It is currently Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:57 am

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:02 pm 

It is a strange story, and I don't think I can fix it.

It is a compatibility issue between spartados and MyIDE 3.1...

For now I give this issue some rest. I'm concentrating on other things right now.

It's a pity you and I found the original copy bug, and now we are in a new problem.

(offtopic)
At this moment I'm playing around with Sio2IDE and Sio2SD... those devices are (much) slower, compared to MyIDE... but using SIO is also a very charming part of Atari. It's all in the game... But my goal is a fixed 3.1, so I will think about it later....
(/offtopic)

If you have any ideas about SpartaDOS and this new problem... please let me know.

Marius

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:26 pm 

Hi Marius,

Quote:
I'm very curious what the experiences of other users are!

Greetz
Marius

I just got around to updateing my 32n1 OS. I like the tweaked 31i rom. With SpartaDOS the turbobasic file Tb32q.com works good. I don't have problems with small copies or saves from t-basic to other partitions. I have been able to get all 8 partition working. Image loading seems to be okay-'I don't use image loading a lot, and only have about 6 images on this SDX CF card. First is myswap20.atr. Thanks! All is working good for the first try, except SHIFT+RESET doesn't do a coldstart.
I will try this new tweaked 31i on MyDos next. :D

Quote:
For now I give this issue some rest. I'm concentrating on other things right now.

Good luck with your other things. I have retired my SIO2IDE since I got the MyIDE interface and Atarimax Flash Cartridge.

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:32 am 

Hi Roy!

Nice to hear.

About the coldstart. In fact it 'should' work, because in that tweaked OS EVERY reset is handled by my new reset routine.

It only checks for the shift key, at the end of the reset routine, so perhaps you leave shift to soon?

I'd say this:

Press shift, and HOLD it.
press reset (still holding shift)

as soon as the blue screen shows up, it should reboot.

Marius

p.s. if not, let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:56 am 

roye wrote:
Hi Marius,

Quote:
I'm very curious what the experiences of other users are!

Greetz
Marius

I just got around to updateing my 32n1 OS. I like the tweaked 31i rom. With SpartaDOS the turbobasic file Tb32q.com works good. I don't have problems with small copies or saves from t-basic to other partitions. I have been able to get all 8 partition working. Image loading seems to be okay-'I don't use image loading a lot, and only have about 6 images on this SDX CF card. First is myswap20.atr. Thanks! All is working good for the first try, except SHIFT+RESET doesn't do a coldstart.
I will try this new tweaked 31i on MyDos next. :D

Quote:

Good luck with your other things. I have retired my SIO2IDE since I got the MyIDE interface and Atarimax Flash Cartridge.

Thanks again!

Hi Roy-

How did you update your 32-in-1 OS -- using an 8Mb flash cart?

How did you like the SIO2IDE interface as regards file selections? Does the selection software work well and cause few conflicts? Presume you used it with a CF card?

-Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:53 am 

Hi Larry,

Quote:

How did you like the SIO2IDE interface as regards file selections? Does the selection software work well and cause few conflicts? Presume you used it with a CF card?

Yes I used the 8Mb Flash Cart. I had to buy a chip puller. Change out of the chip -Flashing cart to installation of chip into 32-in-1 OS took less than and 1/2 hour-

I was using an IDE hard drive with the SIO2IDE, somewhat clumsy, I was just getting started with it when I was drawn to the MyIDE and set the SIO2IDE aside to install the MyIDE into my 130XE.

I updated the 32n1 OS so I could put Marius' tweaked 3.1 rom. I wanted the SHIFT+RESET option which works holding the shift key down through the boot process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:09 am 

roye wrote:
Hi Larry,

Quote:

Yes I used the 8Mb Flash Cart. I had to buy a chip puller. Change out of the chip -Flashing cart to installation of chip into 32-in-1 OS took less than and 1/2 hour-

I was using an IDE hard drive with the SIO2IDE, somewhat clumsy, I was just getting started with it when I was drawn to the MyIDE and set the SIO2IDE aside to install the MyIDE into my 130XE.

I updated the 32n1 OS so I could put Marius' tweaked 3.1 rom. I wanted the SHIFT+RESET option which works holding the shift key down through the boot process.

What version of the SIO2IDE did you get?

-Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:01 pm 

Hi Larry,

Quote:

-Larry

I have version 4. I think that there is new documentation, and rom. I bought this on Ebay, but never installed. One day I might get around to finishing the cableing and read the documentation again.
I also bought a KMK interface for my 130xe but I haven't gotten around to useing it yet.(if ever) The MyIDE interface is just so much more usable for my needs.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:34 pm 

thewhiz wrote:

-Larry

Hey Larry,

It sounds like you are trying to decide if you want to get an SIO2IDE. I picked up one (ver 4.4 I think) quite some time ago and never got around to trying it until recently. It has pros and cons, but I actually like it better than MYIDE.

The software allows you to mount up to 8 ATR images of any size for your SIO Drives. It reads them from an FAT partition, so getting the ATR's to your media is very fast and easy and you can put as many as will fit on your media. It handles subdirectories so you can organize your ATR's however you like on the media.

The major downside, of course, is that you are limited to SIO speeds, but any OS or DOS that has highspeed drivers works at up to 3X speeds, so unless you are moving a lot of data, that's not a huge problem.

Since it is SIO based it is completely portable and doesn't require a custom OS so it is compatible with just about everything.

On other annoyance worth mentioning is that it takes a while to initialize. You have to boot the computer and then when the device is done initializing you have to reset the computer to boot from the device. I think there is some way to wire it so that the computer will wait for it to initialize before it will boot but I haven't tried that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:21 am 

JR> wrote:
thewhiz wrote:

-Larry

Hey Larry,

It sounds like you are trying to decide if you want to get an SIO2IDE. I picked up one (ver 4.4 I think) quite some time ago and never got around to trying it until recently. It has pros and cons, but I actually like it better than MYIDE.

The software allows you to mount up to 8 ATR images of any size for your SIO Drives. It reads them from an FAT partition, so getting the ATR's to your media is very fast and easy and you can put as many as will fit on your media. It handles subdirectories so you can organize your ATR's however you like on the media.

The major downside, of course, is that you are limited to SIO speeds, but any OS or DOS that has highspeed drivers works at up to 3X speeds, so unless you are moving a lot of data, that's not a huge problem.

Since it is SIO based it is completely portable and doesn't require a custom OS so it is compatible with just about everything.

On other annoyance worth mentioning is that it takes a while to initialize. You have to boot the computer and then when the device is done initializing you have to reset the computer to boot from the device. I think there is some way to wire it so that the computer will wait for it to initialize before it will boot but I haven't tried that.

Hi JR-

Yes, I have been thinking about it. I really "need" one for my collection! :wink: Thanks for the info.

Where did you purchase yours -- eBay? That's what most people seem to say, but I haven't seen one on eBay in a long, long time. If eBay, do you remember the seller's name?

-Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:24 am 

thewhiz wrote:
Hi JR-

Yes, I have been thinking about it. I really "need" one for my collection! :wink: Thanks for the info.

Where did you purchase yours -- eBay? That's what most people seem to say, but I haven't seen one on eBay in a long, long time. If eBay, do you remember the seller's name?

-Larry

Yeah I got it back in February on ebay from abrakadabrax. His address is listed as Poland, but he only charged me $10 for shipping. Looks like he is selling SIO2SD units now. Those are tempting, but usually go for more than I really want to spend right now.

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3