It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: MyIDE Cart -- Built-in CF Card?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:04 am 

Another user asked me about something similar to this. Has anyone put a CF card *inside* the cartridge?

There is room for a CF card and a small adapter on the non-component side of the MyIDE cart PCB. There is also a complete set of solder rings for connecting the adapter to the pcb. Looks feasible (even if not terribly useful).

-Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:25 am 

Hmmm. This would be very interesting. The my-ide cart is an outstanding device as-is, but fitting the entire setup into a cart would make it a bit more durable. Right now I have the cart, then the CF adapter, then the CF card plugged into the back of a 130XE (as I'm sure many others do), and I'm sometimes worried I'm going to smash it into the wall or TV, or my dog or one of my kids will step on it, or something. (I'm not really THAT worried about those things, but ...) The only problem, of course, would be the loss of the convenience of the removable CF card.

Speaking of durability, what would happen if the cart were removed (or bumped) when power was applied? I understand the CF drives are not hot-swappable when used as IDE drives. Could I expect damage the the drive, the computer, etc? I've only been using the my-ide cart for a couple of weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:51 pm 

After reading this I had to try it and it turned out pretty good. The way my IDE adaptors pins lined up, the card mounts in through the bottom of the cartridge. The cf card can be changed when I want without too much trouble. It's pretty tight and I'm sure many adaptors wouldn't fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:23 am 

ogre375 wrote:
After reading this I had to try it and it turned out pretty good. The way my IDE adaptors pins lined up, the card mounts in through the bottom of the cartridge. The cf card can be changed when I want without too much trouble. It's pretty tight and I'm sure many adaptors wouldn't fit.

Can you post a picture or two?

-Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:28 pm 

The led lined up with an empty spot on my ide-cf board so I drilled a hole and didn't have to mess with it. I removed the jumper pins and power port from the ide-cf card. I did end up filing a small amount off the sides of the ide-cf board for a nice fit. On the MyIDE board I moved the 20pin jumper to the component side and cut the plastic tabs and a slot for the cf card.

I filed a lip on this scraper I happened to have that hooks on the lip of the cf card so I can pull it out without taking the cartridge apart. I'm very happy with the results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:59 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Very nice modding! :shock:

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:58 am 

Outstanding! Very nice hack and great pics. Thanks!
-Larry

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]