1 and D2 and I can transfer ATR files to the drive.

The software runs fine on both my Windows 10 desktop and a freshly acquired Windows 7 Starter netbook.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]