It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: MyIDE + 256 Transcend Power problem
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:00 am 

Hi,

Firstly nice product the MyIDE, well done on the that...

However I am having a problem with my recently purchased card. It seems the 256MB Transcend card will only work with an external power supply connected. The card itself works fine when connected to the PC (via USB) , and I have successfully copied several files over.

As stated though unless I have external power connected when running on the Atari I get the usual BUSY LOCKED routine, which after searching the forums suggests its a power problem somewhere.

I can live with it for now, but I thought the reason why the Transcend card was used was because it worked with power from the Atari??

Help would be appriceated ... I have a PAL 65XE here dont know if that changes matters at all.

TIA

Post subject: Re: MyIDE + 256 Transcend Power problem
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:55 am 

obb wrote:
Hi,

Firstly nice product the MyIDE, well done on the that...

However I am having a problem with my recently purchased card. It seems the 256MB Transcend card will only work with an external power supply connected. The card itself works fine when connected to the PC (via USB) , and I have successfully copied several files over.

As stated though unless I have external power connected when running on the Atari I get the usual BUSY LOCKED routine, which after searching the forums suggests its a power problem somewhere.

I can live with it for now, but I thought the reason why the Transcend card was used was because it worked with power from the Atari??

Help would be appriceated ... I have a PAL 65XE here dont know if that changes matters at all.

TIA

There are several posts that relate to internally powered cards/modules. Check this one out, since it may be relevant to your Transcend module:
http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum ... .php?t=625
The first thing I would check is the supply voltage to the module.

Is the Pin 20 power connected internally on the MyIDE? Look at this post by Classics:
http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum ... .php?t=368

IMO, the best way to add power is to attach a connector from the power switch on your XE. Although you lose "portability" from computer to computer, but you gain a good source for the +5V.

-Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:57 am 

I have had a look at the cartidge and it seems that Pin 20 is connected (cant really tell unless I crack it open) , so the Transcend card should have power going to it already. As stated on the products page you should be able to just plug it in without any mods.

Surely if the transcend module is being supplied with the myIDE card then it should work without modification, otheriwse there isnt a point in suppliying that particular cartridge.

Therefore either the Pin 20 wiring hasnt been done properly or the 65XE isnt providing enough power for the cartridge (possibly due to differences between PAL and NTSC systems).

I can wire up an internal 5v from the cartridge to the transcend module but that seems silly if it should already be doing that on Pin 20.

Not having a go, its a great product , would just to like a definitve answer before I crack open the cart thats all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:59 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Quote:
The card itself works fine when connected to the PC (via USB) , and I have successfully copied several files over.

Did you format the card using a PC filesystem format?

MyIDE does not support any PC filesystem formats like FAT32.

Try running the FDISK program from the cartridges internal flash. Select Maxflash from the boot menu, then Mr. Atari's FDISK.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:28 am 

Most likely the power on pin20 is not good.

This can happen when the cartridge contacts are dirty or your Atari PSU
has gone bad. What I mean with bad: the 5 volt being not clean (rimple)
enough for use. The Atari has no problem with a off-specification power,
but the new IDE-devices will. #1 cause in this case are bad caps in the PSU.

Cheers,
Sijmen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:58 pm 

classics wrote:
Quote:
The card itself works fine when connected to the PC (via USB) , and I have successfully copied several files over.

Did you format the card using a PC filesystem format?

MyIDE does not support any PC filesystem formats like FAT32.

Try running the FDISK program from the cartridges internal flash. Select Maxflash from the boot menu, then Mr. Atari's FDISK.

Steve

When I mean copied , I mean I ran several of the tools to get files onto it ...

It works perfectly fine in the atari with external power, I have played several games off it...

So I guess im stuffed short of replacing the Caps in the 65XE

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]