It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:08 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: MyIDE -II
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:41 am 

What exactly is the MyIDE-II? Does it replace the SIO2pc interface, or is it an interface that works with cartridges instead if disks? :?

Post subject: Re: MyIDE -II
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:41 am 

The MyIDE-II is a cartridge that fits into the cartridge slot on your Atari 8 bit computer. On the top of the cartridge is a slot that accepts the SD Card memory card (basically it is a portable hard drive), the type that is used in cameras, printers, and computers that have a card slot. The SD cards are 1 gig or bigger; you can probably put every Atari 8 bit program ever made on a one gig card/drive.

It doesn't replace your SIO2PC interface. The SIO2PC interface allows the Atari to access another computer and share the other's resources via a cable connection. MyIDE-II just shares a SD card. The 'modern' computer to download 8 bit software off the internet, unzip it, and then save the software on the SD card which can be used in the MyIDE cartridge in the Atari. Big advantage of the MyIDE is that you don't have to be physically wired to the other computer so your Atari is still a stand alone operation.

I just got my MyIDE-II about three days ago and have been experimenting with it. Twenty years ago I was pretty good with the Atari 8 bit computers. Too bad I've forgotten most of that knowledge but, it is slowly coming back.

I think that most people would be best served if the cartridge came with the SD card all setup and ready to go. I bought a SD card from AtariMax and it came all setup and ready to go, thank God. The instruction page basically says to look at these forums for instructions. What happens in twenty years when this forum is gone (will anyone care in twenty yrs?) and there are no written instructions in an old box full of old computer crap? Guess I'll write down my own simple instructions to throw in that ole box; when I understand the process better.

So far most ROM copies have been working off the cartridge. Only about a third of the atr disk images seem to work. I haven't yet figured out how to get games with multiple disk to load in the second disk, if it is even possible. Only about half of the atr files that are just single disk seem to work. Guess this is no replacement for the floppy drive yet.

Post subject: Re: MyIDE -II
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:29 am 

Quote:
So far most ROM copies have been working off the cartridge. Only about a third of the atr disk images seem to work. I haven't yet figured out how to get games with multiple disk to load in the second disk, if it is even possible. Only about half of the atr files that are just single disk seem to work. Guess this is no replacement for the floppy drive yet.

>This is for advanced users:
Setup a MyBIOS partition and copy the ATR's in sequence to IMAGE-space.
When your current card has no MyBIOS partition, take a new card, since re-partitioning will wipe the current card....
Use the PC-tool to copy ATR's to IMAGE-space.
Now bootup in MyBIOS and use START to load a disk from IMAGE-space.
Select the first disk and boot it.
Now when you need to switch to disk 2, press SHIFT+CONTROL+2, then continue with the instructions on screen.

Cheers,
Sijmen.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]