It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:51 am

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: MyIDE Internal -ROM with Ultimate 1MB
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:34 pm 

Hi Guys,

Do you think this would work:

1200XL with both ROM sockets wired in parallel.

Ultimate 1MB in one ROM socket

MyIDE Internal in other socket (ROM chip removed)

Do you guys think that it would work?

That is what I would like to do.

-K

Post subject: Re: MyIDE Internal -ROM with Ultimate 1MB
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:52 am 

I'm not into 1200XL hardware, perhaps you can ask Marius?

General:
You need to avoid memory-conflicts between the 2 hardware, then it should work.
MyIDE uses $D1xx.
The OS on the internal MyIDE is in conflict with the 1Mb.

[edit, typo removed]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:58 am 

I am going to remove the internal MyIDE OS chip.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:15 pm 

It might work if you flash the MyIDE Internal OS in one of the 4 'ultimate1mb' os-slots. I guess that flashing the MyIDE Internal won't work anymore then.

I guess Mr. Atari made a small typing-mistake; Internal MyIDE is using $D1xx (not $D51xx) ... I am not sure whether $D1xx range is used by ultimate1MB upgrade or not.

I am almost sure you should not use another OS rom next to your Ultimate 1MB installation; but why not simply try?

@5200: Your frustration is known now, please take my friendly advice and don't go this path. People here on the forum (Mr. Atari, others, and myself too) are really trying to help others. I do not want to get demotivated by those comments, which are absolutely oftopic in this case.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:17 pm 

What I meant to say is:

1. Flash the MyBIOS Internal OS rom in the Ultimate 1MB (you have 4 slots to use there!)
2. Insert the MyIDE internal MyIDE in the 1200XL
3. Do not use the MyIDE internal BIOS (can you remove that IC? is there another way of de-activating that OS?)
4. Try it out.

Big chance it will work.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:35 pm 

Thanks for the info. Now, I need to start saving money for the U1M. I already have the internal MyIDE.
This is the best solution I can think of to keep everything internal in the 1200XL, while leaving the cart slot open.
I am using MyIDE cart with SDX now, and it works great. It uses all the space on the SSD flash module because SDX uses 512 byte sectors.

If anyone else tries this, please let me know.

-Kyle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:40 pm 

If you move to Ultimate 1MB, you will have to use the SDX inside the U1MB. You can not use any other SDX installations when U1MB is installed.

I'm not so fond of U1MB anymore. I have been using it a while, but I have downgraded all my Atari's back to stock. The only memory expansion i use is the 512KB Sram upgrade from Hiassoft, which is excellent. But most of my atari's are 100% original now. Works great with MyIDE, MyIDE ][, IDE+ 2.0, BlackBox, and all other known add-ons for atari 8bit.

If you really want the extra memory, and you are happy with your current installation, I would seriously consider another memory upgrade.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:30 pm 

Hi Marius,

What exactly don't you like about the U1MB? Is it compatibility problems? I use SDX for most everything I do. I want the internal SDX so it keeps the cart slot open. If I want to disable it, cold /n should work fine. I have no reason to use the MyIDE OS, because I only need MyIDE with SDX. If I want to access disk images or real disks, I use APE (running in my modified Corvus OmniDrive), or an Indus GT.

I like the fact that the U1MB has a clock. That way the time is right if I am not connected to the APE box.

Please provide as much info as you can about the U1MB. Is there anything better that has the same functionality?

Thanks,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:27 pm 

I still like the upgrade, but it is not compatible with The BlackBox and I also had some other issues with it. At a certain moment I decided that I prefer original atari equipment above upgraded machines. I concentrate on external solutions these days. That is (much) cooler and versatile.

The BlackBox is still another very nice harddisk (and more) interface, which I really like to use. That is not (very) possible with Ultimate 1MB.

Ultimate1MB is great... but it should not carry the 'Ultimate' part in the name.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:12 pm 

Thanks Marius for the info. Would you sell me one of your removed U1MB's, or should I buy a new one?

-K

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:16 am 

You'd better buy new. I can not provide warranty, and support... and I might change my mind in the future. So I'd better keep my stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:51 am 

I hate to part with any Atari stuff too. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:35 am 

kyle22 wrote:
Please provide as much info as you can about the U1MB. Is there anything better that has the same functionality?

To clarify: no there isn't. The reason the upgrade was christened "Ultimate" is because no other RAM upgraded carries the same level of functionality. If someone were to buy it and then realize they didn't require internal SDX, for example... that's hardly the Ultimate 1MB's fault. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:48 am 

Thanks, Jon.

Back to my original question: Do you think I could install both MyIDE internal and U1MB?

I think it could work. I am hesitant to spend the money, though...

That would be the perfect solution for 1200XLs w/o a PBI port.

-K

P.S. Also if it would be possible to include OSS cart bank switch logic, and map ROM space accordingly... Just an idea.

BTW, Thanx for the LW updates :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:18 am 

Hi Kyle

I'm honestly not sure if the two could co-exist, but I suppose it's doable, providing there are no hardware register clashes. It's unfortunate that the PBI functionality of the U1MB couldn't be used, then you'd have a simulated internal PBI hard disk which completely adheres to the original PBI spec. Unfortunately this wasn't possible with external MyIDE and I guess it's not possible with the internal version either, since the MyIDE registers clash with the U1MB's PBI RAM.

Anyway: I suppose the intention would be to put the MyIDE OS in one of the U1MB OS slots. I suppose someone just has to try it and see if it works. My personal 1200XL solution was to fit an IDEa interface (with my custom written APT PBI ROM) inside the machine (as well as fitting a PBI port, as it happens). This can work alongside U1MB/SIDE2 to give the best of both worlds. I'd really like to see a more up to date internal HDD solution which follows PBI protocols, though.

Maybe ask Candle about the ideas you've suggested?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next