It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:01 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Problem with internal kit on SECAM computers
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:28 pm 

Hi Steven,

I received the internal kits and have installed one in a PAL computer (works great) and another one in a SECAM computer (hello from France !).
The kit installed in the SECAM computer does not work. When I turn it on, I have nothing on screen (not even the blue background). I tried to invert kits (the one in the PAL and the one in the SECAM) and the SECAM computer still does not like it.
I also put back the OS ROM and again it works well. Maybe there is something strange with the SECAM GTIA chip. I also tried to keep the kit installed but I remove the wires from the kit (the white/black/red wires). This time, I see the blue screen and the message telling me that it is waiting for the IDE drive. After a few seconds, the Atari reboots and display the same message again and again.

Any idea ? Could you try with the computer I sent to you last year. If you want me to do any test, just ask me.

ADDED 1/1/2008: I tried on a second SECAM computer and it does not work (same result). Are you sure that the SECAM GTIA chip has the same pinouts than the PAL/NTSC chip ?

Thank you.

Eric.

PS: Happy new year for all of you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:59 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Hi Eric,

Can you try to attach just one of the harness wires at a time?

It does sound like there is a wrong signal on one of the wires.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:18 pm 

classics wrote:
Hi Eric,

Can you try to attach just one of the harness wires at a time?

It does sound like there is a wrong signal on one of the wires.

Steve

Hi Steven and thank you for your answer.

I already tried that. The computer boots only if I attach the red wire alone. If I connect only the black wire alone or the white wire alone, the computer does not boot.

Eric.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:25 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Try connecting the white wire to signal R/W on the CPU and the black wire to signal 'o2' on the CPU. Even if the FGTIA pinout is different the CPU should be the same.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:20 pm 

classics wrote:
Try connecting the white wire to signal R/W on the CPU and the black wire to signal 'o2' on the CPU. Even if the FGTIA pinout is different the CPU should be the same.

Steve

This time, it works well, meaning the SECAM GTIA really has a different pinout.

Thank you so much. I love MyIDE kits (both external and internal). I am really happy playing with them :D

Steven, Sijmen, Thank you for all your work on this device. It's really fantastic.

Eric.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:47 am 

:D

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:35 pm 

mr-atari wrote:
:D

Thanks!

By the way, I wanted to expose 2 ideas.

1) Something very cool in the internal kit from Steven is the jumper for selecting XL OS in case of problem. In almost all my Atari computers, I added a switch on the back to select between 2 OS. Now, I have soldered the switch to the 2 pins of the jumper so I can select XL OS or MyIDE OS with this switch without opening the computer. Oops, I am loosing the computer warranty :)

2) External kit (MyIDE cartridge) is compatible with the internal kit. I mean, having an internal kit does not prevent from inserting and using the MyIDE flash cartridge which is also very cool. But of course I see only the hard disk tied to the cartridge. Am I wrong if I say that, from a hardware point of view, I can use both kits at the same time but it's only the software which is addressing only one kit (and only one hard disk). Would it be possible to make a software which can copy a partition from one hard disk to another partition in the other hard disk (sector by sector) assuming both partitions have the same size of course (Or copy images from one hard disk to the other) :?: Having MyDOS recognize both hard disks would be more complex I guess because MyIDE OS should also provide a way to address 2 register sets ($D100 and $D500) depending on the logical disk. For example D1: and D2: are for the 2 partitions on the first hard disk and D3: and D4: are located on the external hard disk. Of course, we don't really need all this. Just to understand better how everthing is working :)

Eric.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:58 pm 

ebiguy wrote:
2) External kit (MyIDE cartridge) is compatible with the internal kit. I mean, having an internal kit does not prevent from inserting and using the MyIDE flash cartridge which is also very cool. But of course I see only the hard disk tied to the cartridge. Am I wrong if I say that, from a hardware point of view, I can use both kits at the same time but it's only the software which is addressing only one kit (and only one hard disk).

I think that you would be able to see both sets of registers. The OS is hard-wired for one or the other. This is the first I thought of that arrangement, a person plugging in their external MyIDE to a machine that has the internal MyIDE installed. The current version, 4.1, of the MyIDE Image Manager would handle this properly (since I use Mr.Atari's variables in the OS to identify the hardware type.) The current MyIDE Config doesn't. I need to fix that... my software was created before some of these enhancements to the MyIDE OS and I was testing for an external MyIDE first, and if that fails, assume an internal.

Quote:
Would it be possible to make a software which can copy a partition from one hard disk to another partition in the other hard disk (sector by sector) assuming both partitions have the same size of course (Or copy images from one hard disk to the other) :?:

Yes, it would be possible today, you'd have to bypass the MyIDE OS to do it, and talk directly with the registers. I don't know how important that is for anyone though.

Quote:
Having MyDOS recognize both hard disks would be more complex I guess because MyIDE OS should also provide a way to address 2 register sets ($D100 and $D500) depending on the logical disk. For example D1: and D2: are for the 2 partitions on the first hard disk and D3: and D4: are located on the external hard disk.

I think that would complicate the OS too much... there is only so much room to work with and Mr.Atari has squeezed a lot into that small space as it is.

Quote:
Of course, we don't really need all this. Just to understand better how everthing is working

One interesting thing about the MyIDE interface that hasn't been utilized is that you can hook up a slave device. It's a simple matter of changing the byte you stuff into HEAD when you do a read or write to select the slave drive instead of the master. That would probably be a better way of cloning from disk to disk on the Atari. In fact, I was working on a program to backup/restore your HD on the Atari, and one option was to go from master to slave. I stopped work on this program because the excellent MyIDETool was released by Hias, which makes everything so much easier and faster (albeit on the PC).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:40 am 

Shawn Jefferson wrote:
(snip)
One interesting thing about the MyIDE interface that hasn't been utilized is that you can hook up a slave device. It's a simple matter of changing the byte you stuff into HEAD when you do a read or write to select the slave drive instead of the master. That would probably be a better way of cloning from disk to disk on the Atari. In fact, I was working on a program to backup/restore your HD on the Atari, and one option was to go from master to slave. I stopped work on this program because the excellent MyIDETool was released by Hias, which makes everything so much easier and faster (albeit on the PC).

That's interesting. I've wondered about that, but thought that it was not possible with the MyIDE. At one time I had my KMK-JZ IDE interface hooked up that way. The Master was a 2-1/2" HD and the Slave was a Compact Flash card. Wish someone would put a nice Windows front end on Hias' fine MyIDETool (for us "lazy" folks) :)
-Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:09 pm 

The master/slave configuration will work.
(the MyIDE-SIO routines only use the masterdrive)

You can use the vectors to read/write sectors from
any registersettings prior to JSR HDREA or HDWRI.

Easy way of copying is using LBA-mode.
The HEAD-register must be $Ex for LBA-master or $Fx for LBA-slave.
x is the highest (half) byte of sector addressing.
The other 3 bytes for sector addressing is stored in sector, cyl-l,cyl-h (low, medium, high)
Just setup master-sector $0000000 JSR HDREA
then setup slave-sector $0000000 JSR HDWRI
increase sector and continue until read (end of master) / write (end of slave) error.

Comments are noted.
Working on a new setup currently.....

Cheers,
Sijmen.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]