It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: What kind of drive enclosure?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:57 pm 

I've seen some nice USB external drive cases, but most don't look like
they would be easy to adapt for use as an external IDE drive enclosure.

So, what kind of drive enclosure are you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:58 pm 

I've got an old Macintosh external hard drive and cd-rom drive enclosure, with its own power supply... I just took out the SCSI connectors and ran the IDE cable out the back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:11 pm 

Thanks Shawn. I have an old full-height 5.25" tape drive enclosure and power supply, but I was going to need to drill a set of mounting holes for my 3.5" hard drive.

Ultimately, I decided the other case was just way too big, so ordered this one: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SLIM-USB20-35
It arrived today and I think it's going to work out fine, although I'm probably going to have to make a small modification to be able to run an IDE cable to the outside. But the price was right. :-)

I'd still like to hear what other people are using for a drive enclosure.

Post subject: What kind of drive enclosure?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:12 am 

> I'd still like to hear what other people are using for a drive enclosure. <

It's been awhile since your post, but I haven't read here in as long.
I started out using 3.5" drives. For the 3.5, I used a regular aluminum USB box which has an external switching PS. I did have to file out a very small groove at the top of the plastic rear cover for the IDE cable from the cart. Worked great. I'm also pretty sure that I did use a laptop drive with this interface, also with a USB enclosure. For this, I used one of the USB cases that has a plastic (front and) rear cover, removing the rear cover. I "anchor" the drive in the case with a couple of small strips of foam mounting tape, and just leave the rear cover off. Of course, you need a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter, and these include the power connector. Both size USB cases are available on ebay -- cheap.
For the laptop power, I use a small, regulated +5VDC switcher. Takes very little to power these drives. My recommendation would be not to power the computer + laptop drive from any stock Atari XL/XE PS, especially if you have any upgraded memory, etc. -Larry

Post subject: What I'm using
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:34 pm 

I used a old external Hayes modem case. It is white like the Atari and I used a old laptop power supply to power both the computer and the drive.

I'm of course using a laptop hard drive with the adapter.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]