It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: MyIDETool and USB CF card reader
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:15 am 

Hello guys,

I would like to introduce myself first, as I'm new here.

My name is Marcelo, and i'm from Brazil. Have just assembled the DIY MyIDE, and programmed a flashROM with the 4.3I OS (an W29EE011 pulled from an old P266 mobo. Used the mobo with Uniflash to program the beast;-)), and thanks to the wonderfull MyIDE i'm having fun again with my 800XL.

Now i would like to use MyIDETool to transfer some 16MB ATRs i created in my PC to my 1GB CF card, so i can use them in MyIDE. And here my problem starts.

If i use an CF-IDE adapter in the PC, everything works wonderfully. But i don't really want to open up my PC case and unplug 2 IDE drives to plug my CF adapter to transfer the files, everytime i need to change something in my CF card.

I've bought a USB card reader for this purpose, but i can't find a way to make it identify my card geometry correctly.

In MyIDE i configured the card with the geometry: 1966/16/63 (CHS). But the card reader only identify the card as 123/255/63 (CHS). Despite that, the MyIDETool show my FDISK configuration right, with the 1966/16/63 geometry, but any writting to the card doesn't work.

Is there any way to make my WinXP mount this CF through my USB reader with the same geometry FDISK initialized my CF card in Atari side ? Or the only way would be look for another card reader/CF card with different geometry ?

I know the card geometry is the same i configured in FDISK, because this is what my PC BIOS reports when it's on the IDE port. The card reader's firmware (or maybe the generic USB mass storage driver in Winblows) seems to attribute a different generic value at it's own will . . .

Thanks in advance for any help !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:19 am 

Hello,

Well, I'm the developer of this nice device :-)
I'm happy to hear you are back at the 800XL.

You can ignore the setting read from the USB-reader.

With FDISK (on the Atari), you need to setup 16mb partitions you want to use and save this configuration.
Then go to your PC and use the Myide-tool to transfer.
Read the read.me file for usage of the correct switches.
Best is to run from a Command-window and make some batch-files to do the trick.

For large files it's best to use a USB 2.0 port......

Cheers,
Sijmen.

Post subject: MyIDETool and USB CF card reader
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:04 am 

Hello Mr. Sijmen !

It's good to hear from you. And yes, i know you are the author for this little wonder ;-)

Expect some donations on the next month, when my budget may be a little higher :-)

I've found a problem in your original schematics, that prevented me a long time ago to make the interface work with any HD i had. After some changes though, now i can make any CF/HD work with the standard LS chips ;-)

Anyway, my CF card is already rightly prepared with FDISK, and i have read everything i could about this subject before i asked for help here.

The MyIDETool always stopped in about 55% of the ATR partition copying process.

Right now i was doing the process again, from the beggining, to take some screenshots and post here. Guess what ? The thing worked !! 8-O

I really don't know what happened. Maybe the card reader is unreliable in transfers and didn't worked before for this reason. If it's the reason, surely it'll happen again. So i'll try it more times (much more for sure ;-)

Or maybe the partitions needed to be formatted before i transfered the images ? This card had the partitions already filled up, because i plugged it on my PC's IDE yesterday to transfer the files.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help and kindness !

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]