It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:36 pm

Page 1 of 7 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Menu Loader for use with MyIDE
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:50 pm 

Greetings,

I'm looking for a program similar to the APE loader for use with MyIDE Internal version. I would like to get all of my programs into the MyIDE drive and then be able to launch them without navigating through directories and typing the filename.

Can anyone advise of a menu loader system that works with subdirectories and large drives?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:16 am 

I did find one simple yet effective file browser/loader called Fileselector:

http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/fileselector/

This one works fine with MyDOS directories, MyIDE, and can load binaries and apparently view text files too. Also, can be navigated via keyboard or Joystick!

Anything else worth looking at?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:32 pm 

Anyone have this one?

Fenders 3-sector Boot Program

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:13 am 

This looks great, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:48 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

MyPicoDOS looks nice, I'll give it a try with my myIDE setup as well.

It could probably be incorporated right onto the menu portion of the flash cartridge for easy loading since its so small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:46 am 

Crash wrote:
Anyone have this one?

Fenders 3-sector Boot Program

Thanks!

I am pretty sure I have Fenders around here somewhere - where is the real question. Do you still want it? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:36 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Making the Picodos disk suceeds, but I booting it just freezes up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:50 pm 

I've tried a few things with MyPDos and MyIDE, and from what I can tell they are not compatible. I made a MyPDos boot disk image and put it in APE as D2, put a MyIDE Boot disk image as D1, and set the MyIDE option byte to boot from disk 2. When the system boots, I get MyPDos, but...

When using the regular version:
-It can read the MyIDE directory, but hangs if I try to launch anything.
-Seems to work fine with APE drives

When using the High Speed version:
-Cannot read the MyIDE directory (says Empty Directory)
-Works at High Speed with APE Drives
-Does not read Happy drive at High Speed

At present, it MyPDos seems useful for APE only users.

I would like to see this program re-written to function as an autorun.sys or autorun.ar0 - the boot sector thing isn't something I want to risk with a hard disk. Also, making this compatible with MyIDE is a necessity for me.

Fortunately the author has made all of the code and information available, so perhaps someone out there has the knowledge to tackle this one.

Perhaps we can bribe the author by buying him a MyIDE, and get him to update the program ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:35 pm 

bf2k+ wrote:
I am pretty sure I have Fenders around here somewhere - where is the real question. Do you still want it? :?:

Sure, I wouldn't mind having an ATR of the program used to create Fenders disks. Thanks!

I do have a few menu programs, most which are not suitable for hard disk use, but work nicely on floppies. The coolest one that I have puts up a huge Rainbow Fuji logo above the menu ;) But it only works on the 800 :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:16 pm 

Crash wrote:
bf2k+ wrote:

Sure, I wouldn't mind having an ATR of the program used to create Fenders disks. Thanks!

I do have a few menu programs, most which are not suitable for hard disk use, but work nicely on floppies. The coolest one that I have puts up a huge Rainbow Fuji logo above the menu ;) But it only works on the 800 :/

I remember that Rainbow FUJI menu - it was beautiful! It was an Autorun.Sys that required DOS I believe.

I searched for the Fenders builder for a while tonight and was unable to find it. I did find the old "QuikLoader" menu builder, but IIRC, that one would not load some stuff. I'll upload it if you like. I still have 2 HUGE boxes of disks (several hundred I'm sure) that I will try to go thru this week.

I also have Keith Ledbetter's MakeBoot menu that was pretty nice but it also would not load everything.

I could send you an ATR with the Fender's menu on it if you want.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:08 am 

Greetings,

I got the Fenders boot maker ATR over at the AtariAge forums, so no need to keep looking. Thanks very much though!

I'm still hoping to find a menu loader that works equally well with APE and MyIDE. It seems that the two I've found seem to work with one or the other (MyPDos w/APE, Filesel w/MyIDE).

I wonder if either will be updated, and of course have a big fat Fuji thrown in for good measure ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:51 am 

Hi!

I'm the author of MyPicoDos (thanks to pps for telling me about this discussion!). Unfortunately I don't have a MyIDE interface, but I hope we can track down the issues.

Crash wrote:
When using the regular version:
-It can read the MyIDE directory, but hangs if I try to launch anything.

Can you please tell me at which exact point it hangs? Is the screen blue again (standard gr.0), does it load some (or all?) sectors of the file?

At the moment I think this could be caused by a memory collision between MyIDE and MyPicoDos. After selecting a file MyPicoDos reads the first sector of that file (to determine the file type), then enables/disables basic, and then starts the loader. At the very beginning the loader clears all memory used by MyPicoDos. The memory-clear routine is stored at $0400. According to Mr. Atari's tech-doc file this memory is also used as temporary storage by MyIDE when switching partitions. If I understand it correctly, this shouldn't be a problem. But maybe I didn't understand it correctly and/or the tech-doc was incorrect :-)

Is the source code of the MyIDE OS and/or an in-depth tech-doc file available somewhere? That would help really a lot!

Crash wrote:
When using the High Speed version:
-Cannot read the MyIDE directory (says Empty Directory)

That's what I'm expecting. BTW: If you disable highspeed SIO (using the "H" key) and then reload the directory, it should work.

Crash wrote:
-Does not read Happy drive at High Speed

That's strange. I just tested MyPicoDos with my Happy 1050 and it worked fine. How was your setup when you did this and what did you do exactly?

Crash wrote:
I would like to see this program re-written to function as an autorun.sys or autorun.ar0 - the boot sector thing isn't something I want to risk with a hard disk.

Shouldn't be a big deal! OTOH: including MyPicoDos directly into the boot ROM would be an even better idea IMO. I already did something similar (I included MyPicoDos into the boot ROM of my TurboFreezer). MyPicoDos is just a single chunk of code starting at $1000. When loading from a .COM file the best idea would be to set the starting address of that COM file to $2000 (or so) and include a small routine that moves the code to the right address.

Crash wrote:
Perhaps we can bribe the author by buying him a MyIDE, and get him to update the program ;)

I wouldn't mind if someone was doing that - it could speed up debugging quite a bit :-)

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:07 pm 

>>Perhaps we can bribe the author by buying him a MyIDE, and get him to update the program Wink<<

I wouldn't mind donating $10 towards the cause. Anyone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:39 pm 

Anyone that wishes to donate towards this, please send me a Private Message (PM). I'll take the donations and place the order.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 7 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next