It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: MyIDE and Turbo Freezer integration (just an idea)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:11 am 

One of the features I like about MyIDE is the image space where you can put existing .atr files and boot from it.
So even non-dos (non .xex files) can be started from MyIDE.

But someone mentioned that the short-cut keys of the MyIDE OS can be intrusive. Then I thought, all that functionality like selecting which image to mount, FDISK, etc, can be done from within a freezer just like the 1541-Ultimate does for the C64. Then you don't need all those keyboard combinations, just press the red button and have everything in an user friendly menu.

Also, the Turbo Freezer can map in an alternative OS (currently the 800 OS), so the MyIDE OS could possibly also be mapped in as internal OS without soldering a new ROM chip inside the Atari. Or possible implement it as proper PBI device driver rom.
But why stop there, the Turbo Freezer could even include the MyIDE interface and a CF slot so it would be an all-in-one plug 'n' play solution.

Sorry for my wild ideas. I read Hias is working on a new revision of the Turbo Freezer and it would be awesome if it had an integrated IDE interface. I don't expect this to happen but you can always dream :D

Robert

Post subject: Re: MyIDE and Turbo Freezer integration (just an idea)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:31 am 

Hi Robert!

rdemming wrote:
But someone mentioned that the short-cut keys of the MyIDE OS can be intrusive. Then I thought, all that functionality like selecting which image to mount, FDISK, etc, can be done from within a freezer just like the 1541-Ultimate does for the C64. Then you don't need all those keyboard combinations, just press the red button and have everything in an user friendly menu.

Yes, this would be possible. The TurboFreezer source is available, so feel free to start coding! (Sorry, I don't have the time to do it myself, I'm currently swamped with work and Atari projects...)

Quote:
Also, the Turbo Freezer can map in an alternative OS (currently the 800 OS), so the MyIDE OS could possibly also be mapped in as internal OS without soldering a new ROM chip inside the Atari. Or possible implement it as proper PBI device driver rom.
But why stop there, the Turbo Freezer could even include the MyIDE interface and a CF slot so it would be an all-in-one plug 'n' play solution.

We already thought about this, using the new hardware as a development platform for a new PBI device. But since candle announced the SpeedDrive some time ago and now the IDE plus 2.0 will shortly be available we dropped this idea - yet another harddrive interface doesn't make too much sense. The hardware part wouldn't be too complicated, but writing all the software/firmware is a lot of work.

so long,

Hias

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:59 am 

Hi Hias,

Thanks for your answer.
I understand time is limited and I was not excepting this to happen. But I think the idea was good :mrgreen:
My 6502 is a bit rusty but when I find myself with a lot of time I would like to delve into the TF2005 source code.

You are right that there are other interfaces now so another one could be overkill. Unfortunately those can't be used in combination with the freezer unless there will be a possibility to connect both the freezer and another PBI interface at the same time. So I think I stick with an internal MyIDE for now.

Can you tell more about the difference between the Turbo Freezer 2005 and 2011? I'm hoping for XEGS cart emulation :wink:
Will the XL version be flat on the table? I have an original Turbo Freezer XL from Bernhard Engl but that one is with a 90 degree angle connector. When pressing the button, the PCB tilts a little and that often makes the Freezer crash. If it would be flat on the table, the PCB would be more stable attached to the PBI bus avoiding this problem.

Anyway, I will definitely buy one for my XL when it becomes available. I really like the TF2005 for my XE.

Thanks and regards,

Robert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:49 am 

Hi Robert!

rdemming wrote:
You are right that there are other interfaces now so another one could be overkill. Unfortunately those can't be used in combination with the freezer unless there will be a possibility to connect both the freezer and another PBI interface at the same time. So I think I stick with an internal MyIDE for now.

Can you tell more about the difference between the Turbo Freezer 2005 and 2011? I'm hoping for XEGS cart emulation :wink:
Will the XL version be flat on the table? I have an original Turbo Freezer XL from Bernhard Engl but that one is with a 90 degree angle connector. When pressing the button, the PCB tilts a little and that often makes the Freezer crash. If it would be flat on the table, the PCB would be more stable attached to the PBI bus avoiding this problem.

The new Freezer will come with a PBI-passthrough connector, a case and supporting "feet" at the bottom. It's a little bit larger and thicker than the old XL Freezer: The case is approx. 1cm higher than the XL/XE case and the config switches are reachable from the front. The Freezer is a stack of 2 PCBs, "standing" on another adapter PCB (with either XL or XE connectors) - this means we don't have to manufacture 2 different versions and it's quite easy to convert an XL Freezer into an XE Freezer (or the other way round).

As for the CartEmu: (Int-)SDX with passthrough function and (S)XEGS, MegaCart and Atarimax compatibility is planned, but ATM I can't tell if I'm able to cram all of the logic into the PLD. Ah, yes, and an I2C bus with RTC (DS1312) is also in the queue.

so long,

Hias

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:45 pm 

Wow - more new toys coming out than I can find time to use! Doesn't mean I am not buying most of them :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]