It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Question about HD types.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:56 am 

Ok, so I had a few old IDE drives laying around, so I've been using, or attempting to use them with MyIDE. 2 of the 3 I have had bad sectors on them and I'm deep scanning the 3rd now (which is an old PS/1 171MB HD). But I also have an old Everex laptop PC from '91 that has one of those micro-IDE (2.5") drives in it (or whatever theya re called). It works fine in the laptop, and since it's only 5v, I can run off the XE's power. Plus, I think it's a larger capacity drive than the IDE I'm currently testing. I've seen&read about others using these drives too. Anyway, I wondering about the cable to use for one of these laptop drives. Is it a ribbon cable I need that has the proper connectors or is there another adapter required? I can't use the one that was in the laptop as it's a custom mylar connector. So, I need to know what to look for to make this work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:38 pm 

You need a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE-adaptor.
It's a common-item for sale in computershops.
I'm sure you find it on ebay for less ;-)

One note: The PSU of your Atari needs to be 1.5 Amp if you want to drive a HD from it.
The 'standard' 1 Amp XE-style PSU is to weak and will burnout or thermical shutdown.
The older XL-type PSU have 1.5 Amp (or more) and do fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:59 pm 

Thanks. I went to E-bay and found several hundred for sale, most averaging $.99. Got to watch those shipping prices though...some are a real rip-off. I found a reletively legit one though with only a $2.95 shipping charge. So, shipping still cost me 3 times what the adapter cost, but $3.94 isn't to bad, shopping from my PC. I would've spent at least that on gas going to a store since I'm in the country.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]