It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:45 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Games that wont work with MyIDE+Flash
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:09 pm 

Ok, so I finally got everything worked out & a ton of games loaded into image space... However some games wont run using this set up... I assume it's something to do with the MyIDE conflicting... SO I guess my question is, do we have a list of games that absolutely WONT work with the MyIDE+Flash?

Thanks

Orpheuswaking

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:39 am 

Absolutely not working are the programs that use their own loading routines instead of the OS loading routines. Own loading routines were often used to play music during loading. These programs are very rare and are mainly some demos. I can think of only one game with its own loading routines and that is Alternate Reality.

Also programs that has a hacker protection in the form of an OS checksum calculation will fail so the program can't be run on a hackers OS like Omnimon. This was used in some demos like "The BIG Demo" I believe. But these programs could be hacked to skip the OS check.

Another reason why a program could fail with MyIDE OS in rom would be if the program overwrites some of the MyIDE's internal data structures in ($3F9-$3FF + some other addresses?).

Finally, software that only runs on an 800 OS probably won't run on the MyIDE OS too since as far as I know it is based on the XL/XE Rev. 2 OS. But many of 800 only programs are already hacked to run on XL/XE too.

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:42 am 

Yep, and the most important reason:

Game programs tend to switch back on the ROM-OS, thus disabling
the MyIDE-OS that runs from RAM in OS-area.....

Also some software use the same RAM-area for data or software.
Thus whiping out the MyIDE-OS resulting in a lockup.

the MyIDE-OS in ROM that you can install in your Atari is a solution.

Cheers,
Sijmen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:11 am 

Here I am again ;)

There is one thing I find very strange:

On Rom 3.1 I have an almost 100% score on running software. Ok there are a few programs that use strange loaders that get in trouble.

But...

On Rom 4.3 I have a few programs that won't run, and not because of the loader, but for another reason.

Ok these are DEMO's... but that is not the issue in fact.

I'm wondering: why seems 3.1 more compatible with software?

I guess the goal is to come to a system that is as compatible as possible. Sijmen already told me the OS is getting 'too' full with al kinds of candy. Perhaps this is not the right way, and should the system be more simple, with less options and highger compatibility?

Last remark...

Personally I don't like the "Version message" and the "Waiting for MyIDE" message on my screen. It is not the way a stock Atari boots up, and as you can see in some programs this message keeps showing on the screen, because the programmer of that software was not thinking of getting rid any messages or text from the screen.

I include two ATR's that work great on MyIDE ROM 3.1 (rom version)

And won't work properly on MyIDE Rom 4.3.

The Liebich demo is a collection of Music made by T. Liebich. Demo starts, but the musics won't play -> screen garbage a little, and nou sound.

The Top #2 demo starts only the first few parts of demo, then it crashes.(press key on title screen if you run version 4.3 of myIDE)

It is not important for me to run these demo's, don't get me wrong.

My point:
Why is MyIDE 3.x running more software (ok except for the software with exclusive sioroutines (however this can't be fixed 100% in the current way)?

Marius

p.s. Is it absolutely impossible to fix the copy bug in 3.1, because the higher versions of MyIDE OS are completely different, or is this bug not going to be fixed, simply because this version is not supported anymore?

With other words, would it be simple (by knowing what causes the bug) to fix 3.1 myself?

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:43 am 

Maybe we should start a database. I've only been playing with the my-ide flash cart for a couple of weeks, but I have found several titles that I simply can't get to run. I've started to document them, as I'm trying to get the best possible versions of many of my old favorites, so I've tried multiple "dumps" of many different programs. A few that come to mind are:

Pharaoh's Curse (Synapse, ATR and XEX)
Goonies (Datasoft, ATR and XEX)
Pooyan (Datasoft, ATR and XEX)
Conan (Datasoft, ATR, 2 sides)
Karateka (Broderbund, ATR)
Lode Runner (Broderbund, ATR)

There are many others, but I SHOULD emphasize that MOST of the XEX files that I have tried to run have performed flawlessly, and I'm testing new ones every day. I'm using the 3.5F ver. and I generally load from mypicodos on the flashcart (but I've tried loading from mydos too).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:51 pm 

ponderosa wrote:
Maybe we should start a database. I've only been playing with the my-ide flash cart for a couple of weeks, but I have found several titles that I simply can't get to run. I've started to document them, as I'm trying to get the best possible versions of many of my old favorites, so I've tried multiple "dumps" of many different programs. A few that come to mind are:

Pharaoh's Curse (Synapse, ATR and XEX)
Goonies (Datasoft, ATR and XEX)
Pooyan (Datasoft, ATR and XEX)
Conan (Datasoft, ATR, 2 sides)
Karateka (Broderbund, ATR)
Lode Runner (Broderbund, ATR)

There are many others, but I SHOULD emphasize that MOST of the XEX files that I have tried to run have performed flawlessly, and I'm testing new ones every day. I'm using the 3.5F ver. and I generally load from mypicodos on the flashcart (but I've tried loading from mydos too).

I couldn't start:
crownland.xex, commando.xex, jest set willy 2007.xex
but yoomp!.xex started

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:18 pm 

It seems that Pharaoh's Curse and Pooyan work fine if you have versions that will survive a reset (as reset is required to get them to work).

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]