It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is the pic of the internal XL/XE current?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:55 am 

Hi Steve-

If the pic that is posted is current (not changed from a prototype), then I should be able to make a scale template and see how it looks to fit in my 1200XL. Perhaps no need to wait to order.

BTW, how does the "bad flash" protection work? IIRC, there is a write-protected backup of the stock XL/XE OS that one jumpers in if a bad flash is encountered? Or?

-Larry

Post subject: Re: Is the pic of the internal XL/XE current?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:02 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

thewhiz wrote:
Hi Steve-

If the pic that is posted is current (not changed from a prototype), then I should be able to make a scale template and see how it looks to fit in my 1200XL. Perhaps no need to wait to order.

Yes, the board shape is the same. When I was testing it for fit in the 1200XL there was basically just enough room left to attach an IDE cable.

To use a flash module or anything with a female connector, you would need an IDE extension cable. But in any case you should be able to get a feel for it by printing out the picture.

thewhiz wrote:
BTW, how does the "bad flash" protection work? IIRC, there is a write-protected backup of the stock XL/XE OS that one jumpers in if a bad flash is encountered? Or?

-Larry

Yes, when you put the recovery jumper in place a copy of the standard XL/XE OS is switched in. This copy is hardware write protected so it can't be accidentally erased, even by the flashing software.

When you boot the flash software in this configuration it will prompt you to remove the recovery jumper just before programming the new OS.

IDE devices are also held in reset when the recovery jumper is in place.

Steve

Post subject: Re: Is the pic of the internal XL/XE current?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:11 am 

I made a template based on the IDE connector, and it is a tight fit in a 1200XL. Think I'll wait for the XEGS units to come in.
Thanks,
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:35 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Ah you beat me to it, here is the photo of the xl/xe kit in a 1200xl.

Just enough room for an IDE cable. The XEGS kit should allow enough room for flash modules.

Steve

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:38 pm 

Hi,

Just got my internal my-ide and built it in my atari 600xl.
It already had ad memory expansion circuit board which i could not re-allocate because is had pins on the underside which plug into the place where the former 2x8k ram chips were. I had to re-locate the internal my-ide circuit board and had to solder 28 wires from the underside of the 600xl circuit board rom socket to the loose socket which came with the internal my-ide interface. In that socket i plugged in the internal my-ide board. (i did not solder 'on' the socket or removed the socket fro mthe circuit board, so maybe later i can restore the 600xl easier to orginal state and maybe i am going to buy a 600xl and do 'the simple' ram upgrade by replacing the ram chips with 2x32k chips and some soldering which gives me more room and will let the internam my-ide board fit into the os rom socket)
(located it slightly above the memory expansion circuit board.
It 'just' fits inside my 600xl. I use a 1gb ide flash module on it.

Was a nasty job, but now everything works just fine.
Here are some pictures... (i hope i do not scare you! it's a real frankenstein thing now...)

OK, i know, ugly and not nice done, but it works great!

This weekend i am going to make a 'drive activity' led next to the power led on the keyboard and will make the my-ide board stuck to the case(now it is 'loose' inside the 600xl).

Thanks to Steven and Sijmen! Really great, i am happy with thing thing!

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]