It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Which small laptop for Atari 800 games storage and loading?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:58 pm 

About 8 years ago I purchased a rverter cable that allowed me to hook my 800 to a PC serial port. It worked great but I've misplaced the cable and also most PCs don't have com ports anymore.

I have a few questions.

1. Will a standard serial/usb converter cable work with my misplaced cable?
2. I'm thinking of getting a USB version of it off this site. I want to put all my Atari 800 game images on a laptop. Will any laptop work? I mean if I find a super old laptop with 512MB win2000 will that suffice?

I purchased a 8 bit flash cart from here to but I could never get a game called M.U.L.E. to load from it. Anyone have luck getting mule to run off a cart?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Which small laptop for Atari 800 games storage and loadi
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:56 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

An R-verter cable will not work at all, and RS232->USB converters will not work with APE for the most part. Even if it works people only end up frustrated because it works one second, then not the next, or not at the next reboot, etc.

The USB version of the interface will work with any version of Windows with USB support, all the way back to Window 95 OEM and is fully supported. The CPU speed does not matter, APE will work fine.

You should be able to get MULE to run on your flash cartridge. Do you have a copy of the workbook you are using?

Steve

Post subject: Re: Which small laptop for Atari 800 games storage and loadi
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:14 am 

Have you thought about maybe building an SIO2PC cable?
Instructions for building one can be found in the APE documentation.
It connects from the laptop's serial port to the Atari's I/O port and one can use either APE or ASPEQT on the laptop to set it up.
The interface software also allows making of blank drive images that one uses for transferring files from the Atari to the PC or doing a disk copy to the newly created blank drive image.
I know that is not USB, but it works.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]