It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:49 pm

Page 6 of 7 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:08 am 

I flashed my cart with the latest mpdos, how cool. However, I found that some files I try to run off of my Compact Flash card simply do not load, or freeze, or end up in dos, or countless other strange results. If I load these SAME EXACT files in APE from an image that is identical to my CF card partition... they work. Is there any reason why these files load fine from APE but not at all from the MYIDE?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:26 am 

wanner251 wrote:
I flashed my cart with the latest mpdos, how cool. However, I found that some files I try to run off of my Compact Flash card simply do not load, or freeze, or end up in dos, or countless other strange results. If I load these SAME EXACT files in APE from an image that is identical to my CF card partition... they work. Is there any reason why these files load fine from APE but not at all from the MYIDE?

Most probably these files aren't compatible with the MyIDE soft OS. If they use the RAM under the OS ROM or switch on the OS ROM, they won't work.

Could you please upload the non-working files somewhere, then I'll have a closer look at them.

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:27 am 

HiassofT wrote:
With a standard OS all of the system (except the editor screen) is initialized by the time the cartridge is initialized. This means, you can use the SIO routine to access disk drives etc.

IMO the MyIDE OS should also act like this. I.e.: accessing the harddisk should exactly work like accessing a standard disk drive.

IMHO we don't need support for diagnostic carts, but putting the HDINIT call before the cartridge-init would be a very good idea.
so long,

Hias

You are right. The HDINIT-routine should be were the OS init all it's hardware. After that the cartridge can decide to
allow disk-boot yes or no.
I change this with the new 4.3 version together with the status-command.

Anymore things I should attent to, before releasing a other beta?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:55 am 

mr-atari wrote:
You are right. The HDINIT-routine should be were the OS init all it's hardware. After that the cartridge can decide to
allow disk-boot yes or no.
I change this with the new 4.3 version together with the status-command.

Thanks a lot!

mr-atari wrote:
Anymore things I should attent to, before releasing a other beta?

None that I'm aware of at the moment - great work!

But I've got some questions concerning your flashcart menu:

Is there a particular reason why you added basic to the flashcart? It would also be fine to have another option which uses the builtin basic (which can then be turned off/on with $D301).

It would be nice if you could build two different versions of the flashcart bootrom: one with basic and assembler and another one with basic and MyPicoDos. Users might then decide which one they prefer. The advantage of this would be that the builtin MyPicoDos doesn't eat up space in the flashcart. What do you - and also all others - think about that?

BTW: If you like, you can email me your latest beta version before you release it officially, then I can do some additional testing.

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:11 pm 

HiassofT wrote:
Crash wrote:
Is there any way to make the built-in high speed option in MyPD compatible with MyIDE?

Not in the same way as my hisio patch. It would be necessary to reliably detect every version of the MyIDE OS and then also know the memory locations of the various configuration bytes plus their exact purpose. This means a lot of work and also will never be 100% reliable

Hmmm... Would it be possible (or simpify matters) for MyPDos to automatically recognize when you switch to an APE Mirror partition, and then switch to high speed on it's own?

Alternatively, is it possible to release a version of the new MyPDos that defaults to High Speed mode on, in case I use my Atari800 which doesn't have any MyIDE?

The new APE Mirror compatibility is really nice :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:35 pm 

OK, so does this mean that all I have to do is wait for the 4.3 beta and all will be well most likely? Well, here is an image of some of the files that work in APE but do not work when loading from MyIDE. Thanks for taking a look!

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:12 pm 

Crash wrote:
Alternatively, is it possible to release a version of the new MyPDos that defaults to High Speed mode on, in case I use my Atari800 which doesn't have any MyIDE?

Yes, of course. I already have several different working versions ready on my computer. I'll wait a few days, in the meanwhile update the docs, and then release a new, full version of MyPicoDos.

This release will include the following MyPicoDos versions, with full source code:
Initializer program with standard MyPicoDos (normal speed and high speed), a second initializer (also normal/highspeed) with AtariSIO remote console support, and another initializer for the special MyIDE version (highspeed, remote console, but highspeed turned off by default).
Then there are 5 different COM-versions (normal/high speed, with/without remote console plus the MyIDE version), and 4 .atr versions (I won't make an .atr MyIDE version, this wouldn't make too much sense).
Ah, and of course there'll be a ROM MyIDE version that can be included on the MyIDE flashcart.

Quite a lot of different programs :-)

Quote:
The new APE Mirror compatibility is really nice :)

You're welcome!

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:14 pm 

wanner251 wrote:
OK, so does this mean that all I have to do is wait for the 4.3 beta and all will be well most likely?

