It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: SpartaDOS-X for MyIDE Cart. is HERE. (still needs work!)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:48 pm 

Hi All.

Here's what I have done so far... This image will flash SDX 4.39 with MyIDE.SYS in the cart. This will allow plug & play MyIDE with SpartaDOS, leaving OS-RAM free for TBASIC-XL and other programs.

You may want to EDIT the .ATR image with a hex editor to change the default CONFIG.SYS file. It's set up now for DEVICE MYIDE 1 2 3 4 5.

You may also need to edit CONFIG.SYS for other reasons. I set it to default to USE BANKED. I just patched this in, so, to make room, I renamed ATARIDOS.SYS to ADOS.SYS and RAMDISK.SYS to RD.SYS.

*** NOTICE *** This is *NOT* compatible with existing data on the drive, because I don't yet understand the MyIDE partition table setup. Use this on an EMPTY DRIVE or on one you don't care about your data. You will LOSE YOUR OLD DATA!

Partition tables are another story. I haven't figured out how to load them from the drive yet. This is very crude, but it works. just type format, then build directory. Don't change the density. The driver supports the read Percom command, but not set percom config.

I'd like to try 8 bit IDE mode, then the entire drive could be used with 512 bytes / sector.

Let me know what you think, if this would be useful. Any and all help with partition table code would be HIGHLY APPRECIATED!

-Kyle

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Last edited by Kyle on Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:34 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Incredible, I'm going to make some time to try this out tomorrow. :D

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:04 pm 

classics wrote:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Incredible, I'm going to make some time to try this out tomorrow. :D

Steve

Me too!
If I could get MyIDE working w/Sparta, I'd be a happy camper. I could probably make some more space on my desk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:57 am 

Hi Kyle,

If you want to know how data is stored as MyIDE, read
the manuals. And if any questions still remain, just drop
me a email.

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum ... .php?t=490

Cheers,
Sijmen.

Post subject: Re: SpartaDOS-X for MyIDE Cart. is HERE. (still needs work!)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:39 pm 

Kyle wrote:
*** NOTICE *** This is *NOT* compatible with existing data on the drive, because I don't yet understand the MyIDE partition table setup. Use this on an EMPTY DRIVE or on one you don't care about your data. You will LOSE YOUR OLD DATA!

That's awesome, nice work Kyle. Here's the source code (written in C with cc65) for the the MyIDE Config program that I wrote. Hopefully that should give you some idea of how the partition tables work. With the cartridge version of the MyIDE OS, you can have all 8 active partitions available, but not knowing how you have implemented your MYIDE.SYS driver, I guess that might not be the case with your code.

MyIDE Config Source

Quote:
I'd like to try 8 bit IDE mode, then the entire drive could be used with 512 bytes / sector.

That would be huge, if possible!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:12 pm 

Shawn,

Thanks for the code! I'll look it over after work...

-Kyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:23 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Seems to be working great.

I flashed a cart and it booted right up. I formatted the MyIDE drives using FORMAT, then copied some games and utilties over with no problems at all. :D

Steve

Post subject: Re: SpartaDOS-X for MyIDE Cart. is HERE. (still needs work!)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:31 am 

Hi Kyle!

Kyle wrote:
This is *NOT* compatible with existing data on the drive, because I don't yet understand the MyIDE partition table setup.

Have a look at the (C++) source code of my myidetool for Linux and Windows, especially the ReadPartitionTable method in MyideDisk.cpp. Here's a link to the myidetool (including source code):
http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/myidetool-060627.zip

Quote:

This is quite simple, but only works with CF cards (normal harddrives don't support the CFA command set). Have a look at movie.src (also inside the myidetool zip file) and check out the CFSET subroutine (call with X=$01 to enable 8-bit PIO mode, X=$81 to disable it).

Basically it issues a command $EF (set features) with either subcommand $01 (enable 8-bit PIO) or $81 (disable 8-bit PIO). When in 8-bit mode you have to read/write 512 data bytes per sector instead of 256. That's all and, yes, it's really this simple :-)

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:41 pm 

Thanks for the source, looks VERY useful!

I fixed some things, killed a few bugs, and made the driver smaller.

For some reason, if the drive is 65535 sectors, it'll build directory fine, but try to copy files to it, and it thinks it's full. This may well be caused by my misuse of the carry flag, or something... Until I get partitions loading off the drive, here's an image that lets you have 8 drives of 65242 free after building the directory. I'm currently trying to fill the drives up to make sure they don't step on each other. (Hard to do on an Atari). :)

Here's the flasher image. I'll post my source code soon, as soon as I clean it up some more...

