It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Beginner Quetion : Should I get an 800xl or 130XE?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:18 pm 

I'd like to get back into using an Atari for fun -- but I was hoping someone could give me advice on whether I should get an 800xl or 130xe? I would defit. be adding a HD to the unit if that helps in your suggestions.

Thanks for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:07 pm 

The 800XL has a better keyboard and 64K of RAM. The 130XE has 128K of RAM but the keyboard isn't as good. What do you want to use the computer for? You'll get a better response to your question if you post it in the forums at www.atariage.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:25 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

If you mostly want to play games I would get an 800XL.

They are very inexpensive and hold up well.

With XEs its difficult to get one with a working keyboard unless you buy in person.

Steve

Post subject: Both have advantages.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:31 pm 

For the 800XL, there are a few advantages:
1) Usually socketed chips, if upgrading/replacing.
2) More space internally for upgrades.
3) More durable keyboard (as already mentioned).
4) PBI and cartridge port are separate (and you don't have to "stand on your head" to insert a cartridge).
5) Generally less expensive to purchase.

For the 130XE:
1) Generally easier to upgrade memory to larger sizes.
2) *Far better* off-the-shelf video/display than nearly all XL's.
3) Sleeker appearance and takes less desk space.
4) Most external hard drives use the ECI format for connection.
5) Extra 64KB of memory built-in for ramdisk, etc. in the stock unit.

My choice -- 130XE, mostly because of the smaller space requirements on my crowded computer desk. And unless you are ready to get out the soldering iron, don't underestimate the advantage of the XE's vastly superior video quality. But if you purchase a 130XE through the internet, do make sure you ask about the keyboard. I've had more than a dozen XE's, and found two bad keyboards. The deal seems to be, if you get a good one, it will last a long, long, long time. My original 130XE purchased the month they were available (1985?) is still going strong without a trace of any keyboard problems. -Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:49 pm 

I've repaired the keyboard on a 130XE - it's not that difficult. The silver conductive traces printed on clear mylar may degrade over time. The fix is to paint over the open circuit with silver conductive paint that can be found at automotive stores to repair rear window defoggers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:55 am 

With regards to MyIDE though, I think a stock 800XL comes with a 1.5A power supply and the 130XE uses a 1A supply, so if you're wanting to put say an internal HD powered from the same supply then the XL is better suited, though you can just get hold of a different supply for the XE.

Mark

Post subject: 130xe..800xl..keys
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:51 pm 

a8people,

there are @<two kinds of 800xl keyboards...one is very nice, the older ones with switches soldered to a board.. the other is kind is kinda crunchy and uses the film layered..dahh daA.. with weak, metal rebound springs.
130 xe also has no real switches, and uses rubber springs not metal coil springs , but into each rubber spring I inserted a metal spring,(sprung from a commodore 64) ...this worked perfectly.. solid and quiet describes my 130xe keyboard Now.. Also xe keys are bigger and have the graphics on them... also.. this setup inside my 130xe is hands down best for playing music, when it is employed as an instrument.
for Music...
the good keyboards with switches are too polar...rubber springed 130xe's are too slow for playing tunes... metal coiled crunchy xl's are also slow, and sometimes seem to bind with an innaccurate depression..my xe has a,supple, firm, soft, quick, quiet keyboard suited for makin melodies..

I hope that made sense..and I hope someone can gleen some usefull information from it.

soularInfluxe

/|\ ATARI...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]