It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 11:39 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: SpartaDOS X MyIDE Driver
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:16 pm 

Someone was working on a driver module for SpartaDOS X awhile ago. What's the status of this? It should be fairly easy to create a driver module for MyIDE that allows us to use the internal MyIDE interface with SpartaDOS X 4.41 (??)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:51 pm 

And, hopefully, the MyIDE cart with the SDX cart with passthrough connector.

Post subject: MyIDE and SDX
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:56 pm 

That was me that wrote the driver... It works, but I have been having hardware problems. I had a 'questionable' cart, that Steve kindly replaced. Now, I think I finally narrowed it down to the 32 in one OS. If I remove it and install a standard XL/XE OSROM, it works fine.

I did an all-night disk access test, and it never locked up.

I am still working on partition table issues, but I am thinking about it.... Why bother with it? The driver would be smaller, using less of our precious RAM without Part. tables. I would like to get 8 bit mode and 512 byte / sectors working. That would use add the drive capacity instead of 50%. How about each drive being 16 Megs, selectable with the line in CONFIG.SYS. Example:

Device MYIDE 2 3 5 6 7

where drives 2,3,5,6,7 are IDE, and the other (non-listed) drives are not.

non-IDE drives may be any of the usual types, SIO devices, Indus, 810, 1050, Percom, ATR-8000, SIO2PC/APE, RAMdisks, etc. and possibly MIO, Blackbox, KMK/JZ PBI devices. I haven't tested SDX/MyIDE with PBI devices yet, but it should work.

Post subject: Re: MyIDE and SDX
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:48 am 

Kyle wrote:
I am still working on partition table issues, but I am thinking about it.... Why bother with it? The driver would be smaller, using less of our precious RAM without Part. tables.

Well, it would be incompatible with other DOSes and uses of the MyIDE hardware then. Personally, I would prefer to keep compatibility with the existing partition structures. With SpartaDOS X, you can put the drivers pretty much anywhere in extended ram, under the OS, etc...

Quote:
I would like to get 8 bit mode and 512 byte / sectors working.

This only works with CF cards, so you would lose anyone with a harddrive. Maybe two seperate drivers? One for CF only in 8-bit mode, and a normal one?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]