-Kyle

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:44 pm 

Hi,

Quote:
here's an image that lets you have 8 drives of 65242 free after building the directory

:?
I thought the new rom had a 3 drive limit. Which is the best rom to use with this SDX01c. MyIDE internal or external or softrom - hardrom, or NONE.. Will this SDX replace the need for a myide-bootrom.
:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:45 pm 

NONE! Just plug & play... No special OS-ROM needed.

This is for external (IDE on FlashCart). with simple changes, it would work on internal. (just change D50x to D10x and change D52x to D50x, and flash to standard (non IDE) Atarimax 128K (1Mbit) cart).

The 3 drive limit is only in the MyIDE OS. I don't have it, so I can't say for sure why it's there.

I have the config.sys on cart defaulted to 5 drives. If you want more, or less, you'll need to edit the .atr image with a sector editor or hex editor.

Device MYIDE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

If you want, you can replace the Device MYIDE line with spaces, then no driver will load. You can (at the prompt) type MYIDE.SYS followed by drives to activate.

Please do NOT load multiple copies of the driver, it just eats up precious RAM, and eventually, will cause a SIO Table Full error.

If you have a bootable device with CONFIG.SYS on it, that one will override the default one. Please note that unfortunately, we can't put config.sys on the IDE drive, because it's not available until after the driver is loaded. It *WILL* execute the AUTOEXEC.BAT on the D1: IDE partition.

This one is for normal IDE devices (only use 1/2 capacity), just like standard MyIDE. I'm working on one that uses 8 bit mode, using 512 byte sectors (already supported by SDX). Then you can use the entire capacity of the drive. Many IDE drives don't support 8 bit mode, though. Hopefully, the Transcend flash module will. If it does, I'll make a version for it.

The whole reason I started this was so I could have IDE on my 1200XL which lacks a PBI port, so I can't use KMK/JZ or MIO, or similar. MyIDE cart is nice, but uses OS-RAM, so disk based Sparta won't work. I don't want to be forced into using custom ROM in the computer, so this is the way to have SpartaDOS AND MyIDE.

Please try it and let me know what you think.

Remember, this driver is VERY EARLY in the development stage, so DO NOT use it to store important, non-replaceable data!

-Kyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:11 am 

Hi Kyle,

I like to use the upper 64k of flash for cartridge-space.
Like basic-c, assembler and 2 OSS (mac/65 and one other) images.
This is total 64k (8k + 8k + 24k + 24k)

Can Sparta SDX work with these banks to support cartridges?
Or can you only select the internal BASIC?

Well, I asume the SDX uses the first 64k of the flash, banked.
and the myide.sys is a internal driver of sparta-dos.......

Kind regards,
Sijmen.

P.S. Any progress in extracting the FDISK information from sector 0?
If you need help, just drop me a PM or email.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:27 am 

Hi Sijmen,

The new SDX 4.3x uses the entire 128K. It may be possible to do this on the 8Mbit cart, with internal MyIDE. There is a compatibility problem with the D5xx registers in the 8Mb cart being the same as the RTime8 clock, so you can't load the clock driver in SDX.

MyIDE.SYS resides on the CAR: device (internal to SpartaDOS, but technically, an external program).

I was away for a few days, and haven't had a chance to work on the partition table. I should have some time in the next few days...

It shouldn't be difficult at all, I'm not too good with bitwise math, so it takes me a little while :)

I have the source almost fully commented, I'll send it to you soon.

Thanks for your help!

-Kyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:08 am 

Hi Kyle,

Quote:
This is for external (IDE on FlashCart). with simple changes, it would work on internal. (just change D50x to D10x and change D52x to D50x, and flash to standard (non IDE) Atarimax 128K (1Mbit) cart).

I have a 1200xl with an internal MyIDE, so I tried to make the changes noted with a hex editor but either missed a change or added to many changes. Would you be able to post the beginning and ending offsets to the myide.sys.. :oops:

With the new USB2SIO and true 3x speed with APE (USB only) filling the D2: partition went fairly fast. I didn't get it totally full, but I didn't bump into any problems. Really looking forward to an internal MyIDE flashcart.
Good Luck,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:49 am 

Hi Roy,

I'm going to be away for a few days, but when I get back, I'll make a version for standard Atarimax cart & internal MyIDE. I have no way of testing it, so you'll have to let me know how it works.

-Kyle

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next