I don't know. Maybe yes, maybe no :-)
But I'll have a look at the files and check why the don't work.

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:00 pm 

wanner251 wrote:
Well, here is an image of some of the files that work in APE but do not work when loading from MyIDE. Thanks for taking a look!

I just did several tests: with the 3.1 and 4.2 ROM OS and with the 3.5F (flashcart) soft-OS:

Archon works fine with all of them.

Cosmic tunnels works only with 3.1 ROM OS. I disassembled the file and saw that it does a reset (JMP $E474) before starting it. With 3.5F it loads, and then the Atari boots as normal. The start-routine uses ZP adresses 4-7, maybe that interfers with the MyIDE OS?

Spy vs Spy didn't work with any of the OSes. After the title screen ROM is enabled ($D301=$FF), therefore loading stops with the 3.5F OS. With 3.1 and 4.2 loading continues but then after a while the computer just hangs. Before loading and also shortly before the crash I saw that $03FF was set to $00, but after the crash it was set to $40. The memory locations $0247-$026A and $03ED-$03FE were unchanged.

Sijmen, any ideas?

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:28 pm 

HiassofT wrote:
It would be nice if you could build two different versions of the flashcart bootrom: one with basic and assembler and another one with basic and MyPicoDos. Users might then decide which one they prefer. The advantage of this would be that the builtin MyPicoDos doesn't eat up space in the flashcart. What do you - and also all others - think about that?

Is there a reason why it couldn't be loaded from the flashcart menu?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:54 am 

Shawn Jefferson wrote:
Is there a reason why it couldn't be loaded from the flashcart menu?

No. With Steve's and Sijmen's changes it should work fine. Including MyPicoDos directly in the bootrom was just an idea to save some space.

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:29 am 

HiassofT wrote:
Yes, of course. I already have several different working versions ready on my computer. I'll wait a few days, in the meanwhile update the docs, and then release a new, full version of MyPicoDos.

Hi Hias,

Thanks for all the effort you have put into this, it is much appreciated. Since you are putting out a new version, I have a request. Since there can be so many files in a hard disk subdirectory, I would like to see a little more space available on the screen to display file names. Perhaps you could gain up to 3 lines at the top by incorporating the Drive identifier into the top border line and perhaps get one more line at the bottom by consolidating the information below a little bit. Also some kind of indicator in the top and bottom border bars that indicates that there are more files that can be scrolled to if some files are not visible would be helpful. Thanks for considering it!.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:06 am 

JR> wrote:
Since there can be so many files in a hard disk subdirectory, I would like to see a little more space available on the screen to display file names.

OK, here's a new version: 3 more lines plus an up/down arrow indicator at the top/bottom of the list if there are more files. Please check if all of the screen lines are visible, I only have PAL Ataris to test (PAL displays more scanlines per screen). BTW: This is a full version of MyPicoDos, use MYPDIDE.COM from mycom.atr (COM-Version) or MYPDOSM.COM from myinit.atr (initializer program).

If you find any bugs (even small ones, like arrow indicators displayed wrong etc), please tell me.

http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/mypdos-060217.zip

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:37 pm 

HiassofT wrote:
JR> wrote:
Since there can be so many files in a hard disk subdirectory, I would like to see a little more space available on the screen to display file names.

OK, here's a new version: 3 more lines plus an up/down arrow indicator at the top/bottom of the list if there are more files. Please check if all of the screen lines are visible, I only have PAL Ataris to test (PAL displays more scanlines per screen). BTW: This is a full version of MyPicoDos, use MYPDIDE.COM from mycom.atr (COM-Version) or MYPDOSM.COM from myinit.atr (initializer program).

If you find any bugs (even small ones, like arrow indicators displayed wrong etc), please tell me.

http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/mypdos-060217.zip

so long,

Hias

Man this is service, I put in a request before I go to bed and it's there in the morning waiting for me when I wake up.

I had to adjust my CRT monitor a bit to get all the lines to show completely, but that is not a problem and it displays just fine on my 19" LCD monitor.

I did notice some wierdness in the display of the Drive indicator when testing on Atari800winplus, but not on a real Atari. It was sporadic, and depending on which of the versions I tried I would get things like '11' or D1 (no colon) or D1:1 or D1:D1:. Just weird stuff like that. Basically it looked like at some point the characters got shifted 1 or 2 characters. When I would change drives, ususlly the rightmost 1 would stay a 1 and the leftmost 1 would change to 2.

Other than that everything sees to be working great, including the arrow indicators.! Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:21 pm 

Thanks Hias, this is just great :)

Page 6 of 7 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next